COMBATSIM Forum

The prodigal son returns

MGonzales

My login still works, that's a good sign. :) Not sure how to skip to the next line with this editor, it's a little different from the last time I was here. Anyway, I need to understand the mechanics of a full-blown large-scale turn-based FLOT-moving fjord-flying Russian-fighting dynamic campaign and I can't think of a better way than to play and study EF2000's WarGen and then attempt to duplicate the add-ons: Strategic Command, ReViVe, EFUTIL, TAW Battle Commander and TAW's AWACS all rolled up into one big honking VB6 program. Possible? Who knows, but I aim to find out over the next several months or years. Other than a little higher resolution (which you guys are working on, nice job) I'm pretty happy with EF2000 and have been for ~15 years, I just want a giant campaign sandbox to play in and to understand how it all works. I've started the program tonight and I'll post progress pics here when I have some. Cheers.

Ah, much better, thanks.

And a very sincere thanks for welcoming me back.

I have big plans and even bigger dreams but one thing is for certain in my possibly delusional flight sim universe, I have EF2000 to play today. Maybe a little dramatic but I know there's a lot of people besides this group that feel this game is special. Tornado is another that comes to mind, but I think EF2000 has them all beat for being the ultimate flight sim classic.

I remember clearly my first post on the SimHQ F-22 TAW board, in a thread started by moms_killer about obtaining a license from Atari and getting the TAW source code. My question was if this would also apply to EF2000. Someone responded that it would be great if it did, but the focus should remain on TAW. Ok then, so I went with the flow. Besides, TAW has the stealth gameplay which was important to me.

Bill Hewett is someone I've always respected (included in the PSF [Hornet Korea] credits, another favorite of mine) and someone here once asked...

Topic: Anything Similar to F-19/F-117?

http://www.combatsim.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001157

His response in that thread was...

==========

"The sim that will be the most logical follow on to your F-19 Stealth experience is DID's F-22 Total Air War (TAW). Easy to learn and operate, great graphics, good comm's, and overall excellent immersion. I really think you'll enjoy it.

btw: I have a friend who also made a similar recent 'transition' and he very much appreciates F-22 TAW."

==========

And that always stuck with me, but in the end I didn't see it this way.

But EF2000 is a different type of gameplay and that's a good thing, I don't want to play the same flight sim ALL the time. So if I'm lucky I'll end up with two sims, closely related in graphics and theater but two different types of gameplay.

So I really want to learn everything I can about EF2000 and help to improve it in any way I can. I'd go so far as to developing in C/C++ with the 3Dfx API if I had to (assuming you can develop using a Glide Wrapper). I have the 3Dfx API and a TON of information, as well as early OpenGL Programmer and Reference books. The only thing I wouldn't do EVER is start using a MS proprietary language like C#, nor would I want to touch VS past 6. I'd rather suffer through C++ and an obscure command-line compiler.

I'm just throwing some thoughts out there, I still want to work on F-19 but I want it to match EF2000 in every conceivable way except for the much simpler '80s Microprose stealth gameplay. And since all of this is fan freeware I don't believe there'd be any problems.

The starting point for me will be the campaign.

Ah, much better, thanks.

And a very sincere thanks for welcoming me back.

I have big plans and even bigger dreams but one thing is for certain in my possibly delusional flight sim universe, I have EF2000 to play today. Maybe a little dramatic but I know there's a lot of people besides this group that feel this game is special. Tornado is another that comes to mind, but I think EF2000 has them all beat for being the ultimate flight sim classic.

I remember clearly my first post on the SimHQ F-22 TAW board, in a thread started by moms_killer about obtaining a license from Atari and getting the TAW source code. My question was if this would also apply to EF2000. Someone responded that it would be great if it did, but the focus should remain on TAW. Ok then, so I went with the flow. Besides, TAW has the stealth gameplay which was important to me.

Bill Hewett is someone I've always respected (included in the PSF [Hornet Korea] credits, another favorite of mine) and someone here once asked...

Topic: Anything Similar to F-19/F-117?

http://www.combatsim...ic&f=4&t=001157

His response in that thread was...

==========

"The sim that will be the most logical follow on to your F-19 Stealth experience is DID's F-22 Total Air War (TAW). Easy to learn and operate, great graphics, good comm's, and overall excellent immersion. I really think you'll enjoy it.

btw: I have a friend who also made a similar recent 'transition' and he very much appreciates F-22 TAW."

==========

And that always stuck with me, but in the end I didn't see it this way.

But EF2000 is a different type of gameplay and that's a good thing, I don't want to play the same flight sim ALL the time. So if I'm lucky I'll end up with two sims, closely related in graphics and theater but two different types of gameplay.

So I really want to learn everything I can about EF2000 and help to improve it in any way I can. I'd go so far as to developing in C/C++ with the 3Dfx API if I had to (assuming you can develop using a Glide Wrapper). I have the 3Dfx API and a TON of information, as well as early OpenGL Programmer and Reference books. The only thing I wouldn't do EVER is start using a MS proprietary language like C#, nor would I want to touch VS past 6. I'd rather suffer through C++ and an obscure command-line compiler.

I'm just throwing some thoughts out there, I still want to work on F-19 but I want it to match EF2000 in every conceivable way except for the much simpler '80s Microprose stealth gameplay. And since all of this is fan freeware I don't believe there'd be any problems.

The starting point for me will be the campaign.

Welcome back Mark. You're know to me as one of the real heroes around here. I'm just the Aussie nuisance: well meaning but full of talk. :thumbsup: I, like you, have a basic love of EF2000, being my first real FSim after "Lightning II" I think they called it. I'm hoping I can help here as an end user tester. Can't handle the programming bits but with my abysmal installing and gaming skills its good to test anything (and everybody). :rofl:

I appreciate that Wombat, but actually I have some making up to do (never delivered on some things).

I tried to avoid it (keeping focus) but I knew I would eventually get sucked back into the DID vortex! :) I'm just glad to see this sim getting some recognition, if just to remind flight simmers that it doesn't have to be DCS or Hawkx, there's a lot of middle ground.