COMBATSIM Forum
Krycztij

TFXplorer

That works. Thank you!

Don't worry about the stars problem. Running the TFX1 data in TFX3 mode is fun in that I can fly around in the F22, but there are multiple other issues.

I'll look at it again when we have an API.

I have been following these threads and, as always, they prompt my curiosity about a number of things. First let me say thanks to Krycztij for the updates. I have been doing some work on the terrain recently and was curious about Mikes statement regarding GAMESPR, I would assume that to be a sprite, does the tfx1contain .tm textures in the spr directory?

gamespr is the first .tm that I could identify, but there are 10 others of exactly the normal tm size. Some of them are obvious textures, and I've combined these with the TAW 10am palette to produce bmp files.

tfx_tm.png.27403f8022038436f1c21e836ebfb3b7.png

Since gamespr is in the spr directory, I assume any others would be as well.

Minor update: Last week, I finally isolated the code for tile sidelength. This was a major problem in the way of new terrain, because TFX’s tile sidelength (16384 ft) was hard-coded everywhere. I can now use arbitrary sidelength with arbitrary geometry:

5aafc678b46dd_2018-03-05variabletilesidelength.png.2ec55b7817822858615ff89a132222b7.png

Forward, step by step :)

Well done! Is the tile still 2048 units wide with arbitrary unit size? or can the tile now be an arbitrary number of 8' units?....or both?

The unit is always meters. (TFXplorer is SI-based since ~2015; TFX’s units have since been converted with a tiny rounding error.)

Tiles can have an arbitrary size in meters, not necessarily integer :)

Impressive work Krycztij! Downloaded the latest version above and used it with TAW files on Windows 10, worked well, just had to get the Direct X redistributable from June 2010 to get XAudio working.

What is most worked on currently? Guess some big areas besides the visual improvements would be e.g.

- Waypoints, navigation

- AI

- (More) weapons, radar system, HUD modes etc

- Mission/campaign structure

Hi tvivelfront!

I’m glad to hear it works well :) I’m still working on a terrain overhaul. Regarding the other areas:

• AI had some groundwork done – the F-22 got a very primitive autopilot that can level out the plane after a spin. AI will be built on it.
  • Weapons are one of the top priorities, but they require more physics work (proper collision detection and object interactions).
  • HUD modes: Bottlenecked by information. I can find descriptions of the Super Hornet’s and Lighting II’s HUD, but not of the F-22’s.
  • Mission/campaign will come later. I’d rather prefer multiplayer for a start (for technical reasons).
  • I’m preparing for other vehicles besides the F-22. E.g. an internal build allows to drive a ZSU-23, and this video shows me flying a KC-135.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:10 PM, mikew said:

I managed to produce an x86 build on one machine at least. It turns out that the user32 call GetRawInputDeviceList only returns two items, the mouse and keyboard.
So, we end up with the 'No suitable HIDs found' message. So, the problem could be anywhere...except TFXplorer.

EDIT: I've brought up this issue on the Wine forum:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29672

This maybe fixed now – Wine 4.0 release notes (https://www.winehq.org/announce/4.0) say

*** Input devices

- HID game controllers are supported in the XInput and Raw Input APIs.

It's a while since I wrote that, but yes, things have changed....and generally for the better.

The x64 version seems to work OK now, and the joystick is indeed recognised:

found HID "SDL Madcatz Mad Catz V.1 Stick"
  axis 0130 (0007): -32768-32767
  axis 0131 (0008): -32768-32767
  axis 0132 (0009): -32768-32767
  axis 0135 (000A): -32768-32767
  axis 0139 (000B): 0-8
  button 0901 (0000)
  button 0902 (0001)
  button 0903 (0002)
  button 0904 (0003)
  button 0905 (0004)
  button 0906 (0005)
  button 0907 (0006)

did1st.dat not opened; no patches will be considered

trying to load .dat file ...
identified an F-22 Total Air War .dat file
loading .dat directory
loading 19 directory names
loading 19 file extensions
extracting 10438 files
.dat loaded successfully

Direct3D 9 (SDK version 32)
trying to create GPU context (8x AA, windowed, pure hardware T&L)
16x anisotropic filtering selected
missing 3\BALL_3.3

but for some reason it still doesn't work, although if the joystick is plugged in the arrow keys don't work either for control.

At least I can I can start the engines now as long as I have a US keyboard selected.

The game.cfg was missing, so I created one with a single entry 'CONTROL=1' but that has no effect.

Maybe it needs some other parameter?

I've had another look and while the joystick is found, it doesn't do anything in TFXplorer except disabling the arrow keys.

The joystick works fine with TAW which also uses Wine.

Running TFXplorer after TAW just highlights how wonderful the TFXplorer rendering is. If only the two could be combined...

The only problem left with running TAW in Wine without changing the default settings is how the 2D windows are handled.

Once flying around in dgVoodoo, I haven't run into any stability problems, but pressing the 'Del' key to see the map usually results in a crash.

One new experience with TFXplorer is having the plane spontaneously explode. I don't recall seeing that before.

All I can do afterwards is F12 Smartview to toggle between the bits of debris.

No, nothing besides CONTROL=1 should be required. There could be many causes, so I’ll have to repeat the Wine tests myself. TAW uses Wine’s DirectPlay emulation while TFXplorer uses its RawInput emulation, so there’s no connection. Oh and we need a dialog for calibration and control binding, I guess.

One new experience with TFXplorer is having the plane spontaneously explode. I don't recall seeing that before.

Don’t get me started. Short version: TAW computes physics in 40 Hz steps. TFXplorer goes up to 240 Hz. The formulas in the F-22 flight physics have some weird force peaks when you fly tight curves at high speed and release the stick immediately (happens often with keyboard controls) and these only surface at high physics computing rates like TFXplorer’s. Then for a very short time, acceleration climbs to 20–200 g and the plane decides it’s too much and explodes. Fixing the F-22 physics is PITA, so I guess I’ll just smooth out the keyboard controls.

OK, thanks. If I enable the same debugging as last time (see the link to the winehq ticket above), I just get the following type of output if I move the joystick:

0025:trace:hid_report:process_device_event Received action 600
0025:trace:hid_report:process_hid_report Processing Request
002b:trace:hid_report:hid_internal_dispatch IOCTL_HID_READ_REPORT

Since I pretty much always use a joystick with Windows, it probably explains why I haven't seen the exploding plane phenomena before.

Happy, that I am. It's a very nice collection and I will take my time and study them to see what I can learn additionally. Thank you.  😀

Great stuff! There's pictures there that I have no recollection of seeing before. :thumbsup:

What are using for the Videos? On Win10/Edge, I just see the video control bar with just a white area above it and on Linux/Firefox, an error message saying "No video with supported format and MIME type found".

The videos are MP4+H.264, which should normally be covered by all HTML5-compliant browsers. I don’t have time to check it now, so I recommend downloading them via right-click -> save video as ... and watching them with VLC or MPC.

Yes, that works but I thought I'd got the Linux/Firefox system working with every possible codec in order to get Netflix etc visible.

It works fine with Linux/Chrome, but opening it has probably allowed Google to upload everything on my hard drive. :(