Hey!

Old Guy

Soldiers use that word as an all-purpose expression ranging from utter disgust to outright fear.

Oddly, considering the popularity of the word, the last words usually uttered by pilots who are about to plow into a geographical feature tends to be "Ohhhhh, shit."

I have no idea why this is.

OG

There is a lot of debate as to whether the FCC has the constitutional authority to restrict anything on tv. The logic is that the first amendment guarantees the right to free speech, including saying or showing anything on tv, without restriction. Our founding fathers did ot foresee a time when there would be such broadcast mediums or a society that would be morally bankrupt and corrupt to the core. They also did not foresee a government that would pass laws requiring individuals to purchase health insurance as part of citizenship. :(

Funny how different people view words differently. That "F***" word we're discussing for instance. I understand it was quite widely used in England centuries ago, and was not considered a "bad" word then. Personally, I object to its use in everyday speech because it sounds so ugly when spoken, and is used far too often by young people in the presence of the older generation, with no thought to its effect on their ears. It also, rightly or wrongly, shows to me a lack of vocabulary, but then, of course, this is the year 2013 when the finer aspects of life are considered passé!