COMBATSIM Forum

TAW with HDR, Bloom, and other D3D9 effects!

Yes, D3D9 effects are possible in TAW with the use of a D3D9 Injector called SweetFX. I have tested this to work with both nGlide and dgVoodoo in D3D9 mode. The program can also be installed in the TAW folder and not have any adverse effects when using the D3D EXE (which is D3D5) or dgVoodoo in D3D7 mode.

Here are some comparative screenshots taken at 1000 game time. I used nGlide with 1.1 Gamma, so the "before" screenshots may look a little bleached. I went a bit overboard on Vibrance, Bloom, and HDR in order to demonstrate the capabilities. I also noticed no drop at all in frames while running with these enhancements, even with SMAA antialiasing at ultra.

A screenshot of the F-22 in the sun:

Before1.jpg

And after SweetFX is loaded:

After1.jpg

You can really see the lighting effects on the clouds and haze.

Here's the F-22 above the cloud layer. The lens flare is offset in this image.

Before2.jpg

And with SweetFX, you can see the lens flare is more extreme (I did go overboard on the lighting, so this is expected).

After2.jpg

Here's the F-22 above the cloud layer, with the haze in the background and the ground underneath.

Before3.jpg

And with SweetFX the haze layer is less "band like".

After3.jpg

Finally, the F-22 near the mountains.

Before4.jpg

And with SweetFX:

After4.jpg

One thing the screenshots don't convey is the more dynamic environment. The haze band, while still prominent, appears more dynamic with more moisture content, and looks less like it's supposed to cover up unrendered tiles.

The SweetFX can be found at guru3d, and utilities to do on the fly configuration can be found in this thread. Keep in mind that if you do this in TAW, you need to be using one of the Glide wrappers in D3D9, and you need to go to the map screen or the options screen (keypad . or Shift-O) before alt-tabbing out of TAW to change your settings.

I don't have the time or the patience to tweak with this from scratch, and I don't know what half of the settings do anyway. I encourage enterprising folks out there to create TAW profiles and submit them in this thread (they are text files, so you could just submit the content in the post using code tags).

Once we get some profiles we like (and we can have as many as we want) we will add this functionality directly into the launcher. Please, get those profiles rolling in!

HomeFries you are NOT gonna believe this but with SWEETFX S3D works in TAW now.. I can NOT Beleive it back in S3D with nVidia 3D Vision and TAW.. thnx man SWEET.. now where cn I set the configurations for SweetFX??

See the links. There are a couple of configurator programs, including one designed for Rise of Flight that works with other programs. That's actually what I used for the demo.

Glad to hear about S3D. Great news when I finally go in that direction.

well if you have a nvidia Supported DLP Projector it will work. not just any Monitor/Projector will work in S3D..nVidia has a list at their site on which projectors/monitors they support..

Oh by the way you can use DISCOVER 3DMode and use the red/blue glasses to see what it looks like if you are thinking of going S3D.. Discover mode works on ANY Monitor..

Interesting. Manipulating a Glide wrapper with TAW specific shaders is one area of promise.

Only polygons are passed through the wrapper, but due to the palette colours used, we have a fair idea of what the polygon is rendering.

I was playing with stuff last year, but only got as far as changing the river/sea colour.

redsea-1.jpg

Well, it is supposed to be the Red Sea.....

As a thought experiment, I've been pondering if it would be possible to somehow 'connect' the 3view/TFXplorer renderer as the backend of a Glide wrapper and/or the DosBox EF2000 3dfx stuff that I've been looking at.

Apart from the issue of using other people's code, what are the technical pitfalls?

Apart from the issue of using other people's code, what are the technical pitfalls?
There would be fine rendering, but no other extensions. Also, TFXplorer is still D3D9 (because some of you still use Windows XP). So, there would be no ground-breaking graphics and it wouldn't be fun programming either.

nGlide and dgVoodoo are "only" D3D9 as well, so I don't see an upside to going to DX10/11 at all.

As far as making an extension, I highly recommend contacting Zeus and working directly with nGlide. Zeus has been very helpful not just in allowing me to package nGlide with TAW, but he has also modified his code so that the wrapper will work when TAW is run from the launcher (which runs in XP compatibility mode because I used too many old school file commands).

• 3 months later...

O I have tried all the variations I can think of I even tried the new FX Configurator.. NO Luck getting 3D working.. I guess it must have been a fluk occuranceas I am not able to reproduce the 3D effect..

I got close where it would run and the nVidia 3d Vision emitter lit up but no Split image for stereo..Most times the game would just CTD with NO error messafge or anyerror kust a Straight CTD..

I am unsure wht to do to get this working again guess no 3D again.. I'll keep at it I even tried version 1.3 of SweetFX no luck.. I had better luck with v 1.4..

O I have tried all the variations I can think of I even tried the new FX Configurator.. NO Luck getting 3D working.. I guess it must have been a fluk occuranceas I am not able to reproduce the 3D effect..

I got close where it would run and the nVidia 3d Vision emitter lit up but no Split image for stereo..Most times the game would just CTD with NO error messafge or anyerror kust a Straight CTD..

I am unsure wht to do to get this working again guess no 3D again.. I'll keep at it I even tried version 1.3 of SweetFX no luck.. I had better luck with v 1.4..

Well I found the original version of SweetFX I was running no good still CTD.s before getting into the 3D World..still unsure what to do???

Well I found the original version of SweetFX I was running no good still CTD.s before getting into the 3D World..still unsure what to do???

HaHa you see Chance does favor a prepared mind.. ;) I either had a stroke of genious or luck of the draw but I tried a combo of SweetFX 1.3 with the Config modeled in and voila 3D is now working again..

If chance favors the prepared mind, then the documented process leaves nothing to chance! Please post the particular combination you used so that I can make a reference to it in the FAQs and/or include in the next build.

here are the details: I installed SweetFX verion 1.3 along with the SweetFX Configurator v1.3. I used the DGVoodoo version included in TAW 2.0.. Along with having the NVidia 3D Vision kit I used a 480GTX eith the 314.07 drivers.. I would imagine this should work for anybody ellse who has a NVidia 3D Vision setup and using the above drivers and SweetFX Verion 1.3.. Small note I made a Mod config for SweetFX for use with the GME..

Sounds simple enough. What was stopping it from working before?

Have you tried the current SweetFX configuration with nGlide? I would really be interested to find this out.

Making it a GME mod is definitely the way to go. If I put the SweetFX features into an install, it will be via GME much like how the current weather is implemented.

Making it a GME mod is definitely the way to go. If I put the SweetFX features into an install, it will be via GME much like how the current weather is implemented.

:thumbsup: Maybe I can beta test?

Sounds simple enough. What was stopping it from working before?

Have you tried the current SweetFX configuration with nGlide? I would really be interested to find this out.

I think it did not work as I was using 1.4 without the configurator program ?? I am almost afraid of messing with it further as it currently works..

I think it did not work as I was using 1.4 without the configurator program ?? I am almost afraid of messing with it further as it currently works..

I know the feeling "if it ain't broke just leave it alone" :lol:

No problem, but you had a non-working setup and I was wondering if you had a known non-working configuration. Sounds like 1.3 is the way to go. It shouldn't matter what configurator you use since SweetFX uses a text file, unless some configurators accidentally nerf the config file. I would also be interested to see what your SweetFX config file for TAW looks like.

Wombat, I'll see about installing VB6 on my laptop, and I'll be sure to copy over my latest code base. No promises, but I'll see what I can do about updating the launcher EXE while I'm away for the next 3 weeks.

I would also be interested to see what your SweetFX config file for TAW looks like.

Where do I find the config file I can post it ?? I just tested SweetFX 1.4 and the 3d still worked?? Not sure how or why it did not before will test further but it looks like the version does not matter. [erhaps I did not have something setup in the dgvoodoo setup??

Wombat, I'll see about installing VB6 on my laptop, and I'll be sure to copy over my latest code base. No promises, but I'll see what I can do about updating the launcher EXE while I'm away for the next 3 weeks.

:thumbsup: Anything that may improving "eye candy" for TAW2.0 is worth support.