COMBATSIM Forum

23 minutes ago, mikew said:

It'll be a while until I get that far.

Going from startup to cockpit is like 5 minutes, so I don't think I'll be playing this much.

Also, it doesn't recognise my joystick.

I got it from Steam, and it downloads a 500MB installer first, When this is run, the play time clock starts ticking, so the download of the next 95GB is counted as playing.

This means that if the download takes over 2 hours then you go over the time that you can get your money back.

Plus, you need to sign in to the microsoft empire. I did it via Github, but it managed to connect it an xbox live account I have no recollection of ever creating.

Not that impressed to tell the truth...

I heard one must be thoroughly frustrated to create something really useful. Reading your comment, I guess I should start playing FS2020 as well, just to see what should be done better :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Just a funny thing I wanted to share:

My wife asked me to find an old game she used to play 20 years ago. She wanted to show it to our son. I found it: 

(It’s silly but fun, and the hype here was *huge* back then.)

So my son asked me why it is not possible to walk further into the scenery. I wanted to explain to him the difference between 2D sprite games and 3D games (he is only used to 3D games), and needed to extract the game files in order to do so.

I searched for an unpacker on the internet archive. I found one. And the readme says …

Mudge Archiver is (c) 2000 by Benjamin Haisch.

This program is FREEWARE, but it must only be distributed free of charge […]

Donations are welcome (I’m just a poor pupil …) write a mail if you want to donate.

WAIT I KNOW THAT NAME

image.png.73e5bb625b3051c469f672954d0261f5.png

————

Apart from that, I’m adding ways to customize keyboard/joystick controls (a major roadblock towards a public release) and it’s coming forward slowly but nice.

Cool! So, he did that game's archiver in 2000, then TFX's RA decompresser in 2006. What next? I think we've found Satoshi Nakamoto. :)

That game looks typical of a bunch of Java games from that time that used the exact same game mechanic, but just varied the background and the things to shoot. That one looks like it is slightly more complex with multiple 2D layers giving some perspective.

Interesting to see what 'kids these days' make of old games. From what I've seen , they're (ages 8-10) not interested unless it's an 'action' game for phone or Nintendo Switch. Maybe it was always thus...

2 hours ago, mikew said:

Cool! So, he did that game's archiver in 2000, then TFX's RA decompresser in 2006. What next? I think we've found Satoshi Nakamoto. :)

His website is deleted, and so are his accounts on xentax & Co. I think you have a point there! :D

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 1:04 AM, Krycztij said:

FS2020, very cool. Let me know if the real-time weather works. I suspect it’s not a feature but pure laziness: adjusting the atmosphere parameters by hand is annoying work and too scientific to be outsourced to the player, so just download datasets from the internet and call it a feature!

I’m impressed – FS2020 replaced their table-driven aerodynamics with an actual simulation:

I tried this with TFXplorer in 2014 and it was a nightmare. Might be easy (“easy”) with a Cessna, but for a fighter jet with its instability-by-design you better have a proper surface model *and* a working fly-by-wire system at the same time, or things go bad fast.

Of course MS will make it work with fighters and supersonic flight, and no doubt it will be awesome. Looking forward to it.

1778148505_2014-12-06aerodynamicsurfaces.png.7d4022697d2115382924693521bcc1bb.png

Technically impressive and the 'correct' way to do it, no doubt.

I certainly wouldn't notice the difference.

I haven't started up FS2020 since August, even to try out VR which I believe is implemented now.

• 5 weeks later...

A general question about how computers work. This is related to the problem I get when I lose the last file when running my Python .dat extraction script which calls a dll containing the decompressor code for each file.

Earlier in thread I wrote this:

On 5/5/2020 at 2:15 PM, mikew said:

The reason I had trouble with that file is that it's the last to be decompressed. From my Python script, I call a DLL to decompress each file and return a result.

The DLL handles the file reading and writing, so once the last file is decompressed, the DLL returns OK and my script exits. Could it be that any ongoing file process is killed by Windows if the process ordering it isn't running anymore and I end up with a corrupt file?

To which I got this reply:

On 5/5/2020 at 2:40 PM, Krycztij said:

Depends on how it’s implemented and how the script exits. Windows’ file buffers are flushed in any case. User-mode file buffers (like buffered stdio in C/C++ programs) are flushed when the DLL is unloaded, due to it receiving a notification.

It would only be an explanation if the file handling used hand-written file buffering or if the process got terminated the hard way (i.e. via TerminateProcess()). Can’t tell given the information I have.

Now I'm running into a similar situation if I run this Python script:

import random
from datetime import datetime

time_start = datetime.now()

l = [random.randrange(100, 999) for i in range(100000000)]

squared = [x**2 for x in l]
sqrt = [x**0.5 for x in l]
mul = [x * y for x, y in zip(squared, sqrt)]
div = [x / y for x, y in zip(squared, sqrt)]
int_div = [x // y for x, y in zip(squared, sqrt)]

time_end = datetime.now()
print(f'TOTAL TIME = {(time_end - time_start).seconds} seconds')

..which just does a lot of calculations for benchmarking purposes, I would have thought that the last thing to happen would be the 'print' command, but 'something' continues running for some time afterwards and I finally get the command prompt back. I have no idea what though, and it's annoying me.

Hmmn, looked at this in more detail and that isn't a particularly realistic test. The time between when the print line appears and when Python exits (according to 'top') seems to be taken up with giving back the vast amounts of memory/disk cache that script uses. So that doesn't explain my earlier problem with the last file in the decompression list.

The reason I did this was that Python was running the same scripts noticeably faster on the weakest Apple M1 machine than any of my normal PCs, so wanted to do a more substantial test but that one was a bit extreme.

9 hours ago, mikew said:

The time between when the print line appears and when Python exits (according to 'top') seems to be taken up with giving back the vast amounts of memory/disk cache that script uses.

I hesitated to anwer because I could not see an issue with your code. The memory cleanup explains it pretty well.