COMBATSIM Forum

TAW and Windows 8

mikew

I have a vintage Dell PC from 2008 which had reasonable specs in its day (Q6600 CPU and GT8800 GPU). Lately though, its Vista OS has been misfiring badly and it seemed to spend a lot of time thrashing the hard disk.

So, instead of chucking it away, I thought I'd get a $40 Win8 license to see what all the fuss is about.

....and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Despite only doing an upgrade rather than a clean install, the machine is now working nicely and I think I can live with the crap interface. :)

Anyway, what about TAW?

I've found TAW2.20 works OK if I do this:

1. Install the game

2. Setup preferences using tawmenu.exe

3. Run the game using _f22.exe

If I run the game from the setup program, I get horrendous menu issues. Is this the 'Desktop Composition' problem mentioned elsewhere?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's compatibility modes for individual .exe files (as before), but as far as I know, there is no way to get the look and feel of an earlier version of Windows without installing some third party software. I think there's quite a few of them about...

Thanks, Mike. I didn't have any luck when I tried TAW with Win8 (even the direct EXE), but I'll post this link in the known issues thread. I wonder if the requirement for the launcher to be in XP compatibility mode hoses the launch, as this was also an issue with earlier versions of nGlide. If that's the case, I'll really need to revise many of the routines that use 98/ME style file commands (when I was first learning VB6), or I can give you the source code to tweak and test as you like (I went back to Win7 and have no way to test the launcher in Win8 without reinstalling).

I suppose another thing to try is DirectDraw compatibility tools for Windows 8, though if the problem is with the launcher and compatibility mode I'm not optimistic.

@Neph, there is no way within the OS to go back to a Windows 7 interface (and AFAIK the 3rd party solutions aren't perfect), but there is still compatibility mode.

The part of compatibility mode that allowed TAW to work with Vista/7 is known as "disable desktop composition", and it disables the Aero interface (the semi-transparent window-edges and taskbar, win-tabbing, etc.) and reverts to the XP interface while a program is running. This is necessary for many old programs, and this compatibility option has been removed from Windows 8.

Note that I didn't change any compatibility settings, and am using nGlide this time. The launcher worked fine for setup, ie declining the DirectX runtime, accepting the codec and pointing to the nGlide setup program, the only problem was running the game where the menu displayed was out of sync with the one in use. This is not a problem if you know where the buttons are. :)

man win 8 sounds like a real goat rope..

Well, yes. You wouldn't want to leave Win7 for it.

The whole point is to get us used to the app store ecosysytem.

For instance, Freecell isn't included in the win8 install, but you can download it for 'free' if you sign up to the app store.

....... I've found TAW2.20 works OK if I do this:

1. Install the game

2. Setup preferences using tawmenu.exe

3. Run the game using _f22.exe

Busy with other things at the moment, but having recently acquired a new Notebook with Win 8 OS, I await the possible progress in this thread with hopeful anticipation. It might be a Saviour for me and for others, with the inevitability of the total takeover regarding Notebooks to the Win8 OS. In the meantime I will follow the three step procedure above and say a small pray. Please keep up the good work. :icon_bow:

Anyway, what about TAW?............................ I've found TAW2.20 works OK if I do this:1. Install the game2. Setup preferences using tawmenu.exe3. Run the game using _f22.exe............................
Busy with other things at the moment, but having recently acquired a new Notebook with Win 8 OS, I await the possible progress in this thread with hopeful anticipation. It might be a Saviour for me and for others, with the inevitability of the total takeover regarding Notebooks to the Win8 OS. In the meantime I will follow the three step procedure above and say a small pray. Please keep up the good work. :icon_bow:
Well I've got TAW2.22a working in conjunction with my new Notebook (15.6'' screen [16:9 wide] with 1920 x 1080 native resolution) running with Win8 OS and my X52 'stick. I'm using the nGlide Wrapper with 1920 x 1080 Res and full screen. All setup through a poorly viewed Launcher. (I think its the problem with Win8 and hopefully not the F22.exe). Like Mike, I'm launching through the F22.exe and not the Launcher. (Thanks Mike for that tip). More tests on reliability, stability and "eye candy" experiences to follow.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I only played TAW for a short while on Win8, and am back with my Win7 PC now.

How infested with crapware (Norton etc) is your laptop? With Win 7, you could download a clean version of the OS and use your existing license key to install it. I don't think the same can be done with Win8.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I only played TAW for a short while on Win8, and am back with my Win7 PC now.

So far so good, but remember I'm just looking at TAW2.0 playing performance. To use the analogy of a car: I'm just at the wheel and have no intent to lift the bonnet. The loading and main menu aspect is 4 x3, but as soon as I start a mission it goes to wide screen. The terrain colours are a bit drab, but that might be just due to my default video card setting. My Notebook specification are now in my signature for reference (updating now).

How infested with crapware (Norton etc) is your laptop? With Win 7, you could download a clean version of the OS and use your existing license key to install it. I don't think the same can be done with Win8.

At the moment I only have loaded a Quicken Accounting package, Kaspersky Internet security, Saitek X52 drivers, Office Home 2010, WinZip, TAW2.22a and accompanying MSI crap. And that's it at the moment. I don't have any Win7 OS. I run my PC with XP. I loose warranty if I replace Win8 with Win7 on the Notebook and I have to replace my HDD and then install Win7. However Win8 is the current future, not Win7. So that's why I'm trying to use Win8 with my preferred archival Apps and Games. Next year it'll be Win9 and then WinX and on and on ..... Hopefully my age will prevent me to having to make too many more "updates". I was always happy with Win98. :lol:

Thanks for the interest Mike. :thumbsup:

Just to clarify what I meant by 'crapware'....it's the unwanted programs installed by the PC manufacturers together with the Windows OS, with Norton being the most notorious. I didn't want to imply that any programs you install yourself are crap. :)

The last laptop I bought had Win7, and was so infested that I replaced it with Linux without worrying about the warranty.

I've heard the situation is improved with Win8 in that Microsoft don't want OEMs ruining the 'experience'.

Anyway, I'd like a portable WIndows machine again but I think I'll wait to see what the x86 Surface is like (apart from being expensive).

Just to clarify what I meant by 'crapware'....it's the unwanted programs installed by the PC manufacturers together with the Windows OS, with Norton being the most notorious. I didn't want to imply that any programs you install yourself are crap. :)

The last laptop I bought had Win7, and was so infested that I replaced it with Linux without worrying about the warranty.

I've heard the situation is improved with Win8 in that Microsoft don't want OEMs ruining the 'experience'.

Anyway, I'd like a portable WIndows machine again but I think I'll wait to see what the x86 Surface is like (apart from being expensive).

I understood what you meant by crapware. My MSI came very clean, although my 30 day trial copy of Kaspersky came with some accounting package. :rolleyes: I think I could give the warranty away if I was just considering sticking with XP like on my PC. But IMHO if I'm going to upgrade the OS, better to tackle Win8 rather than Win7. Anyway, that's what's preloaded.

One small problem I am encountering with TAW2.0 and Win8 is in regard to enabling TAW extra features normally enabled through the Launcher. As I have to launch TAW2.0 through the F22.exe file rather than the TAW2.0 Launcher (Win8 has problems with launching through the Launcher), I can't enable features such as "Random load screen at startup". Is there away to activate this option other than through the Launcher? Thanks.

No. Any features that go through the launcher are Visual Basic routines, and can't be run with the _f22.exe directly.

Another thing you have to be very careful about: since the launcher no longer manages running your EXE, you need to make sure you don't do any mod management while TAW is running. This will hose up your install. Remember, if you don't run the EXE from the launcher, the Hawkbat routine is inactive.

EDIT: I got to thinking, while I can't test any launcher changes in Win8, I can test them in Win7 without compatibility mode enabled. I have a feeling it's the compatibility mode that is screwing things up in Win8, and it's probably a good idea to replace the legacy code anyway.

Wombat, if I generate a new EXE would you be willing to test it (and I mean run it through the ringer) on Win 8?

No. Any features that go through the launcher are Visual Basic routines, and can't be run with the _f22.exe directly.

Right. I can get it to change once by launching through the Launcher. Game crashes of course and I have to reboot my computer to close TAW2.0. But its a way of changing the load screen. :lol: I'm calling it: "How to change your load screen at startup in Win8 OS". :rofl:

Another thing you have to be very careful about: since the launcher no longer manages running your EXE, you need to make sure you don't do any mod management while TAW is running. This will hose up your install. Remember, if you don't run the EXE from the launcher, the Hawkbat routine is inactive.

Sorry, " ...... you need to make sure you don't do any mod management while TAW is running ......" ? Does that mean using GME or is it bigger than that?

and " ..... Hawkbat routine is inactive ....... ". What does this mean? :huh:

EDIT: I got to thinking, while I can't test any launcher changes in Win8, I can test them in Win7 without compatibility mode enabled. I have a feeling it's the compatibility mode that is screwing things up in Win8, and it's probably a good idea to replace the legacy code anyway.

Wombat, if I generate a new EXE would you be willing to test it (and I mean run it through the ringer) on Win 8?

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_rock: :icon_rock: :icon_rock:

Win8 is the future. We can't fight that but we mustn't let TAW2.0 die. :( :( :(

Just an update on my MSI Win8 Notebook software installation:

TAW2.0 running in widescreen.

Quicken Cashbook V8.2 running.

Falcon4AF running in widescreen.

Saitek X52 working.

MS Sidewinder not working but only need for 3 months in Bali with TAW2.0. (It travels well). ;)

Fraps working.

Cannon IP90 Printer working.

Apache OpenOffice running

Kaspersky Internet Security running.

4G Broadband Wireless Internet access running.

Now for:

Adobe Reader, Skype, Outlook Express, Teamspeak3, Dropbox and Box.net.

Just an update on my MSI Win8 Notebook software installation:

TAW2.0 running in widescreen.

Quicken Cashbook V8.2 running.

Falcon4AF running in widescreen.

Saitek X52 working.

MS Sidewinder not working but only need for 3 months in Bali with TAW2.0. (It travels well). ;)

Fraps working.

Cannon IP90 Printer working.

Apache OpenOffice running

Kaspersky Internet Security running.

4G Broadband Wireless Internet access running.

Now for:

Adobe Reader, Skype, Outlook Express, Teamspeak3, Dropbox and Box.net.

Update:

Adobe Reader installed and working,

Adobe FlashPlayer installed and running,

Skype running,

Teamspeak3 installed and running,

Dropbox installed and running,

Box.net installed and running.

EDIT: Sidewinder installed and working.

Outlook Express I've had to replace with some other Win8 compatible email app (did I say app or crap ...... ;) ) which I've yet to master. :angry:

Edited by Wombat1940

Sorry, " ...... you need to make sure you don't do any mod management while TAW is running ......" ? Does that mean using GME or is it bigger than that?

and " ..... Hawkbat routine is inactive ....... ". What does this mean?

The Hawkbat routine is a subroutine within the Launcher that detects if TAW was launched from within the launcher. If TAW is active, it disables mission editor or GME/skin functionality.

When you run _f22.exe independently of the launcher, Hawkbat is not enabled, so there is nothing stopping you from changing skins, loading GME, changing weather, etc. All of these will corrupt your install if TAW is running, so that's what I meant about not doing mod management. To be safe, exit TAW completely before you launch the Launcher or GME, and exit the launcher before running TAW.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Neph! My new settings for F22.exe (TAW2.0).

compmode_zps6757dcec.png

It was running in Win8 but slow load and well .......... not perfect. ;) So I'm going to give compatibility mode a try. I'll let you know how it goes .........