COMBATSIM Forum

TAW2.0 Brevity Codes: their meaning and correct use.

Wombat1940

@ Neph.

Spoke to HF. He's suggesting I collate what we have (yours, his, mine and others) and he will add a document to the Reference Section of the TAW2.0 Launcher. Its will be there for others (including me) to become familiar with and use on MP missions. It can be updated at regular intervals as we add additional popular terms at this thread, What do you think?

Mine today is:

BUDDY SPIKE = Friendly aircraft air-to-air indication on the Defense and/or Situation and/or Attack MFD's. To be followed by position/heading/altitude.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This what I believe we have covered so far. Thought I'd post here before proceeding further. "XXXXX" indicates the spoken word used by TAW2.0 MP pilots to communicate. Please review. All input from whoever would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

CUTs.jpg

Pretty thorough, Wombat.

I would add the following:

RAYGUN (Position/Heading/Altitude) =Indicates a radar lock-on to unknown aircraft. A request for a "BUDDY SPIKE"

Again, not as big a deal in TAW given the integrated IFF, but if you cover Buddy Spike you need to cover this.

ENGAGED DEFENSIVE or DEFENDING = When somebody else is trying to take you out, you need to address the threat/missile. This is the call saying that you have other things to worry about, your SA has shrunk to that missile, and it gives the wingman a heads up to keep an eye out on your behalf.

Since you covered ENGAGED, just an indication that you are not necessarily trying to kill, but are trying to keep from being killed.

ROCKEYE=MK20 Cluster Bomb

CLUSTER BOMB = Bomb designed for area coverage, drops multiple bomblets over an area to take out soft and lightly armored targets.

JDAM = Joint Direct Attack Munition, a GPS guided bomb. Target is preset with no way to retarget in game.

SADDLED = Informative from wingman/element indicating the return to briefed formation position.

Remove the bit about VISUAL TWO TIED. First, it's an example, and second, it should start with your callsign, then the code words (TWO TIED VISUAL).

Pretty thorough, Wombat.

Just extracted the one's that have appeared in this thread.

RAYGUN (Position/Heading/Altitude) =Indicates a radar lock-on to unknown aircraft. A request for a "BUDDY SPIKE"

Again, not as big a deal in TAW given the integrated IFF, but if you cover Buddy Spike you need to cover this.

OK. Will use wording from TAW2.0's Launcher Reference MBC, for consistency unless you think otherwise.

ENGAGED DEFENSIVE or DEFENDING = When somebody else is trying to take you out, you need to address the threat/missile. This is the call saying that you have other things to worry about, your SA has shrunk to that missile, and it gives the wingman a heads up to keep an eye out on your behalf. Since you covered ENGAGED, just an indication that you are not necessarily trying to kill, but are trying to keep from being killed.

I note TAW2.0's MBC say this:

DEFENSIVE (Spike/Missile/SAM/Mud/AAA)

Aircraft is in a defensive position and maneuvering with reference to the stated condition.

However, in our MP flights we say "GOING DEFENSIVE". Or at least, I do. Personally I like GOING DEFENSIVE. We are free to stick with whatever, as we are looking at preferred options for TAW2.0 MP only.

But if we are to change I think we use the definition from the MBC reference. What do we think?

ROCKEYE=MK20 Cluster Bomb

Good one! :thumbsup: Will include.

CLUSTER BOMB = Bomb designed for area coverage, drops multiple bomblets over an area to take out soft and lightly armored targets.

JDAM = Joint Direct Attack Munition, a GPS guided bomb. Target is preset with no way to retarget in game.

IMHO, I don't believe these definitions need to be added. We haven't done it for any other weapons and I personally don't think its part of this exercise.

SADDLED = Informative from wingman/element indicating the return to briefed formation position.

Will add. Nice to see you use the wording from the MBC. Helps with consistency. Not that we can't change them, if we think at TAW2.0 MP we prefer something "better".

Remove the bit about VISUAL TWO TIED. First, it's an example, and second, it should start with your callsign, then the code words (TWO TIED VISUAL).

Oooops! made a mistake here: I meant to include both.

“VISUAL, TWO TIED” = Number 2 in formation has locked on radar and visual contact.

“VISUAL, TWO SADDLED” = Number 2 in formation and lock broken.

The reason I had visual preceding "two tied" was for search requirements: I saw "visual" as the noun and "two tied" as adjectives.

I agree, I don't think either TTV or TSV need to be included.

But what about order of presentation for others?

eg. Should it be CLUSTER BOMBS/DUMB BOMBS/BUDDY SPIKE or BOMBS, CLUSTER/BOMBS, DUMB/SPIKE, BUDDY or both?

What do we think?

My preference? CLUSTER BOMBS/DUMB BOMBS/BUDDY SPIKE :) Sorta going against what I did in the document ................. but that's Battie for you. :lol:

"Commonly used Term" of the day:

WINCHESTER = No ordnance remaining.

Question: Does this include GUNS? :huh:

EDIT: I now understand it does not include guns. Thanks HF. However, it might be useful sometimes to identify "WINCHESTER, A to A" or "WINCHESTER, A to G"

GOING DEFENSIVE or DEFENSIVE (Spike/Missile/SAM/Mud/AAA) = Aircraft is in a defensive position and maneuvering with reference to the stated condition.

.... what ever we go for, I would like to add to the definition: "Don't bother me, I'm busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :superscare:

Or maybe that's understood.

"XXXXX" indicates the spoken word used by TAW2.0 MP pilots to communicate. New material in blue. Please review. All input from whoever would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

MBC3.jpg

Have I got ROCKEYE right?

Thanks HF. I think I understand about the key word now. eg. "DEFENSIVE" is the key word. If someone say "GOING DEFENSIVE" or even "DEFENDING" we all know what it means and what it means for the rest of us to do.

I have an even better idea... How about everyone speaks Latin. This will throw the enemy off and make the fly-ins even more attractive to new people who are intimiated already...

BTW... Latin for BANDIT is Lato :o)

Sing ken ken ................................................... which is Balinese for "No problems". ;)

Today's new "Commonly used Term" for TAW2.0 MP.

"BANDIT" = An aircraft identified as enemy, in accordance with theater ID criteria. The term does not necessarily imply direction or authority to engage.

:blush::banghead::blush::banghead::blush::banghead:

My excuse? Distracted by DSCW/FC3 problem. ;)

Now how good is this:

Battie as number 3 in the package.

Battie: "Three. .... RAYGUN, 50 miles, Bearing three two zero, Angels 15"

Lead: "Copy"

Gives me goose bumps ....... seriously. :icon_rock:

Oh! I note the MBC definition of ANGELS is height of friendly aircraft in thousands of feet. So maybe ANGELS doesn't go with RAYGUN as our definition of RAYGUN relates to unknown aircraft. :unsure:

Oh! I note the MBC definition of ANGELS is height of friendly aircraft in thousands of feet. So maybe ANGELS doesn't go with RAYGUN as our definition of RAYGUN relates to unknown aircraft. :unsure:

I think that's perfect battie... I think ANGELS is for whatever context you are using it for. In this case an unknown flight..

Angels is fine. If you listen to the transcript of the F-14s shooting down the MiGs in the Gulf of Sidra, on part of the exchange goes something like:

"Say Angels"

<something...>

"I meant HIS Angels"

In this context, "Say Angels" implies friendly aircraft. However, it's fine to call a contact using Angels (e.g. "Contact 150 for 40, Angels 23"). Just also an illustration that even real life fighter pilots with confirmed kills sometimes don't get it perfect when the stuff is flying. Again, the important thing is to communicate with as little airtime as possible.

Now as far as Raygun goes, what the caller is looking for is a "buddy spike" reply. If you're #3 locking onto your lead, you would call "tied"; Raygun is used when you're locking an unknown target.

Yes I understand the necessity for flexibility in its application, but as a definition I think it would be better put to trainee pilots as:

ANGELS Height of friendly aircraft in thousands of feet

This then covers unknown, friendly, bandits, etc.

Just my 2c worth ....

Maybe not by the book, but by common usage.

There are times when you need to be precise (tally vs visual, blind vs no joy), but without a bogie/bandit specific altitude codeword, angels is sometimes used to describe contact altitude. Technically you should say "28 thousand" instead of "angels 28", but the important thing is to get your message across.

Maybe not by the book, but by common usage.

There are times when you need to be precise (tally vs visual, blind vs no joy), but without a bogie/bandit specific altitude codeword, angels is sometimes used to describe contact altitude. Technically you should say "28 thousand" instead of "angels 28", but the important thing is to get your message across.

"28 thousand" surprises me as there is no reference to "angels" plus the thousand is included in the MBC definition of "angels".

So what are you suggesting in regard to getting the message across in regard to Altitude?

I've offered my preference in regard to TAW2.0 MP (ie. ANGELS = Height of aircraft in thousands of feet), but what is your preference?

Or for that matter, other pilots here at the ADF/TAW forum.