COMBATSIM Forum

TFXplorer

Krycztij

I'll try it out when VS finishes updating itself. It's been at 99% 'Finishing up' for half an hour now, so the dilemma is to wait longer or kill the process and risk an undefined state.

It was 2Gbyte download, so I'm looking forward to the multitude of exciting new features it must contain. :)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, 10% of that should be a new git version, because git for Windows comes with an entire Linux toolchain (vi and so on, and probably MinGW). So it’s not all overhead :D

I was thinking about adding the compiler to the repo; it’s just 20 MiB for x86 and x64, respectively. But MSBuild (the toolchain for processing VS project files, similar to Linux’ make or CMake) is .NET-based and an entirely different beast.

Well, I terminated it and then noticed Windows also wanted to update itself, so I let it do that and restart.
Then started VS again and it's back to 99% 'Finishing up'. Task manager shows it still doing stuff at about 90% CPU...probably to punish me for being so impatient earlier.

If this was my job, it would be great as it's a good excuse to goof off for a few hours. As I'm just doing hobbyist stuff 'for fun' it's immensely frustrating. :(

It would be good not to have to open VS at all from my point of view as I'll never use most of its features.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

It would be good not to have to open VS at all from my point of view as I'll never use most of its features.

1. Start > Developer Command Prompt for Visual Studio 2019
  2. cd path of the TFXplorer repository on your drive
  3. git pull
  4. TFX/_auto_build_current_version.bat

That's what I'll do next time. :thumbsup:

The update finished after about 4 hours so I could do 'git pull' with a single mouse click saving a couple of seconds. :)

Builds and runs OK, and some interesting menus now appearing...

43 minutes ago, mikew said:

Builds and runs OK, and some interesting menus now appearing...

When in the repository with Developer command prompt, run git log to display the last commits. But I gotta say that the branch details in the bottom right of VS are a lot better.

10 hours ago, mikew said:

Yes, there's a USB keyboard connected (which I'm typing on right now, so the driver seems OK) but just the one.

Some USB keyboards create virtual devices for extended functionality, e. g. providing buttons and sliders for sound volume control. This is not part of the ordinary keyboard protocol, so they create a virtual dummy device related to SFX. (Observe that one of them has axes, and the other two have buttons – could be a slider vs. +-buttons if related to SFX.)

Windows does not seem to allow me reading input from those devices, but nonetheless enumerates them for me. This makes TFXplorer behave strangely around them. I will have to conduct further research on this later, so don’t throw away that keyboard :D

It's an "Arrogant Bastard" mechanical gaming keyboard. There's no sliders but has adjustable backlighting controlled by some keys which may present itself to Windows as a slider.

By the way, when I run with Windows as a VM, there is no hardware at all detected by that hardware tab. I'm using the same wired keyboard and mouse.

22 minutes ago, mikew said:

By the way, when I run with Windows as a VM, there is no hardware at all detected by that hardware tab. I'm using the same wired keyboard and mouse.

This makes sense. You wouldn’t want to grant a VM direct access to your keyboard drivers, as this would mean the VM could listen to every keystroke on your physical system (not just while you’re typing in the VM). So your virtual machine software usually presents a virtualized keyboard which is fed with the keystrokes that go to the VM window, and nothing else.