COMBATSIM Forum

TAW 2.30 Beta Public Release (obsolete)

Home Fries

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wombat, I couldn't duplicate the issue on my Windows 7 x86 laptop. I did a fresh install without ever running the launcher, patched to beta 3 and it worked fine. I did another attempt, ran the launcher after installing 2.22a, then installed beta 3 on top and it worked fine.

I'll attempt this on my XP partition, but I'm wondering if the issue with your WinRAR is more indicative of a hard drive issue than with the beta 3 launcher itself. A corrupt file would be able to cause the 383 error you saw.

Maybe. Although I can install successfully up to 230beta2. It only happens when going from 30beta2 to beta3 or 222a to beta3. I would have thought this points to problem with beta3. Anyway it probably doesn't really matter. I think DCS is the future. For others that is. I'll just go the way of Hawkx. ;)

If you can still install beta 2 to the same folder, that's a good datapoint. The other thing I would like you to try is to rename that TAW folder (i just put an x at the end of it), then do another virgin install. This will place the files on a different physical part of the hard drive. Then see if you have the same problem with beta 3.

I'll take a look at the differences between 2 and 3, though the only thing I added was the forced removal of existing glide wrappers when a new EXE is selected (allows for nGlide updates).

If you can still install beta 2 to the same folder, that's a good datapoint. The other thing I would like you to try is to rename that TAW folder (i just put an x at the end of it), then do another virgin install. This will place the files on a different physical part of the hard drive. Then see if you have the same problem with beta 3.

I'll take a look at the differences between 2 and 3, though the only thing I added was the forced removal of existing glide wrappers when a new EXE is selected (allows for nGlide updates).

Is what you've added the problem then?

I do a rename and reinstall.

Home Fries, on 29 Jan 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:snapback.png

......... I added was the forced removal of existing glide wrappers when a new EXE is selected (allows for nGlide updates).

But it doesn't. nGlide setting are retained (ie. gamma 1.2) from previous install as are my MODs.

EDIT:

Would be interesting to do a jointly time install while on TS3. Both in XP just to see if my install matches yours. I'm interested if you are ..... ;)

Home Fries, on 29 Jan 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:snapback.png

But it doesn't. nGlide setting are retained (ie. gamma 1.2) from previous install as are my MODs.

EDIT:

Would be interesting to do a jointly time install while on TS3. Both in XP just to see if my install matches yours. I'm interested if you are ..... ;)

nGlide settings are global and in a registry, so those won't change. However, you should see 1.02 in the configurator version instead of 0.99.

If we do a joint install, I need to set up TS3 on my XP system. Hit me up on Raptr and we can coordinate, though I won't be able to do it just before the fly-in. BTW, no problem flying 2.22a for the fly in either.

nGlide settings are global and in a registry, so those won't change. However, you should see 1.02 in the configurator version instead of 0.99.

If we do a joint install, I need to set up TS3 on my XP system. Hit me up on Raptr and we can coordinate, though I won't be able to do it just before the fly-in. BTW, no problem flying 2.22a for the fly in either.

Is it worth setting up TS3 on your XP system? I'm probably the only person still using it. However the choice is yours, although I'm also unavailable prior to tonight's/today's fly-in. Have to brief the Brigadier General about today's/tonight's mission. ;)

Edit: Interesting about "nGlide settings are global and in a registry". So I assume they don't get changed with a TAW2.0 uninstall. Would that mean a re-install of TAW2.0 is not a totally clean install?

EDIT 2: Gees! Just had a look at my nGlide version in the configurator: 0.98. :o

Edited by Wombat1940

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks, finally the brown edges/blocks are gone. Just a question, how do I enable this "SweetFX" thing for TAW2?

You need to be running nGlide as your Glide wrapper. If you are, then the SweetFX entry will show up on the pull down menu of the launcher.

By "doesn't work" please describe the issues you're having. I'm guessing that you can see the pulldown menu and select an option, but you don't see a difference in-game. Is this the case? If not, what specifically is the issue.

Also, please provide your hardware configuration.

By "doesn't work" please describe the issues you're having. I'm guessing that you can see the pulldown menu and select an option, but you don't see a difference in-game. Is this the case? If not, what specifically is the issue.

Also, please provide your hardware configuration.

When I use any option in SweetFX, the game simply quits to desktop as soon as I start flying (without even warning messages).

My hardware:

--Disply : Full HD display (down-scaled while normal usage). However, nGlide sees and uses my display as full HD.

--GPU : nvidia gt330m

--RAM : 4gb ram ddr3

--CPU : i5 m520 2.4ghz

--joystick : Logitech extreme 3d pro

External software: BES for cpu cycle limiting (version 1.5.2) http://mion.faireal.net/BES/#download

In your C:/ directory, there should be a text file called 'f22.$$$' which is created when the game crashes.

If it exists, please open it in Notepad and post its contents here.

Program fault at 0x536D46, cleanup up and exiting!
00023A16 00093000 00536D46 00210206
00003839 00023C00 0004F2FB 0004F400 00023C00 0004F2FB
0000002B 0000002B 00000053 0000002B 00000023 0000002B
version 5.191 by on Nov 16 1998
/* THIS COMMENT IN HERE IS NOT INCLUDED IN FILE, IT IS ADDED BY ME: I copied this after running taw2 with sweetFX (default) and with my joystick disconnected.*/

Thanks, but from that, I have no idea....

Does it work without sweetFX?

I don't use sweetx or nGlide, so I'm not going to be much help. :(

Yes, it works fine without sweetFX and 2.30 beta4 is even better than 2.22a on my computer. Thanks for the help anyways.

YOmDuDV.jpg

Thankfully I am a noob at this and I will not write a program that large

Yet.............................................

I'm willing to bet that this is a videocard/driver issue, especially since you're using a mobile GPU. SweetFX was written to enhance DX9 compatible games with things like HDR and antialiasing, and it's doing something that your chipset or driver doesn't like. Perhaps the shared video RAM/system RAM common on many laptops is having an effect as well (the SweetFX enhancments can also eat up a lot of VRAM).

SweetFX is an unsupported bonus, and you don't lose any gameplay by not having it enabled. Just enjoy it on the laptop. If you wish to pursue this further, please start here and you will likely get a better answer than I can give.

• 2 months later...