COMBATSIM Forum

Shelby announces a 1,200 horsepower Ford Mustang

Nice, but that much power is superfluous on ordinary roads as the traction control will kick in, thus limiting the effective power. At least that happens with my car, and I have less than half the power of that beast.

Exactly. The engine I built for my Torino produced just a bit under 400 hp and I had a heck of a time keeping traction under hard acceleration. Granted, today's cars are much better at traction control, but still... My Torino weighed 4000 pounds and could go from 0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and did not need 1200 hp.

Mine was a 1972, same frame, just different front and rear body panels. If you've ever seen the Clint Eastwood move "Gran Torino", then you've seen exactly what my car looked like when left the factory. I bought the car from the original owner who put aluminum wheels and custom paint on the car. It was a bit of a handful, not bad in a straight line, but turns required a lot of attention. I had gas shocks installed, then I put inflatable bags inside the rear coils to adjust the loading on the rear suspension. That, combined with some wider tires, actually made handling a lot better.

A mean looking machine!

Uprating the suspension will certainly improve the handling, although at the expense of passenger comfort.....but who cares about that.

There's only so much you can do though, to get 4000+ lbs of car (plus humans and shopping) to change direction quickly while staying on the road.

I had a 72' Stans.. buit up motor I think I was rocking about 343hp plenty for a foollsh kid like me! If I can figure out the photo thingmie I post a pic. mine was gold, brown interior. Real head turner though and fun! more than once have a girl at a stop light just jump in! And i'd be woah..how old are you.. !8? Let's Rock..where's my 8 track player!

1982 Mustang GT.

It's currently undergoing it's second major rebuild in 10 years. They are never quick or fast enough.

True, and I spent many weekends tuning the engine in my Torino, trying to squeeze out every last bit of power.

Soon you all will be walking. No gasoline for you. Only the leaders and devout followers of The Emperor and King Obama of the powerful New and Improved New World Order® will be allowed gasoline and oil.

Hail Emperor! Hail to the New and Improved New World Order®! Hail King Obama!