COMBATSIM Forum

Announcement regarding TAW 2.0 next release

I started this journey in late 2008, taking the creative reins from Jolly07, and with a lot of help from friends and contributors Total Air War 2.0 was born. Back then, I was learning Visual Basic 6 on the fly while coding a simple front end for Windows XP so that manual tweaking of TAW would not be necessary. My programming skills evolved, and so did the front end, and now the TAW 2.0 Launcher does as much to enhance the TAW experience as it does to configure it.

The TAW 2.0 project achieved a stable state in May of 2012 with 2.22a, with the launcher doing what it was supposed to do and the in-game features polished to a fairly high level. The unpolished features and works in progress were low priority, and nobody seemed bothered about them. However, with all of this, there was one thing that consistently bugged me.

As I mentioned previously, I initially wrote this for Windows 98 and XP. Vista was still in its early stages. Since then, Microsoft has released two additional operating systems, and the old routines I used in the Launcher when I was just getting started were obsolete in later operating systems. Windows Vista/7/8 required the Launcher to be run in Windows XP compatibility mode, and this actually caused some serious issues in Windows 8.

I am pleased to announce that I am correcting this issue! This was difficult to do before, as my code was old and clunky, and I would've had trouble trying to find out where the issues were. However, with my recent coding of the EF2000 Reloaded Launcher (designed from the ground up for Windows Vista/7/8) I could more easily go through my old code and recognize what needed to be fixed. Therefore, I have re-coded all of my Visual Basic 6 executables to be natively compatible with Windows Vista/7/8!

With the pending release of Total Air War 2.30, we will be adding a more compatible launcher to an already stable game environment. At this point, unless we have a major breakthrough, I intend to retire from modding Total Air War. I may still do the occasional checklist, graphic, etc., but I have no plans to make further changes to the game or the Launcher itself. My intention is to leave TAW 2.0 in a polished state that can still be enjoyed from the user on the Pentium II-300 running Windows 98 to the i7 user running Windows 8 x64.

My plan is to have TAW 2.30 be a full download and not a patch. If this is to be the final version for the foreseeable future, it should be self-contained. However, the changes in the routines to make the Launcher and other EXEs Vista/7/8 compatible add risks of bugs. Therefore, after a short period of closed beta testing, I will be releasing a public beta of 2.30 (this will be a patch that requires TAW 2.22a). I encourage everybody (especially those who have moved on from Windows XP) to test out the upcoming release and report your findings (good or bad; a report that no bugs were found is as valuable as one that identifies bugs). Likewise, if anybody has any nagging minor issues with the game (e.g. typos or errors in mission briefings), now is the time to bring them up. I know that there are issues like this, but I cannot find them all, and once I'm done then That's All, Folks! Feel free to use this thread as your data dump.

Finally, if anybody has ambitions to carry the TAW torch, please let me know.

It's been a great ride!

Likewise, if anybody has any nagging minor issues with the game (e.g. typos or errors in mission briefings), now is the time to bring them up.

ACMI seems not to work correctly, my best educated guess is because of newer CPU speed is too fast. Likewise, the aircraft selection screen when one is making a dogfight mission, the aircraft is spinning too fast. Probably the CPU speed as well.

Likewise, the aircraft selection screen when one is making a dogfight mission, the aircraft is spinning too fast. Probably the CPU speed as well.

There is a simple (must stop using this and similar words ...... Its irrelavent and 'begs the question') way to stop it spinning. Just click on the image with the LH mouse button and it stops spinning. If you hold the same button down over the image you can rotate it.

There is a simple (must stop using this and similar words ...... Its irrelavent and 'begs the question') way to stop it spinning. Just click on the image with the LH mouse button and it stops spinning. If you hold the same button down over the image you can rotate it.

Yup, I know. But if we can fix CPU speed problem, we fix both issue.

Sorry, guys, but that one won't be on the fix list. Both ACMI and the spinning plane are hard-coded. If it can't be done by editing datafiles, then I won't be touching it anymore.

Please keep the suggestions coming, though.

What a sad announcement. :( But I understand. And as for, quote: " ..... if anybody has ambitions to carry the TAW torch ...... "; you are irreplaceable HF.

Yes .... we've all done our bit, some more than others, but without your huge contribution there wouldn't be any TAW2.0 and how lucky are we all for that. All I ask? Please stick around to answer the curly ones. No need for anymore betas, patches, etc. Just keep in touch. Most of your predecessors (Jolly07, etc) have been lost and that is sad.

In conclusion may I thank you for what you have done. It'll never be forgotten and TAW2.0 will be piloted somewhere by someone for ever. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wombat1940

Right ........ as for 2.30 ........ The size of the Sun at dawn ....... it needs to bigger ....... joking, joking, :rofl: For those who don't remember, I've my own personal sunrise/sunsize all thanks to HF:

Sun_zpsbbbd074a.jpg

Don't get too sentimental, Wombat. I'm not going anywhere. I'm merely ending the development lifecycle on a high note.

No ..... I understand that. But there is a message of development finality in your post and understand that as well. ;)

BTW, the sun editor should work in Windows 8 with the new beta.

It does. :thumbsup: Although I must admit I normally edit the lev folder files myself just to keep my hand in. :icon_rock:

If it weren't for discovering Total Air War 2.0, I doubt I would gotten back into flight sims. Now I'm hooked more than I had ever been, and am discovering new sims along the way. Thanks Home Fries. You did a great job with TAW! :thumbsup:

Skeeter

Sorry, guys, but that one won't be on the fix list. Both ACMI and the spinning plane are hard-coded. If it can't be done by editing datafiles, then I won't be touching it anymore.

Please keep the suggestions coming, though.

I found a workaroud. I use Advanced Game Loader 2 to slow TAW down, and ACMI work perfectly.