Another Hump Day Weather Report

Donster

8F and overcast with a wind chill of -4. Occasional flurries will linger across the area today, but those won't amount to anything. What you'll really notice is the wind picking up as the day goes on. It'll be blowing out of the northwest at 15 to 30 mph, sometimes gusting higher. Highs will end up around 10 with falling temperatures in the afternoon. Winds remain strong and gusty overnight. As lows fall to around -10, wind chills will be pushing to around -30.

Morning all, it was 11F this morning, snow started yesterday around 3PM, so the kids certainly could have gone to school at least for half of the day. This doctrine of preemptive school closing is a load of crap.

Anyway, the temperature has soared to 13F over the past two hours. I have yet to go outside, but I will accept the local news reports of a very uniform 3 inches of snow over the entire greater Richmond, VA, area. I'll go out a little later, maybe once it hits 16F, and clean the snow from the cars, sidewalk and driveway. Oh, and cable internet and tv service have been spotty this morning. Don't know if snow blew into the electrical equipment or if someone lost control of their car and took out some utility lines. Bad driving is a serious problem around here and with snow and ice on the roads, the driving skills are nearly non-existent. So many people, often in 4-wheel drive vehicles, seem to think they can go fast, stop quickly and turn on a dime. The result is lots of vehicles in ditches.

The temperature hit 16F and I spent about 25 minutes clearing snow from the porches, steps, and cars. The snow is a fine, powdery snow and all but about an inch blew off of the sidewalk and driveway. I tried to remove that snow, but beneath that snow is about 1/4 inch of ice. Typical central Virginia snow, pretty on top, ice on the bottom. <_<

I don't know what you guys in the east are whining about. It is winter. You know -- short days, long nights, Canadian air masses. It's been going on for a long time. Surely you must have noticed.

Got up to about 50F today in Fort Collins. No snow, partly cloudy. Dry. Did I mention dry?

Been nice for the last couple weeks.

:) OG