HVAA Missions

Skeeter

Just curious if anyone has had success with HVAA missions (high value airborne asset, I believe). I recently flew two such missions in the Urgent Shield campaign and failed both times. The flight that I was to shoot down never appeared, at least not that I could see.

Thanks,

Skeeter

I try to avoid HVAA missions because they rely on you and the target getting to the same point in space at the same time. As you well know, anything in TAW can happen to prevent this from happening, and you often fail the mission through no fault of your own.

You'd be better served hijacking a CAP flight and heading to where the HVAA is supposed to be. Then you can hit anything that comes your way, and you won't lose if the intended target doesn't come.

You'd be better served hijacking a CAP flight and heading to where the HVAA is supposed to be. Then you can hit anything that comes your way, and you won't lose if the intended target doesn't come.

Thanks for the advice, Home Fries. I had a feeling these missions weren't straight forward after my experience.

Well, gotta go--have a Track IR to set up! :dancinguy:

Skeeter

Ohhh whats this, Did I miss somebody getting some new hardware?? Well I am curious to know what you think of it Skeeter..??

Yep, Santa must have read my letter! So far I have only set up a simple profile for TAW, but I like it. It is taking some getting used to, though. I'm anxious to see how the other axes work in DCS. That will be next.

One of the features I really like is that you can re-center it on the fly. As you go through a flight, your natural head angle might change a little. A simple button press resets the Track IR to that new posture.

An odd sensation, though, is when I look right or left and try to hold the angle, there seems to be slow rebound. I guess your head naturally starts to move a little back towards center. I have to learn how to finely control head movement now.

Skeeter

Skeeter,

I recommend developing a profile for DCS first (using all axes), then tweaking that profile for other sims like TAW and EF2000 (which only use Pitch and Yaw). You'll find that tweaking to lesser motion from your DCS profile will be easier than trying to do steeper curves from your TAW profile in order to see all angles.

I recommend developing a profile for DCS first (using all axes), then tweaking that profile for other sims like TAW and EF2000...

Thanks Home Fries. I'll do that.

I'm curious about what you and Neph might be using. Mine came with the standard TrackClip which has three reflective surfaces. Are you using the TrackClip PRO with the active LEDs? If so, do you think it provides noticeably better tracking?

Skeeter

You should have no problems with the reflective surfaces. Set the red LEDs in the TrackIR to on so you can get a better reflection, and remove any direct light sources from behind your head (though it's not nearly as sensitive about this as it used to be in first/second gen TrackIRs). I used the reflective surfaces with a TrackIR 3 for years with no issues.

That said, the TrackClip Pro does track a lot better because it's an active LED source instead of a reflection. Also, by mounting on the side of the head instead of on the bill of a cap, you get a greater response area because you don't have the bill of the cap blocking one or more point source at extreme angles. However, the TrackIR 5 is supposed to have really good Field of View, so this may be less of a problem than with the 3 or 4.

Just curious if anyone has had success with HVAA missions (high value airborne asset, I believe). I recently flew two such missions in the Urgent Shield campaign and failed both times. The flight that I was to shoot down never appeared, at least not that I could see.

Thanks,

Skeeter

Skeeter,

What were the intended targets?

Skeeter,

What were the intended targets?

Hi DrKevDog,

In both cases I was supposed to shoot down an A-50 Mainstay. In the first mission I shot one down that was near the CAP waypoint, but it must not have been the correct flight. In the second mission I made sure to look for the A-50 flight I was supposed to shoot down, but it never appeared. Other A-50 flights did show up and I shot them down, but still lost the mission. I hung around the CAP area for a long time and even went RTB, rearmed and went back again. My target flight never showed up anywhere. I checked all enemy flight names in the MFD during the mission, but no joy.

Skeeter

Exactly what I suspected <_< I was once very good at HVAA missions, however, I've not flown one recently. I am interested in your statement: "Other A-50 flights did show up and I shot them down...". As I recall, the campaigns are typically very reserved and conservative about the number of HVAA it launches, hmmm. That said, I am a firm believer in what I firmly believe in, especially when I have compelling evidence to support my beliefs. I believe the A-50 Mainstay, in TAW, is unique in that it uses a stealth tactic no other TAW aircraft has. Krycztij described an opcode that only the a50.3 and awc_a50 possess and which pushes a fog distance onto the stack causing an unusual shape appearance. Prior to that I called it "ghosting" because of the peculiar A-50 appearance on initial disclosure. I suspect the code supports a process to protect enemy A-50 aircraft. Therefore I developed a stealth counter strategy to approach and "burn through" its defenses. Flying with only one F22 wingman, internal weapons only, high, fast, and deep. Sensor and IFF management are critical, coupled with smart responsive-evasive strategies to avoid detection and yet allow for continued progress of shortest distance to target area flight vectors. Timing is of the essence, get-in, get-out, stealth-maintaining gun kill or SRAAM is the objective. These flights were always a ride of shear terror :superscare: and the thrill of victory was unmatched by any other. Many sucessful kills resulted and I found that the HVAA missions can significantly progress ones campaign success, if the correct startegy is employed ;)

Exactly what I suspected <_< I was once very good at HVAA missions, however, I've not flown one recently. I am interested in your statement: "Other A-50 flights did show up and I shot them down...". As I recall, the campaigns are typically very reserved and conservative about the number of HVAA it launches, hmmm. That said, I am a firm believer in what I firmly believe in, especially when I have compelling evidence to support my beliefs. I believe the A-50 Mainstay, in TAW, is unique in that it uses a stealth tactic no other TAW aircraft has. Krycztij described an opcode that only the a50.3 and awc_a50 possess and which pushes a fog distance onto the stack causing an unusual shape appearance. Prior to that I called it "ghosting" because of the peculiar A-50 appearance on initial disclosure. I suspect the code supports a process to protect enemy A-50 aircraft. Therefore I developed a stealth counter strategy to approach and "burn through" its defenses. Flying with only one F22 wingman, internal weapons only, high, fast, and deep. Sensor and IFF management are critical, coupled with smart responsive-evasive strategies to avoid detection and yet allow for continued progress of shortest distance to target area flight vectors. Timing is of the essence, get-in, get-out, stealth-maintaining gun kill or SRAAM is the objective. These flights were always a ride of shear terror :superscare: and the thrill of victory was unmatched by any other. Many sucessful kills resulted and I found that the HVAA missions can significantly progress ones campaign success, if the correct startegy is employed ;)

Great post 'Doc. :thumbsup: I used to love those types of missions (ie. total stealth). "Sweaty Palms" territory for me, which I've written about in detail somewhere else I think.

In regard to Skeeter's problem, I wonder if the packaged HVAA missions create the same elusive target(s)? :huh:

Exactly what I suspected <_<....

Hi DrKevDog,

I had a feeling there was a reason for your question. In case it means anything, I believe these HVAA target flights are named "China," at least in the Urgent Shield campaign. Maybe not all, but the first two were, I think, and a third HVAA mission that came up was definitely "China" again. The next time one comes up, I'll give your strategy a try.

I agree with Wombat--great post. Thanks.

Skeeter

In regard to Skeeter's problem, I wonder if the packaged HVAA missions create the same elusive target(s)? :huh:

No. I flew the HVAA RSO - Ethiopian Tour "AWACS Kill" mission using auto at take-off and during flight. Just see how the TOT went. The AWACS was taxiing on my arrival.

I then flew the mission again 2 hours later (by adjusting the mission take-off time by 2 hours). The AWACS was again taxiing.

I flew the mission for a 3rd time, this time sitting on the runway for 30mins after scheduled take-off time. When I got 60 miles from the target area the AWACS was already airborne. This is to be expected, however IMHO it should be the same for a campaign HVAA mission.