COMBATSIM Forum

TAW and Windows 8

mikew

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, sorry. Had to go to the pub in the middle of Wombat's registry edit.

Hope it turned out OK....

Go to the pub? ........ got home at 3.53am your time I think .......bloody good New Year's Eve party ..... :lol: Happy New Year boys!!!! :beer:

I'll jump in on this:

Wombat, your path (including the EXE file) would be:

C:\DiD\EF2000 Reloaded\dosbox-EF2000.exe

even though you don't see .exe at the end, it is still there. Windows hides file extensions by default (something I disable first chance I get).

Second, there is a space between rundll32 and apphelp.dll.

If you can find me online (remember Raptr?) we can do a remote session if necessary.

Thanks HF. And type it here, quote: "I assume you just type this in at the "C:\windows\system32>" prompt and press ENTER ?" :huh:

it should work from anywhere; normally your system folders are part of your PATH, so the commands should work from anywhere.

:thumbsup: Will give it all a go soon. Just getting up some courage ..... :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: Will give it all a go soon. Just getting up some courage ..... :rolleyes:

Bloody Brilliant!!!! :dancinguy: Works just perfectly. Thanks boys, specially to Mikew. :thumbsup:

Just for interest. What does the "Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache" bit do? :huh:

Now got TAW2.0, EF2000 Reloaded and Falcon 4AF running with the Win8.1 OS.

Only thing: "Did the 2D cockpit view in Falcon4AF ever stretch to 16 x 9?" :unsure: My 3D view is 16 x 9 but the 2D is only 4 x 3. Thanks.

Oh ....... and totally off topic ....... couple of my friends in Bali.

PC160283_zps9cf70f91.jpg

"Bloody hell Wombat!!!! It was supposed to be that shot of me with two turtles on my knee not the bloody girls from the sandwich bar ...... :blush::sofa1:

Edited by Wombat1940

1. Great! You got it working....well done.

2. Happy New Year to all

3. I'm off to Asia in a couple of weeks, but since the missus will be with me, there'll be none of that sort of thing. :(

Actually its all very harmless. They are just lovely kids, full of lots of fun and going to Asia you'd understand this. Something I can't do in Oz ......... all too negative for an old man here. So many wonderful friendships in Bali for me. Even my best mate gets involved:

PB300249_zps1818e301.jpg

This is at out favourite breakfast place - Gong Corner, Kuta.

I've checked out SweetFX and Win8.1. In short, it doesn't work. Well .... not for me anyway. The only effect is to get the reduced interface window when exiting a mission. Like HF is getting with Win7 (discussed today on TS3) and I don't get with XP. This was with both "SweetFX demo" and "Default 1.5 settings".

Just another issue. I was able (accidentally) to get time increments to advance by 10min increments while sitting at my holding pen by pressing Left SHIFT + SOMETHING. But I can't do it again! :banghead: I can't find the SOMETHING .......... Any ideas? :huh:

No ........ that's what I normally press and I "leap" from the holding pen .... to the runway ...... into the air. I thought I pressed SHIFT + W, but it didn't work next mission test .... :angry:

I've checked out SweetFX and Win8.1. In short, it doesn't work. Well .... not for me anyway. The only effect is to get the reduced interface window when exiting a mission. Like HF is getting with Win7 (discussed today on TS3) and I don't get with XP. This was with both "SweetFX demo" and "Default 1.5 settings".

What exactly doesn't work? Do you not get any change in graphics while running SweetFX (i.e. "old" graphics), or does it crash TAW?

Also, what are your nGlide settings and what is the version of your video driver?

What exactly doesn't work? Do you not get any change in graphics while running SweetFX (i.e. "old" graphics), or does it crash TAW?

Also, what are your nGlide settings and what is the version of your video driver?

Sorry HF, not well explained by me.

What I meant was that there was no change to the game graphics with SweetFX when compared to running without Sweetfix. The only change is when exiting a mission back to the menus. With SweekFX installed it goes to a quarter screen on the desktop which is perfectly clickable. When returning to another mission the graphics go back to full screen.

Here are the nGlide settings:

nglide_zpsf6d71154.jpg

and here are the video driver details:

driver_zps729bda4e.jpg

This is a shot in the dark, but try updating nGlide. I could swear I included a newer version than 0.99 in the beta.

First, close any TAW sessions and nGlide configurators.

Next, select 3DFX Hardware or no glide wrapper selected, save your settings, then reselect nGlide and save.

Finally, go to the nGlide configurator and see what version comes up. If it's newer than 0.99, try SweetFX again.

This is a shot in the dark, but try updating nGlide. I could swear I included a newer version than 0.99 in the beta.

First, close any TAW sessions and nGlide configurators.

Next, select 3DFX Hardware or no glide wrapper selected, save your settings, then reselect nGlide and save.

Finally, go to the nGlide configurator and see what version comes up. If it's newer than 0.99, try SweetFX again.

Right.

Did it on both my PC with XP and Notebook with 8.1.

Both maintain 0.99 version of nGlide.

I'll try running the dgvoodoo exe and see if SweetFX works.

EDIT: Sorry .....just realised SweetFX is particular to nGlide ............... or I think it is ...... :huh:

EDIT: Sorry .....just realised SweetFX is particular to nGlide ............... or I think it is ...... :huh:

It is, though this is a design decision on my part. While technically SweetFX should work properly with dgVoodoo in D3D9, there are so many customizable factors that could add incompatibility. That, and the fact that nGlide is currently supported and directly supports SweetFX, made this a decision to only directly integrate SweetFX with nGlide.

It is, though this is a design decision on my part. While technically SweetFX should work properly with dgVoodoo in D3D9, there are so many customizable factors that could add incompatibility. That, and the fact that nGlide is currently supported and directly supports SweetFX, made this a decision to only directly integrate SweetFX with nGlide.

Rgr.