COMBATSIM Forum
Skeeter

Gory Gori FC3 A-10A SP Mission

Given that the subject mission was included with the Flaming Cliffs 3 package from DCS, I was surprised to find what I believe are quite a few errors in the mission that render it unworkable and, most likely, unwinnable. In at least two cases incorrect units are being activated. In another case, the wrong unit is being tracked for entry into a trigger zone. The condition "FLAG IS MORE" was used when it should have been "FLAG IS TRUE" in another instance. Finally, the CAS2 orbit was set up such that they would never fly through the trigger zone that would allow their activation (or the trigger zone was placed between the wrong waypoints).

Finally, the return and nearby bases were set to neutral, which would disallow repair and rearming. This might have been intentional. I suppose that with judicial use of your wingman and available CAS units, this mission could be won without rearming, but maybe not.

I certainly could be wrong about some of these things, but in some cases the errors are pretty clear. If you wish, you can download a modified version of this mission with the above changes. I have yet to win this mission, so there might be other things lurking, but I have gone over it fairly thoroughly now. One additional change that I make for myself since I'm still very green is to eliminate the two SAM batteries and give myself at least a fighting chance (that change was not made in the linked version).

I hope this helps anyone who might be interested. Also, I'm very open to strategy advice on this one. It seems success is highly dependent upon proper use of your available assets, mainly in terms of when they get activated.

Thanks,

Skeeter

Download link:

http://www.poweredmodelairplanes.com/FC3-A-10A-Gory_Gori_Corrected.miz

I made it to the second phase of the mission (trying to take objective red) and my Bradleys got torn up by the T-90s while the Abrams were miles behind. That's even after I took out 1 T-90 platoon in a single pass.

You're right, I think, that the triggers may need some work. I got frustrated with the original myself so I can't really compare them, but thought I would provide my feedback nevertheless.

Have you posted this on the ED forums? You might get some feedback from the uber mission designers over there, as well as perhaps the original author.

Hi Home Fries,

Thanks for having a look and for the feedback. I actually managed to get a mission success after posting this, although without the SAM batteries being active as I mentioned. I'll tweak this mission a bit more, I think. I could be missing some of the original intent, but, considering the many errors in the mission setup, they couldn't have spent much time testing this before it got included in FC3. For example, just before the move on the white objective, the last one after the blue and red objectives, the tanks that get spawned to defend white seem to be destroyed almost immediately. Unfortunately, I didn't check the mission stats to see who took them out, but it wasn't due to my CAS tasking. I'm assuming it was the artillery, but I don't really known. If this happens every time, it renders CAS2 useless given that they activate after the red objective is taken and before the move on white. They would be of better use earlier in the mission, perhaps. Also, the travel time of the invading forces is quite long--I used time acceleration a lot. By the way, I did not rearm in the instance when I got the mission success. I'm not sure, but I think the CAS flight leaves the area as well if I do.

Another odd thing that was happening was when I left the CAS flights in orbit mode before tasking them. Somehow they managed to drift over AAA, but their defined orbit should have kept them safe. In one instance the CAS flight pushed before I get them the order. Maybe they were bingo fuel or something. I'm sure much of this is just my having to learn how things operate in DCS World.

I really enjoyed all of the action in this mission, but it does seem that it could benefit from some refinement. I will post about the obvious errors on the ED forum. I have to say this really surprises me. It makes me wonder about all of the other canned missions and campaigns that come with the original software.

Thanks again,

Skeeter

Well, existing missions and campaigns have never been the high point of ED sims; the campaigns for Flanker 2 were pretty much unplayable. That said, once Matt Wagner came on board, a number of the campaigns (the ones he did) increased in quality. BTW, Matt Wagner also did the Janes F/A-18 Valhalla campaign, so he can make a good mission. The F-15 and Su-27 campaigns appear to be good as well, and from what I understand the Ka-50 campaign is very good. I figure a lot of other things were just ported over from FC1 and FC2 without a lot of testing.

So it appears you're getting some great experience with the ME. You should check out Eagle's ME Wiki.

So it appears you're getting some great experience with the ME. You should check out Eagle's ME Wiki.

I will check out the Wiki, thanks. Digging into the specifics of just this one mission has indeed given me great info on the ME. It's pretty amazing what you can do. Now if I can just think of a good story line to develop... :unsure:

I found and corrected another bug in this mission. It wasn't that the vehicles protecting the white zone were getting destroyed as soon as they were spawned. They were visible from the start and before being activated and were getting destroyed early in the overall mission. Their ETA was set to day "0" instead of day "1". Also, I noticed as a result of looking into this that "Visible before start" seems to have no effect. Everything is checked "Visible before start," but nothing shows up until it gets activated, assuming their ETA is set to day 1 in this mission.

I uploaded a corrected version to the link above.

Skeeter

Skeeter, it looks like your mission is now live on the ED site. BTW, I also 5-starred your A-10C HOTAS sheet. :icon_salute3:

Hi Home Fries,

I did see that they posted it, thanks. And thank you for the feedback on the HOTAS sheet. I do appreciate it.

Skeeter