COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Flaming Cliffs 3 Cougar HOTAS+MFD Profile Available

EDIT: This file has been superseded by a TARGET script with similar functionality and additional features. All development on this Foxy profile is suspended.

I have just uploaded my Flaming Cliffs 3 Cougar profile to my Mediafire site. It is now available for download.

http://www.mediafire...zbzm2ipxkhhenob

Even though it is v2.0, this is the first public release, and the first version polished enough to use the same profile for all FC3 jets, even with differing functionality.

Included in this profile are:

• Special optional cannon logic for Russian fighters
  • Throttle logic, including user-defined curves and engine start/stop with idle detent (don't worry, there are safeguards against inadvertent engine shutdown)
  • Integration with Cougar MFDs

Here are the graphics of the HOTAS and MFD profiles respectively.

gallery_1267_16_108372.jpg

gallery_1267_16_11541.jpggallery_1267_16_149619.jpg

This is a limited distribution at this point because I would like to get your feedback. I haven't fully tested the functionality in the Su-25, nor have I tested the profiles as they pertain to each aircraft to a great extent. I'm relying on you guys to provide me with constructive criticism on how I can improve the profile before distribution to a wider audience.

Please provide your feedback in this thread.

Also, be sure to read the readme file. Its content is critical to getting the profile working.

Edited by Home Fries

Downloading now. Thanks.

In regard to the MFD's. Are your cardboard window displays (shown above) available sized for the use with the TM Cougar MFD's?

Also can you point me to your Falcon 4AF/BMS4.32 Cougar profile please. Thanks.

I'm sticking with my own Cougar profile for TAW2.0, but have nothing of real value for AF/BMS and nothing at all for FC3.

Oh .......... and you under value your work.

I'm confident making your v2.0 FC3 profile available through the DCS Forum would be most appreciated. Your beta version would more than measure up for a v1.0 public release and get you plenty of objective input for a patch.

In regard to the MFD's. Are your cardboard window displays (shown above) available sized for the use with the TM Cougar MFD's?

Perfectly. The PDF is included in the file.

Also can you point me to your Falcon 4AF/BMS4.32 Cougar profile please. Thanks.

I use completely separate profiles because BMS utilizes HOTAS whereas AF does not (or at least not nearly to the extent). I'll see what I can find.

In the meantime, try using BMS without a profile and see where that gets you (since the actual HOTAS functions are modeled by default).

I found a nasty bug in 2.0. 2.01 has just been uploaded.

Wombat, the nasty bug shouldn't affect you. Just copy over the new files and re-import the Su-25/Su-25T HOTAS LUA files. Then you should be good to go since you will want to use ANT for your rudder anyway.

Neph, if you're the other download, you will need to re-import the HOTAS Cougar LUA files, especially the one for the Russian fighters.

In both cases, you will also need to re-import the A-10A keyboard LUA file.

I use completely separate profiles because BMS utilizes HOTAS whereas AF does not (or at least not nearly to the extent). I'll see what I can find. .......

OK, but it'll be your FC3 profile I'll be checking first. Not into BMS just yet. That's why I need your AF profile. Must check. I might already have it.

......... try using BMS without a profile and see where that gets you (since the actual HOTAS functions are modeled by default).

Are you suggesting importing the BMS.key profile to AF?

In regard to your FC3 profile. What if I bin the v2.0 and download the v2.01?

Definitely bin 2.0 and go with the 2.01. That's the better option here.

BTW, my A-10C profile (in the works) is also compatible with my FC3 line of profiles. It's a separate Cougar profile, but works with the same modifiers.

For the AF profile, go here and download Jagstang's profile. Be sure to get the AF version.

Definitely bin 2.0 and go with the 2.01. That's the better option here.

BTW, my A-10C profile (in the works) is also compatible with my FC3 line of profiles. It's a separate Cougar profile, but works with the same modifiers.

For the AF profile, go here and download Jagstang's profile. Be sure to get the AF version.

:thumbsup:

Bump for 2.03. Improved Launch Authorization Override and integrated it into the cannon logic. Flying Russian birds without the Western cannon logic now uses S2 and TG1 to momentarily permit Launch Authorization Override. Added Gun Funnel Target Wingspan to ANT axis for Russian fighters.

Version 2.04 is out. This version utilizes a LUA modification to allow the use of NVGs in the A-10A, Su-25, and Su-25T. NVGs for the A-10 and Su-25 are toggled with the LMFD OSB4, and the Su-25T with S3+LMFD OSB4. H/T Morkva 55 for the tip on how to make this happen.

9c613b52566f.jpg

19ad329d0832.jpg

EDIT: In my readme, I mistakenly refer to this as a "Hack", reason being that I was tired last night when I wrote the change. This is not a hack, but rather it is simply mapping the MiG-29/Su-27 CAC mode (5) view in the controller LUAs to the aircraft that don't have a HMD. NVGs are substituted as a result, and as Morkva 55 pointed out, this is strictly an undocumented feature. For people concerned with multiplayer compatibility, this will cause no issues.

Thanks, Starkiller.

Truth is that the hard part was syncing all of the LUA profiles to use the same buttons so I could do a minimum of Cougar programming. With the exception of the trigger logic routine and the semi-intelligent laser routine that uses trigger stage 1 (both of which are overrated and will be removed in my next version), you could fairly easily map just about everything to the X52. Just look at the code and see what DirectX buttons were mapped where and do the same (the important functions tend to be DirectX for maximum flexibility).

There's also a profile available at Combat Ace that should work for FC3. I couldn't say for sure, though, since I don't have first hand use of the profile.

Just an update:

I've been working hard to convert this profile to TARGET, and I am almost there. There are a number of advantages to TARGET, especially if you use the MFDs:

• Operational LEDs for Airbrake and Gear status (must have MFDs).
  • TARS/Aries Radio and VAC compatible.
  • Added NVG functionality to A-10A, Su-25, and Su-25T (see earlier post for examples).
  • Added keystrokes and MFD functions for PeterP's Kneeboard mod (highly recommended).
  • An optional "CommState" feature that maps F1-F12 to Hats 2-4 while the MIC Switch is depressed. This works with the MIC Switch in any position for multiple radios/TARS users.
  • Pending approval, an optional routine by PeterP and ivanwfr that zooms you view to your HUD while the first Trigger detent is depressed, then reverts to your old view when TG1 is released.
  • Modular format allows you to switch aircraft profiles on the fly (must have MFDs).
  • Easier setup, integration and customization options (i.e. can select TrackIR, customize timing intervals, etc. all from a single file). No more separate LUA profiles for POV or TrackIR users.

Finally, since it uses TARGET, it doesn't load to your Cougar firmware, saving you from yet another opportunity to reflash your Cougar!

Right now the FC3/Su-25T module is almost complete, and I also have a "Standard DirectX" module that maps the button functions to their DirectX counterparts, but includes many of the features listed above to allow easy mapping for your own personalized uses. There is also a rudimentary (for right now) P-51D Mustang profile that is similar to the DirectX profile, but maps the Comm Switch to T1 to be more like the real Mustang. The A-10C Warthog profile will follow shortly, and will plug directly into this system, allowing you to hot-swap it using MFD buttons.

Current Known issues:

• No idle detent based Engine Start/Stop routine (can't get the code to work yet).
  • No Eject command (can't get the compound button function to work).
  • Certain options must be enabled/disabled manually in the profile itself, as opposed to with a key combination, because the toggle functions aren't working.
  • No support yet for VAC.
  • CommState as implemented negates the use of one of the MIC Switches in DCS (MIC Sw. Up in the A-10C, or T5 on the Cougar). T5 is mapped to Teamspeak 3 Press To Talk when CommState is active. This isn't so much a known issue as it is a system limitation.

More to follow.

Edited by Home Fries

I have just uploaded my Flaming Cliffs 3 Cougar profile to my Mediafire site. It is now available for download.

http://www.mediafire...zbzm2ipxkhhenob

Even though it is v2.0, this is the first public release, and the first version polished enough to use the same profile for all FC3 jets, even with differing functionality.

Included in this profile are:

• Special optional cannon logic for Russian fighters
  • Throttle logic, including user-defined curves and engine start/stop with idle detent (don't worry, there are safeguards against inadvertent engine shutdown)
  • Integration with Cougar MFDs

Here are the graphics of the HOTAS and MFD profiles respectively.

gallery_1267_16_108372.jpg

gallery_1267_16_11541.jpggallery_1267_16_149619.jpg

This is a limited distribution at this point because I would like to get your feedback. I haven't fully tested the functionality in the Su-25, nor have I tested the profiles as they pertain to each aircraft to a great extent. I'm relying on you guys to provide me with constructive criticism on how I can improve the profile before distribution to a wider audience.

Please provide your feedback in this thread.

Also, be sure to read the readme file. Its content is critical to getting the profile working.

ok a question for HF's.. lets focus on Hat switch 2.. now there are 4 sets of commands with a few commands in each set.. now what I am having trouble is figuring out what the Graphic is telling me lets focus on the command TARGET LOCK now it states this: " /D" I got that the "/ " Means the shift button is D supposed to mean DOWN?? Now the other one is HUD COLOR the command is " / O " what am I supposed to do there what is O??

/O is "Out", as opposed to /I for "in". This refers to the Shift button, or S3.

If there is a /O without a modifier, it covers down on the previous line. I did this to save space.

So for example, Hat 2 Right (H2R) has:

/U/I Radar/Gun Elev Increase

/O  CAC HMS

/M/I Radar/Gun Elev Increase

The /O without a modifier means that it covers the previous line, so if the previous line was /U/I, then this would be /U/O, or in the unshifted up state. Had this entry been under /M/I, it would have been the default setting (middle out, or no modifier states enabled).

OK I am learning the profile know I understand what they symbology on your graphic means .. ;)

Now I am having a small problem not sure if it is me or the prfile probally me.. What is going on when I select the BVR Mode it does not kick in I have to cycle the Dogfight switch up to down to get into BVR mode, Now should it just work by cycling down to get into BVR Mode without having to cycle up then down??

Also is there an indicator in the F15 pit when the Jammers are ON??

Also in your Graphic you have Flares listed for both Up and Down on CMS.. which one is Chaff ;)

Not sure what to say about the dogfight switch. That should work going down from up or center, and I've tested that myself. Make sure you're not in a shifted state when using the dogfight switch; I set the switches to null when shifted so you could switch Cougar U/D states without having to change modes in-game (i.e. if you want to turn your nav lights off without breaking lock on a target, use shifted state to flip dogfight to middle, then adjust navlights, then shifted state back to your previous dogfight position).

For the Jammer indication, you will see 4 flashing diagonal dashes in the center of the TEWS when the jammer is active.

The graphic is a typo on my part. Forward is chaff; think that heat-seakers chase your tailpipe, so flares are aft. Ergo chaff is forward in the shifted state.

EDIT: Dang, Killer beat me to it, and had a better answer!

Fellas,

I got the engine start/stop and ejection routines working in TARGET, and VAC compatibility added. I also took the profile for a test ride last night and while I got my clock cleaned by bandits, the profile worked better than my flying! I'm especially happy with the CommState routine; I was able to get takeoff clearance while taxiing without taking my eyes off the screen or having to use the keyboard.

I'll put together the readme files (one for installation, one for reference) and have the FC3 beta out shortly with the A-10C and P-51D to follow.