COMBATSIM Forum

TAW and Windows 8

mikew

Thanks Neph! My new settings for F22.exe (TAW2.0).

compmode_zps6757dcec.png

It was running in Win8 but slow load and well .......... not perfect. ;) So I'm going to give compatibility mode a try. I'll let you know how it goes .........

Well, Im going back to Win8. Somebody has to test out TAW2.0 with Win8 OS and it might as well be me. Win7 compatible mode didn't really seem any difference. In both OS's you can't load succssfully thru the Launcher, but we new that already regarding Win8. Plus its easy to switch to between Win7 Compatibility Mode and Win8 if I really strike trouble with Win8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touch Screen Monitor for TAW2.0 .......

Well ........ I very much doubt, but at least I'm prepared with Win8. :lol: However I bet it will work with the 2D 'pit in Falcon4AF, but what about the 3D 'pit in BMS?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6714/acer-t232hl-touch-comes-to-the-desktop

• 2 weeks later...

GOT IT!!!!!!! My Saitek X52 working with Win8 on the Notebook!!!!! :woohoo::beer::nana:

Gees, it took some digging though ......

Heaps of pilots screaming at MS for fixes, but Saitek seem to have it covered with revised drivers and a "revised" SST manual.

If you need the drivers let me know and I'll box.net them, Use at own risk of course. Have a a link to the manual as well.

Glad to heat it. :)

A bit off topic, but I hit my first real problem with Win8 last week. It wouldn't recognise the 1998 vintage HP all-in-one printer/scanner attached to the parallel port.

Not really off topic ..... its just another problem with "favourite" hardware/software that won't run with Win8. I have a similar problem with an accounting package I use. I acquired it in 2004 and had no problems with 98, XP or 7. When installed with Win 8 it tells me I have 13 ..... 12 ...... 11 ...... 10........ etc, more bootups before I must re-register! I've had the software for 9 years damn then ...... and never been asked to re-register before! God knows what the registration details are now. I tried uninstalling and re-installing but its kept count of my previous "trial" goes from the earlier installation........ 9 ....... 8 ........ 7 ........6, etc and I'm starting to panic. Win8 must keep its own count! Its not even one of their products! ....5 .....4 ...... 3 ...... Its not as if I can buy the Win8 2013 version. Its incompatible with the 2004 version ...... 2 ......1 ....... Backup, backup! [4 hours copying of all new transactions to my PC running XP] ........0 :nuke: If it wasn't serious it would be funny ...... :(

I feel your collective pain on many levels.

I had a copy of Paintshop Pro that I was using for my wife's business, but it was incompatible with Aero mode and then with a Vista service pack it was no longer even compatible period. $100 down the tubes. It's also annoying when the newer OSs don't support the hardware combinations I painstakingly set up, or arbitrarily drop support for things like the gameport (this one still pisses me off). Now the thing that drives me nuts is my Nostromo controllers won't come back on line when my Windows 7 system wakes up (though in all fairness to Microsoft, this is a Belkin driver issue).

I keep a parallel port printer around only because I have a parallel compatible print server, though now that I have 2 network compatible printers it's not as much of an issue. I would say that attaching the all-in-one to a parallel server might work, but the scanner software will probably have issues with this. At least you can find decent all-in-one units for under $100 (I got my Epson Workspace 325 for about $60 on sale). They go through ink like a redneck goes through beer, but that's why I keep my laserjet handy for the bigger jobs.

EDIT: Wombat, have you tried contacting support for your accounting software. It's unlikely that they will provide direct support for software that old, but a licensing issue that prevents you from using legally purchased software may be something that they help you with.

I feel your collective pain on many levels. ........... ............... redneck goes through beer, but that's why I keep my laserjet handy for the bigger jobs.

EDIT: Wombat, have you tried contacting support for your accounting software. It's unlikely that they will provide direct support for software that old, but a licensing issue that prevents you from using legally purchased software may be something that they help you with.

Great post HF. Seems unfair, but its nice to know that we're not alone. I'm sure we, if not everybody has had, or will endure, the same pain.

Yes you are right ....... my copy of my accounting package is an unlicensed copy. I got it just to test it, and then got greedy. Its not like me, being an ex-part-time publisher and naturally an avid supporter of copyright protection systems. I don't blame what DCS has done with their copyright protection. Its a matter of survival. What I would give now to pay triple the retail price to get an approved copy of my accounting package.

However, I might be lucky. The new caravan park's manager's wife is a trainer for the accounting package company in question. Maybe I should come clean with her, pay the necessary cost, and see if she can help me ........ :)

By the way, extract from another post worth repeating at least once: :lol:

"As you might have guessed I've been unshaped. Bit sooner than I thought. :lol: "

I moved the printer over to an older computer running XP, but I had to do something like 'enable legacy plug and play support' before it was recognised. Maybe I can do something similar for Win8.

Anyway, having scanned the one page I wanted, I had 2 PCs up and running, so I set up TAW multiplayer to do some networking experiments. The older PC has MS FF1 joystick on its gameport which is the best joystick that I've ever used. :)

Well done ...... almost every huddle completed. Its Win8 that's the big one.

I've try a clean re-installed of my accounting package only to find it was not clean. There were records stored somewhere that I had missed in the uninstall. So did a total clean out again which seemed to get the the offending records this time. The fresh install this time just asked me to register not re-register which was promising. I've been here before with an XP OS machine install. You just cancel it and import the existing folder from the other computer and over-right the new folder in the Win8 Notebook. Oh ....... and importantly change to XP compatibility mode. (Thanks HF and Neph for that). So things look ok. But I will only use it as backup until I'm confident it will work continuously.

• 3 months later...

I can play fine with Windows-8 through running from _f22.exe directly. If I use WinXP compat mode with the exe file, it will show the same glitch as running from launcher. So I guess the problem is WinXP compat mode in launcher. If you can rewrite the VB6 code to do away with legacy file system to enable to lanuch the launcher without WinXp compat mode, I think TAW 2.0 will run on Win8 through launcher.

I can play fine with Windows-8 through running from _f22.exe directly. If I use WinXP compat mode with the exe file, it will show the same glitch as running from launcher. So I guess the problem is WinXP compat mode in launcher. If you can rewrite the VB6 code to do away with legacy file system to enable to lanuch the launcher without WinXp compat mode, I think TAW 2.0 will run on Win8 through launcher.
See my response here. We are waiting for Home Fries to update the Launcher to enable launching from Launcher. Its no real problem launching directly through the f22.exe. You can still use the Launcher for the other functions and in fact its the best way to access many functions.

• 6 months later...

I've now updated my Notebook's OS from Win8.0 to Win8.1 and, you've guessed, TAW2.0 won't load. This is from neither the Launcher nor the F22 .exe.

With Win8.0 I was running "nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (16 x 9) Res" as identified in my Notebook signature below. I've checked the TAW2.0 Addendum Manual, read all the posts in this thread, tried TrackIR FOV in both Fullscreen and Widescreen but keep getting this:

win81_zps95f3d2df.jpg

Any suggestions? Thanks

TAW still uses 800x600 for the 2D GUI, and the Glide wrapper only takes care of the 3D world.

Go into the display settings (probably advanced) and see if 800x600 is one of the available resolutions. I can't tell you exactly how to do this in Win 8, but if I had to guess 800x600 is disabled.

TAW still uses 800x600 for the 2D GUI, and the Glide wrapper only takes care of the 3D world.

Go into the display settings (probably advanced) and see if 800x600 is one of the available resolutions. I can't tell you exactly how to do this in Win 8, but if I had to guess 800x600 is disabled.

800 x 600 is not an option in display settings. There is only one option for this Notebook and that's 1920 x 1080. This is annoying because in Win8.0 it worked just fine. Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall TAW2.0 .......

EDIT:

WARNING!!!

Updating to Win8.1 from Win8.0 has so far produced the following:

Unable to load TAW2.0, EF2000, Falcon4AF

ARMA2OA runs at a frame rate of less than 3 fps.

I had a similar issue with Win8.0 on a Microsoft tablet PC in that it did not support 800x600. Updating the Intel graphics driver fixed the issue, although I had to 'hide' it from Microsoft Update which wanted to revert to the stock driver.

The machine worked OK when I installed Win8.1.

I had a similar issue with Win8.0 on a Microsoft tablet PC in that it did not support 800x600. Updating the Intel graphics driver fixed the issue, although I had to 'hide' it from Microsoft Update which wanted to revert to the stock driver.

The machine worked OK when I installed Win8.1.

Thanks Mike. I probably overreacted a bit with my previous post, however Win 8.0 operators need to understand 8.1 is virtually a new OS. Because 8.1 is unable to update all the latest drivers .......

drivers_zps0a328350.jpg

..... it just installs the bare basics and there is no unplanned 8.0 wind-back. :whoa:

I buy all my hardware from a great Aussie retailer (Scorpion Electronics - bless em) so I made a phone call (yes .... open the day before New Year's Day), a quick visit and 15 minutes later had all the latest 8.1 drivers for video, audio, chipset and bluetooth installed at no charge.

Bit of tweaking from me when I got home and its all fixed with 8.1 the new OS.

Oh ....... one small problem: with EF2000 Reloaded, I can't get the mouse cursor to work in the Main menu. Its just frozen ...... well not quite frozen ....... just jiggers about in the same place.

Mouse pointer stutters or freezes when you play certain games in Windows 8.1 ........ How to extend this update to other games

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

The update also includes an extension mechanism to resolve this issue in additional games. If you encounter this issue in games that are not listed in the "Games that the update applies to" section, follow these steps to extend the update coverage:

1. Click Start, type regedit.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
  2. Click Yes if the User Account Control dialog box is displayed.
  3. Browse to the following folder:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Note If the Layers key does not exist, right-click AppCompatFlags, click New, click Key, and then type Layers to create the key.

4. Create a new registry entry for the game. To do this, right-click Layers, click New, click String Value, type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box, and then press Enter.
  5. Right-click the value, and then click Modify. In the Value data field, type NoDTToDITMouseBatch, and then press Enter.
  6. Click OK to confirm the change. The registry key in Registry Editor should resemble the entry in the following screen shot.

Expand this image
    2908598.png
  7. Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do this, click Start, type cmd.exe in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the search results list, and then click Run as administrator.
  8. Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
    Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache

Important You should apply the registry key mechanism only to games that are known to be affected by this issue. If you set this registry key outside the scope of the games that require this registry key, the performance of the computer battery may be affected. Specifically, do not apply the registry key mechanism to long-running background and notification area processes.

Note If you are a game developer or you provide support for a game, and you experience this issue in your games, apply this solution. If this solution resolves the issue, and the game is not included in the "Games that this update applies to" list, you can provide a registry update for the game.

Thanks Mike, but after my experience with updating to 8.1, for me to attempt the above would have me stuttering ....... :lol:

OK, I understand.

Those instructions are fairly explicit though, and the only thing that you need to consider is that when you get to this line in step 4:
"type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box, and then press Enter."
..the path you need to enter is to the modified DosBox, not the actual EF2000 game.

In my case, this is:
c:\ef_launcher\dosbox-EF2000.exe

OK, I understand.

Those instructions are fairly explicit though, and the only thing that you need to consider is that when you get to this line in step 4:

"type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box, and then press Enter."

..the path you need to enter is to the modified DosBox, not the actual EF2000 game.

In my case, this is:

In my case I can't get passed step 3 as there appears to be no "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags" folder.

Reged_zps3ffef678.jpg

OK, I understand.

In my case, this is:

OK ........ so then referring to below:

regedit2_zpsf26f8dd8.jpg

... my path description should be: C:\DiD\EF2000 Reloaded\dosbox-EF2000 Yes?

Just questions about Step 8. "Run the following command at an elevated command prompt: Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache"

1. I assume you just type this in at the "C:\windows\system32>" prompt and press ENTER ?
2. Is there a "space" between the "Rundll32" and "apphelp" ?

I'll jump in on this:

Wombat, your path (including the EXE file) would be:

C:\DiD\EF2000 Reloaded\dosbox-EF2000.exe

even though you don't see .exe at the end, it is still there. Windows hides file extensions by default (something I disable first chance I get).

Second, there is a space between rundll32 and apphelp.dll.

If you can find me online (remember Raptr?) we can do a remote session if necessary.