COMBATSIM Forum
Krycztij

TFXplorer

9 hours ago, DrKevDog said:

Any additional edits need to be made?

No, this should be enough.

I’ll try to do more Windows 7 testing. I did notice the memory managers being slightly different (so that some errors only surface on Windows 10) and that’s my best guess for your crashes right now.

I tested on Windows 7 32-bit with all heap checks enabled, stack randomization, all available debug runtimes.

I did find a small error with my Intel integrated driver failing to render a specific contrail, but it’s non-critical. Everything else worked with EF2000 and TAW.

The one thing I didn’t test is joysticks. Going to try this later (need to check out how to connect my periphery to the machine in the first place).

I.e. sorry, no progress …

I no longer have Windows 7 but I have been running it on Linux with Wine. It mostly starts up OK.

Not sure how welcome a feature request will be, but here goes: :)

I'd like to be able to specify the map and palette combination manually, or maybe a map then a series of palettes that can be cycled by SHIFT+S with the current palette name at the bottom of the screen.

It would be fine to specify the maps and palettes via a text file, but that kind of negates the reason to have a GUI...

13 hours ago, mikew said:

Not sure how welcome a feature request will be, but here goes: :)

I'd like to be able to specify the map and palette combination manually, or maybe a map then a series of palettes that can be cycled by SHIFT+S with the current palette name at the bottom of the screen.

It would be fine to specify the maps and palettes via a text file, but that kind of negates the reason to have a GUI...

I absolutely want that as well. The palettes being hard-coded is totally wrong.

But I want to solve this via loading the EF2000/TAW mission files. This should give us the ability to specify our own palettes, while also having access to actual EF2000/TAW missions, and being able to back-port the palette mods to the original EF2000/TAW.

But I’m on code freeze for new TFX code right now. I will only add another parser after the current mess has been cleaned up and TFXplorer is in a releasable state.

(The goals I’m currently pursuing are

1. make the lost worlds of TAW/EF2000 accessible without having to edit game.cfg and reading the long manual on my website – I don’t think a single person besides us here has ever done that
  2. this requires adding a GUI, which is overdue anyway (and it gets harder with every line of code we add to the simulation core accessing the message loop directly)
  3. establish a proper API for extensions

… new TFX modding facilities will come after that.)

Mike, regarding your Joystick problems:

On 1/24/2019 at 9:32 PM, mikew said:

It's a while since I wrote that, but yes, things have changed....and generally for the better.

The x64 version seems to work OK now, and the joystick is indeed recognised:

found HID "SDL Madcatz Mad Catz V.1 Stick"
  axis 0130 (0007): -32768-32767
  axis 0131 (0008): -32768-32767
  axis 0132 (0009): -32768-32767
  axis 0135 (000A): -32768-32767
  axis 0139 (000B): 0-8
  button 0901 (0000)
  button 0902 (0001)
  button 0903 (0002)
  button 0904 (0003)
  button 0905 (0004)
  button 0906 (0005)
  button 0907 (0006)

did1st.dat not opened; no patches will be considered

trying to load .dat file ...
identified an F-22 Total Air War .dat file
loading .dat directory
loading 19 directory names
loading 19 file extensions
extracting 10438 files
.dat loaded successfully

Direct3D 9 (SDK version 32)
trying to create GPU context (8x AA, windowed, pure hardware T&L)
16x anisotropic filtering selected
missing 3\BALL_3.3

but for some reason it still doesn't work, although if the joystick is plugged in the arrow keys don't work either for control.

At least I can I can start the engines now as long as I have a US keyboard selected.

The game.cfg was missing, so I created one with a single entry 'CONTROL=1' but that has no effect.

Maybe it needs some other parameter?

On 1/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, mikew said:

I've had another look and while the joystick is found, it doesn't do anything in TFXplorer except disabling the arrow keys.

The joystick works fine with TAW which also uses Wine.

Running TFXplorer after TAW just highlights how wonderful the TFXplorer rendering is. If only the two could be combined...

The only problem left with running TAW in Wine without changing the default settings is how the 2D windows are handled.

Once flying around in dgVoodoo, I haven't run into any stability problems, but pressing the 'Del' key to see the map usually results in a crash.

One new experience with TFXplorer is having the plane spontaneously explode. I don't recall seeing that before.

All I can do afterwards is F12 Smartview to toggle between the bits of debris.

Someone landed this an hour ago: https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/commit/3a9edf9aad43c3e8ba724571da5381f821f1dc56

“user32: Implement GetRawInputBuffer. CoD: WWII uses it to read mouse motion instead of listening to WM_INPUT messages.”

This is a function TFXplorer uses for joystick input; it being unimplemented would explain the dead joystick. I’ve gotten a lot of feedback for a tutorial I once wrote on the RawInput API; maybe someone from the Call of Duty team has read it, implemented it, and this finally caused Wine to emulate TFXplorer properly :D