COMBATSIM Forum

Thursday Weather Thread

Clear skies and 28F, with 15F wind chill. Frickin' snow to move into eastern Iowa today. The morning hours are the favored time for snowfall, but some of this activity will likely linger into the early afternoon as well. We are still looking for a quick 1-2" from Cedar Rapids northward. This is just the beginning of an active weather pattern as a more potent system arrives later Friday into Saturday. At this time, several inches are likely out of that one, with cold air pushing in for Sunday.

:(

Holy frickin' freezin'! It's 4F this morning. That's 4 Fahrenheit, not Celsius. I'd gladly take 4C, but no, it's 4F. Area schools are still closed due to the secondary streets still covered in snow and ice, but the rest of us return to work today. We are expecting sunshine and what will likely feel like a tropical heat wave of 34F for a high.

Greetings friends,

I hope that you have realized that the earth is in a climate crisis. You have laughed and even mocked those of us who have attempted to warn you of the dangers of man made global warming. You are now realizing the effects of global warming. Do not scoff when we tell you that unseasonably cold weather is the result of global warming. Now, you might be curious as to how global warming creates unusually cool winters. It is all related to the earth's atmosphere being of a finite volume. It is perfectly normal for extremely cold air to exist over the earth's polar regions. Under normal conditions, this incredibly cold air will circulate over the poles and nowhere else. But, because we have increased the temperature of the earth's air, and warm air expands and rises, all of this warm, expanding air has filled the upper atmosphere and is now displacing the polar air. The warm air is, to put it very simply, applying pressure to the top of the polar air mass, squeezing that cold air and forcing it to spread and cover a greater area of the globe. This is why global warming has caused this extremely cold winter.

I hope it is not too late to reverse the effects of global warming, but time is running out. We must act now. I am very pleased that the United States has banned the sale of nearly all incandescent light bulbs. This is a good first step, but we are not yet finished. We must immediately cease using fossil fuels to generate electricity or power our vehicles. Geo-thermal, solar and wind power are unlimited sources of energy and we should convert to these sources of energy. Join me in drive for a greener, cleaner, sustainable mother earth.

Peace.

Oh, God, he's back!

I can buy your theory of warm air displacing cold air, etc, etc. But you totally lost me when you put the Obama sticker on the bottom of your post. Haven't you Liberal guys realized yet that he's a total disaster? He's going down as the worst President this country has ever had, and definitely the most arrogant. I would have a lot more respect for you if you just said you were Uncommitted, or something. Have you ever heard of the U.S. Constitution? Apparently Obama hasn't, and intends to try and trample all over it with both feet very shortly. Please, RT, remove the scales from your eyes, keep your Mother Earth thing, but look at Obamas record of sleazy people he's hired, the disdain he has for Joe Average, and his personal life, including Michelles high cost of living off the taxpayer, which probably includes you! Or not, depending if your Unemployment Benefits have run out!

Geez, the temperature fell to 2F while I was at work and now I know why. All that hot air spewed out by Rotarooter displaced more cold air and it slid right over Virginia. This Sunday I will be rooting for the Seahawks while enjoying my house that is heated by a gas fired hot water heater and under the glow of a few incandescent lights. That's after driving to the store a few times in my gasoline powered SUV. And why did I drive to the store so many times? To get some cabbage and beans, I plan to generate some greenhouse gases of my own. Yep, I'm going to raise the earth's temperature by at least 3 degrees all by myself. I hear Donnie is planning a similar thing, but he's much better at it than I am, so he can probably jack up the temperatures by another 7 or 8 degrees.

Oh, Totatiga should be pleased that I am rooting for the Seattle Seahawks this weekend. Why? Because the Seahawk is an endangered bird. Yes! The Seahawk must be nearly extinct, none have been seen and they may actually be gone. I wonder if Rototiller even knows about the Seahawk? Bet global warming pushed them to extinction and that's why Seattle settled on that name.

To get some cabbage and beans, I plan to generate some greenhouse gases of my own. Yep, I'm going to raise the earth's temperature by at least 3 degrees all by myself. I hear Donnie is planning a similar thing, but he's much better at it than I am, so he can probably jack up the temperatures by another 7 or 8 degrees.

Oh, Totatiga should be pleased that I am rooting for the Seattle Seahawks this weekend. Why? Because the Seahawk is an endangered bird. Yes! The Seahawk must be nearly extinct, none have been seen and they may actually be gone. I wonder if Rototiller even knows about the Seahawk? Bet global warming pushed them to extinction and that's why Seattle settled on that name.

I do that everyday. I am the main cause of greenhouse gas! Muhaaahaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaa!

Oh look! Ritalinbeggar is chewing on a slow roasted Seahawk leg now! I guess he thought it was Tofu Turkey.

Please allow me a rebuttal.

Whizkid, I know about the constitution and it is a living document. It changes as we change so I fail to see how it is being violated. Even if it was violated, do you not think that saving our planet, which is our only home and gives us life, is more important than a 200 year old document?

Stans, thank you so much for the information on the Seahawk. I was unaware that this bird was near extinction. Its extinction could very well be the result of man made global warming. As for tofu, it is an important part of the vegan diet as it is a good source of calcium.

Erm, not exactly:

Do scientists agree that Arctic warming could be driving these weather patterns?

These ideas are hotly contested. The exact mechanisms at work are not clear. Some researchers say it is just as likely that warmer air currents from the south could be destabilizing the jet stream. If Arctic warming were to blame, the effect should be the strongest in the northern hemisphere's summer and fall, says Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado. Moreover, Trenberth says, it is unclear how this seasonal warming effect would persist into the dead of winter.

Is this kind of unstable jet-stream activity on the rise?

Probably not, according to research published in September by Elizabeth Barnes, an atmospheric scientist at Colorado State University in Fort Collins. Barnes’ analysis of data from 1980 to 2011 found no evidence that this kind of weather system is increasing in frequency. She also did not find any connection between a warming Arctic and a meandering of the jet stream.

Then again, every liberal knows not to let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to seize power.

dws-happy.jpg

Rotatiga has a point, you know!

LOL Joker! I kind of miss Itchie and the NWO morons. At least they were good fodder for insulting.

That's about all they were good for.

Kind of like my ex-wives. Of course they insulted me. I'm to nice a guy to insult a woman. Even when she is a bitch. Well, maybe not.

• Like 1