COMBATSIM Forum

TAW 2.30 Beta Public Release (obsolete)

Home Fries

TAW 2.0 Beta 5 (link removed) has been released to the public. The primary purpose of TAW 2.30 is to update the support EXE files (i.e. the Launcher, TAWBC Mission Enhancer, Pilot Utility, etc.) to be natively compatible with Windows Vista and later. Earlier versions of TAW 2.0 require Windows XP Compatibility mode; 2.30 does not.

TAW 2.30 Beta 5 installs directly on top of TAW 2.22a, so make sure you have a copy of 2.22a installed prior to installing TAW 2.30 Beta 5. Once it is installed, you will want to be sure that your TAW 2.0 Launcher shortcut no longer requires Windows XP Compatibility mode. To do this, right click on your TAW 2.0 icon, select Properties, then select the "Compatibility" tab. If the installer did its job properly you should see the following dialog with no boxes checked.

taw_shortcut_compat_zps724e7a46.jpg

If XP Compatiblity mode is still checked, be sure to uncheck it. If it is checked and greyed out, you will need to click the "Change Settings for all users" button and uncheck it from within administrator mode.

Once you load the TAW 2.0 Launcher, you will be able to tell its version by clicking "About" in the help menu, where you should see the version number near the top of the splash screen.

The purpose of this release is to get people to test these files on a multitude of systems. We did a limited test run to check for corrupted datafiles and showstoppers, but as long as you install the beta correctly you should be OK.

Please post all bugs pertaining to the launcher and support files. Feel free to use this thread for beta reports.

Edited by Home Fries
Thread is now obsolete

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one HF. Great job. :thumbsup:

To everybody else, Win8 is particularly interesting to me. I have TAW2.30beta2 installed on my Notebook with Win8 the OS. So far so good, :icon_rock: , but others might find otherwise. So let's hear from you if this is the case. :metoo:

Please be sure to include an udnerstandable documentation to all your releases with stuff like "How to install?" and "What does this and that new feature do?" so that someone like me can understand this stuff too ;)

It would be useful if you could follow whatever instructions are available to download and install 2.30. We're all a bit too familiar with downloading and installing to really see what is missing. Thanks.

This is a beta, and requires that TAW 2.22a already be installed. Just install the 2.20 full version, then patch it up to 2.22a with the two other patch files. Only then should you apply this 2.30 beta patch.

Beta patches won't include exhaustive instructions, though they do contain readmes that should be read through entirely. The final release will be a self-contained installer so you won't have to do any patching.

It would be useful if you could follow whatever instructions are available to download and install 2.30. We're all a bit too familiar with downloading and installing to really see what is missing. Thanks.

Sorry ........ really meant download and install 2.20, 2.22a + and then 2.30beta2 .....

...in Bali?? IF so cool have fun and stay out of trouble.. Wish I was there ;)

Thanks Neph. I'm here for 3 weeks with my daughter's father-in-law. He's from England and we great mates. Both over 70. No turtles this time of year so have to do something else. No harm "looking at the menu as long as I eat at home".. :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this update.

I've had one devil of a time trying to get the color of the screen to display correctly. By installing this 2.30 release - walla!!! It is now fixed. I can finally get going with this sim.

Thanks again,

:thumbsup: Now we need to get you into Multiplay. :woohoo: Then you can join me as I taxi into every building looking for the runway. :rofl: Seriously, its great fun and not too serious. ;)

Beta 3 is up. Beta 3 updates nGlide to version 1.02 and adds some minor GUI enhancements.

Please consider this the release candidate; if I don't get any reports of bugs I'll release TAW 2.30 as a single standalone download (not a patch).

downloading ..... installing ...... testing.

With my PC and XP: With SweetFX disable the colours are stronger. Eg. the brown's are browner. Nice. :thumbsup: For me anyway.

With SweetFX set to default, when getting out of a mission (shf q) back to the main menu, it goes quarter screen on my desktop. Still works but just small window. Returning to a mission goes full screen.

I can't see the buttons around a zoomed in MFD at night with no moon. Also with NVG turned on the green in normal virtual 'pit and the zoomed in MFD are very dark green. Very unrealistic compared to what I've seen elsewhere and very different to 2.30beta2. This is all on the PC with XP and SweetFX disabled. Don't think the NVG Tool (my old perennial ;) ) is working either.

I decided I might be running with a corrupt TAW2.0 installation after those CDT's with no error message I was getting at our last MP session. Hence a fresh installation. Up to 2.22a everything seemed to work fine, but upon installing 2.30beta3 I get this:

runtime_zps229140d3.jpg

This is on the PC running XP with nglide exe. Please note I did not install the 2.30beta2 patch. For the moment I'm uninstalling and going back to 2.22a.

Edit: Correction. I'll stick with 2.30beta3 as I can load TAW2.0 through F22.exe. I just have no Launcher.

Re-installing as discussed. How do I confirm 222a has been installed? Install says it has, but main menu still shows 221.

EDIT: No readme file is show at completion of 222a install. Makes me even more suspicious.

Edited by Wombat1940

Assuming 222a has installed I can install 230beta2 over the top no problems. However main menu still shows 221.

If I then load 230beta3 over the top of 230beta2, I get the same 383 error message. I think the problem is your end rather than mine. I'm going to install again up to 230beta2.