COMBATSIM Forum

Flight stick opinions

I want to pick up a flight stick for my laptop for flying retro flight sims in DosBox. I have an X-52, but want to leave that with my desktop. Programability on the stick really isn't that important to me. I'd like to stay in the medium price range and current availabilty is important too.

I'd appreciate any opinions.

If programmability isn't a concern, you should find a Microsoft SW FFB2 stick on eBay (they go for $40-50 normally). There's no programming ability for XP and above, but it's still one of the best FFB sticks out there and will auto-center with DOSBox. For bonus, you can attach it to your desktop and use it for the UH-1 in DCS (the force trim in the DCS helos is pretty nice with FFB).

The downside is that you need external power to run the SWFFB2, which means another outlet if you're traveling. However, it uses a standard, non-polarized AC plug like you can find on many pieces of electronics like DVD players, so it has no transformer on the plug (easier for packing) and the cable is easily replaceable if you do lose it on travel.

Personally, I would consider a programming option, especially for DOSBox. Otherwise, even with the buttonwrap function turned off, you will still wrap buttons 1-4 on any stick with more than 4 buttons. Assigning key macros is a great way to work around this, not to mention just being that much more functional on a sim that pre-dates the clickable cockpit.

If programmability isn't a concern, you should find a Microsoft SW FFB2 stick on eBay (they go for $40-50 normally). There's no programming ability for XP and above, but it's still one of the best FFB sticks out there and will auto-center with DOSBox. For bonus, you can attach it to your desktop and use it for the UH-1 in DCS (the force trim in the DCS helos is pretty nice with FFB).

The downside is that you need external power to run the SWFFB2, which means another outlet if you're traveling. However, it uses a standard, non-polarized AC plug like you can find on many pieces of electronics like DVD players, so it has no transformer on the plug (easier for packing) and the cable is easily replaceable if you do lose it on travel.

Personally, I would consider a programming option, especially for DOSBox. Otherwise, even with the buttonwrap function turned off, you will still wrap buttons 1-4 on any stick with more than 4 buttons. Assigning key macros is a great way to work around this, not to mention just being that much more functional on a sim that pre-dates the clickable cockpit.

Nice one HF, although I had to work out what SW FFB ......... Sidewinder Force Feed Back ....... was. ;)

Hello Iceman.

I had a similar problem: I have a Cougar with my Desktop PC and for my Notebook (i) an X52 when based an alternative fixed location (beach home) and (ii) Sidewinder Precision 2 when holidaying in Bali. I think you're looking for something to tour with, like my (ii) option. My favourite sim. is TAW2.0 which works fine on the Notebook with Win8, as does the Sidewinder. Only the trigger, 'stick. HAT and throttle work (non of the 8 buttons) but I just use the keyboard for everything else. The Sidewinder travels well in my luggage, something I can't do with the Cougar or X52. The Sidewinder is not ideal, but its "horses for courses" with my preferred playing option being the PC with the Cougar and TrackIR ........ however ....... ;)

Good luck with your choice. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sorry .......... my Sidewinder Precision 2 just uses a USB connection.

Wombat brings up a good point that's another plus for the FFB stick. Since the stick uses motors and not springs for its centering force, I find it much easier to pack in a suitcase because you can set the stick off-center without placing undue stress on it. I still pack it in my main suitcase surrounded by clothes (putting it in my laptop bag is asking too much), but it works well in that capacity.

Wombat brings up a good point that's another plus for the FFB stick. Since the stick uses motors and not springs for its centering force, I find it much easier to pack in a suitcase because you can set the stick off-center without placing undue stress on it. I still pack it in my main suitcase surrounded by clothes (putting it in my laptop bag is asking too much), but it works well in that capacity.

Exactly what I do! :thumbsup: Reminds me ..... leave for Bali on the 28th (Nov) ....... must remember to pack it ....... :P

So does anybody still do the Wed night fly-ins? I miss Wombat doing his summaries. His poetic verse could make even a slug like me look good...

I'm actually looking at this stick for my not-so-serious DOSBox sims... Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I know it's on the low end and has no FFB, but it's cheap enough that I don't have to treat it with kid gloves.

So does anybody still do the Wed night fly-ins? I miss Wombat doing his summaries. His poetic verse could make even a slug like me look good...

Yes they do. I haven't been around for a while and I missed the last session because I had to help out with my grandchildren. I understand they're flying a bit of EF2000 and maybe even DCS, but if they're not any one persons party on that night, it straight into TAW2.0, as it should be ...... ;) . Unfortunately I'm not up to briefings, summaries, mission building at the moment so it would be flying and re-fly the regular MP missions for me. IMHO that's OK. However with me, with my poor memory, they're always new. :rolleyes:

I'm actually looking at this stick for my not-so-serious DOSBox sims... Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I know it's on the low end and has no FFB, but it's cheap enough that I don't have to treat it with kid gloves.

Sorry, don't know anything about the 3D Pro but others here should ...... maybe do a post search?