Frozen Monday

Donster

We have fair skies, -16F along with -42F wind chill this morning. Plan on the coldest air to arrive around 8am with wind chills generally around -50 from 6am to 10am. After this time period, wind chills should moderate to around -40. Actual air temperatures will likely warm to the -15 to -10 range for the afternoon hours.

Most schools are closed across the area.

The Babes in the "Babe Bunker" are just fine. I've been cuddling with them so they keep warm all night. You all can quit worrying about them, as Donnie is on the job protecting them.

Donnie is on the job, protecting the babes in the Babe Bunker? I think someone should protect the babes from Donnie! :lol:

Nice, warm morning, started out at 60F at 0600, it's now 1716 hours and 37F, on it's way to 10F by morning. When I got to the office this morning, I had messages on my answering machine, today's patients called on Sunday to cancel their Monday appointments because the weather guessers were all talking about how cold it was going to be Monday. I heard some of those forecasts and the lead off was "extreme cold on Monday". What they all left off was "night". A good number of Tuesday's patients called today to cancel. Schools that are have not announced being closed tomorrow are on a two-hour delay and most likely will close tomorrow. Back when I was in school, we never closed because it was hot or cold. We almost always wore sweaters inside the class room and sometimes coats and gloves. School closed when there was a minimum of two inches of snow... on the road! If you could see any part of the road, school was open. These days people will run and hide for anything and everything. No wonder we no longer lead the world in anything but idiocy.

It's a country full of lawyers, parents who sue the schools when their kid falls at the playground and scrapes his knee because there wasn't a teacher right there to catch him/her. Or the kid might get cold being driven to school. Or walking a block. Our schools never closed either, unless there was enough snow the plows couldn't keep up. Never for cold, or being to hot and humid. And if they did cancel school, you didn't know until early in the morning, not the day before. They waited until the last minute to make the decision.

All I hear is "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!" You should be here in California, where I woke up to 46F this morning, and it only went up to 58F this PM! But we can handle it, unlike some!

Whiz, let me have my bitchin' time, don't make shove myself through the modem and hurt you. :lol:

Yeah, Donnie, I forgot about the part where schools closed at the last minute. I remember a few times when the announcement came over the old AM radio station and I would go out and tell the bus driver that school was closed. That meant the driver had to turn around and take the few kids already on the bus back to their bus stops. It was miserable growing up like that. Then, once the snow stopped, we all bundled up in long johns, jeans, flannel shirts, coats, hats and galoshes and played in the snow until nearly dark. It must be some sort of a miracle that we all didn't die from being out in the cold. My wife did put it into perspective for me. She reminded me that we did not have air conditioning and the heating systems were not all that great, so could survive "extreme weather". Kids today have it way too easy, just sit inside in climate controlled paradise, playing X-Box.

That is how we got the word...AM radio. The 3 TV stations were unreliable. Mom would turn the radio on at 5am or so just to make sure. We had to walk just over a mile to school, until we got into Jr. High, then we got to ride the school bus into Iowa City, which was eight miles away. My home town of North Liberty had just an elementary school. We were considered to close for bus service.