COMBATSIM Forum

So I Tried the Whole War Thunder Thing ...

enjoying it too, but I am still in the "honeymoon stage". investing in a joystick today. Wife goes out with her bus driving friends every Friday after work. At least that what she tells me :)... Either way I may be able to get in a few hours of un-interrupted play!

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Joker been putzing around with it myself. my dog fighting skills are way rusty, but not a bad game playing for free! Biggest thing I try to do now is avoid collisions and fly smart. If you get in

We'll keep ol' 86 fueled up and on the flight line for ya

Got my stick problems mostly sorted out. Turned out all the fiddling I was doing was wasted. The default "joystick" is evidently a mouse and keyboard, even though I specified a joystick when I first

There are lots of free single player missions in game.

I haven't paid a cent and I have been playing it since beta.

Nice, Cabbie! I notice there's some sort of dynamic campaign, too.

Really does seem to be some potential here. As Jay says, we're in the honeymoon phase. :)

just grabbed the last 3d pro from best buy, during lunch today $27 - my $10 best buy reward gift card so not bad for $17. Just need to have get together with one more client today and hopefully resolve his issue then I can have at it and try the joystick world.

• Like 1

I signed up yesterday. Downloaded the game stuff. That took some time.

Today I set up my joystick and fiddled around with some other settings. Flew one P-26 mission. Found out my stick settings aren't right. My fault, not the game, as far as I can tell.

Gonna go back in after a bit and try to fix the settings and explore a little more. I'm not sure I like the weird mix of aircraft types in the Battle arena. I guess we'll see.

OG

• Like 1

Cool, Jim! Try Realistic Battles -- fairly authentic flight models, and each side flies either Axis or Allies. Arcade Battles got old pretty quickly, for me. Of the starter machines, I think I prefer the Hawker Fury. Now that I've moved up a bit, I'm enjoying the I-16. it is kinda novel, though, flying all those interwar machines. Something different. :)

Joystick config issues for me as well OG, just did a quick set up just fiddling with it, flew a mission not quite right. Have to sit down and really take my time and set it up. Joker the throttle on my 3d pro worked just fine, but my pitch is off, I'm not climbing like I should, not set up right for sure. You tube has a video someone did setting up their joystick, may look there for tips. mixed up planes is an understatement OG! nothing like being in a p-26 getting owned by a corsair!

Joystick weirdness! I think Donnie posted some joystick info further up in this thread. WT definitely needs to sort that out.

I'm not seeing too many mismatches in Realistic Battles. Usually, they keep the aircraft fairly equal, but yeah, it happens.

Of course, when it happens that I'm flying the superior machine, that's just fine by me. :)

I'm having joystick issues as well, but not related to performance. I've fiddled with the sensitivity settings and everything is working fairly well except the roll axis is damned touchy. That could be related to the performance of individual aircraft so I'm not tweaking it any more until I have a little experience in Realistic.

My problem concerns brakes. In Arcade and Simple controls, the brakes were mapped to the B on the keyboard. In Realistic, you must assign left and right brakes individually -- they can't be mapped to the same button.

Problem: I don't have any buttons on the joystick to assign the brakes to. What in hell have you guys done with your brakes? Until I get that figured out I'll never be able to land that damn Russian bird safely.

Jim

Hey Jim, I do have the brakes assigned to a single button, kinda by accident. The button I use to lower engine RPM also puts on the brakes when I've gone to 0% throttle, and I hold the button down. Not sure if you can map it that way.

Note that I did not set left and right brakes; that might be the trick. Perhaps try not mapping left and right brakes to anything, and see if that single button you had in Arcade and Simple still works?

Regarding the aircraft mix, this afternoon I flew an I-16 in a Realistic Battles mission, and shot down a P-26 and an F2A. Opposition also included some P-40s and Hurricanes. Those are all nearly contemporaneous with the Polikarpovs and LaGGs my side was flying. When I got the Buffalo, a Hurricane was chasing me. Somebody must have pulled him off my tail, but I did have some damage when I potted that Buff. Landed to rearm and repair. When I took off again, I was only airborne a few moments until our side won -- and I had high score! Might be my best mission yet. :)

really don't like LaGG I was having a hard time flying it, till I read it's history and found the Russian pilots called it the ceramic coffin! The plane was made of wood and other non strategic materials and coated in laquer. It was under powered and prone to stalls and spins. I think they modeled that into the plane because it is a bear to fly. At low level a widow maker!

• Like 1

You might be on to something OG on plane performance using joystick, Some planes fly like a bus, But I jump into an early Bi-plane and it flies like a dream. need to do more testing. Biggest thing I have to get used to is to be more delicate

• Like 1

Yeah Jay, I remember the LaGG from IL2. Not even going there! Ditto the MiG-3. I'll stick with my I-16, at least until my Yak is ready.

Finally tried a Simulator Battles mission last night. Uh, no thanks. Problem is, you can't use icons. Too tough to see other aircraft, at least on my monitor. Doesn't appear as though you can padlock targets, either. Nope, I think Realistic Battles is fine for me. Seems as though that's what most are flying, anyway. Simulator Battles is like a ghost town.

Last night I was also messing around with the Mitsubishi A5M4, the CLAUDE. That machine is a hoot -- turns a circle in something like 13 seconds. Downside is it's kinda slow, and only mounts a couple of .30s. But still.

So there I was, circling around Peleliu, blasting P-26s and thoroughly enjoying myself. It almost felt as though I was out over the Slot with the Death's Heads again. Well, except that I was flying Japanese, but then again, Rommel and I did constitute the OPFOR section ("Marine you die!"), so it wasn't all that weird. And I was, as we used to say, "manfully regretful."

Brought down two Peashooters before my guns ran dry. Headed back to the carrier to re-arm. Now, everybody who flew with VMF-124 knows how to trap on a carrier. The Dude (aka Paddles) made sure of that. So I wasn't worried, until I found myself on final and reached for the tailhook button. Of which there wasn't any. However -- and I stress that, however -- I am a virtual Marine aviator who is experienced in dealing with stressful situations (you try flying Skipper's wing) and trained to improvise ("Joker, where are you?!?"). In the best tradition of the Corps, I ignored my apprehensions, sucked up my anxiety, and carried on to the deck, trusting that the hook would somehow deploy automatically or some similar miracle would deliver me from danger.

Well, that didn't really work out. Hurtling toward the bow while frantically stomping the brakes, I finally acknowledged that there was no tailhook and shoved the throttle forward, boltering for another attempt. This happened two more times. On the fourth attempt, I decided that innovation was my only hope, and devised to snag my right wing on the island. The little CLAUDE spun around, but it shuddered to a halt and oddly enough, I did not die. WT duly repaired and re-armed my machine, and I was off again in search of more Peashooters to dispatch.

By this time, there weren't many left. After searching for several minutes over the target, I sighted one straggler and saddled up, twisting through a series of rolls and dives as the hapless Peashooter tried to save his skin. My guns were scoring, but as I said, they're only two of them on the CLAUDE and they don't pack much of a punch. Regardless, I must have damaged him, because he was moving mighty slowly -- in fact, I had to yo-yo and even chop the throttle to stay behind his 3/9 line.

And then my guns jammed.

That's admirable simulation modeling, but a tad inconvenient. Another carrier adventure just wasn't on the menu, not until I read the WT manual. However -- and I stress that, however -- I have observed some pilots on WT servers with the title of "Rammer." Myself, I sport the title of "Nine-Lived," because I've made at least nine landings with a damaged bird. Seeing as how Russians built WT, I'm pretty sure I know how you earn the "Rammer" distinction. Think "taran."

And you know, I kinda like the sound of "Rammer."

Committed to decisive action, I fastened onto the Peashooter's tail, reduced my speed to match his, and crept up ever-so-slowly, angling to slip my wing under his, the way Tempest pilots used to tip buzz bombs. (And skeptics say my close reading of aviation history is a waste of time.) It was looking good, really good -- right up until the part where one of my teammates blasted me out of the sky … one would hope, accidentally.

Well, poo, as Bilko used to say. Or, as Staggers used to say, "Pity." Or, as Schatten used to say, "That sucks."

Anyway, after the mission I looked around for carrier-landing instructions. Appears as though you have to be at around stall speed for the tailhook to deploy automatically. You can't map it to any control. Then you just stick yourself on the deck and try to catch a wire -- and there are wires, from all accounts. This will require some retraining on my part, since I tend to fly impatiently and usually bring the bird aboard the boat a bit hot. Doc used to warn me about that.

Bad habit; about time I reformed myself. :)

Great write-up, Joker :thumbsup:

But stop playing that silly game and join VMF-124 on Friday nights, you clot!

Hell, I think I can even arrange to have Deacon shoot you in the head like he did to me last Friday just as I was about to finish off a Jap pilot I had lined up. :lol: Plus, we have TeamSpeak so you can here Deacon say, "I'm sorry" in his sheepish Deacon voice after he kills you. I laughed so hard when he said that, but I guess you had to be there.

Haw! Yeah, once I get another PC gaming rig, Paddles, I'll be ready for some real IL2 action. :)

But WT is pretty fun. Just a different sort of fun. I reckon there's room for both sims.

Heck, I even managed to trap successfully last night. You need to be below 100 mph for the hook to deploy, it seems.

Finally leveled up to a Corsair in WT. It feels pretty accurate -- you do have to fly as Ken Walsh would advise. Grab altitude and keep your speed way, way up. Last night, before bed, I was flying a mission off Peleliu and bounced a ZEKE from up high. It disintegrated after a couple of bursts.

That felt good. Oh, yeah, did it ever.

Funny thing is, you have to pass through the Hellcat first, before you get the Corsair. The differences speak well of WT's flight modeling. The Hellcat is slower, but it turns a bit better, climbs a touch faster, and doesn't depart with such a nasty stall (its stall behavior feels more docile than the Wildcat, actually). The Corsair is much happier at higher speeds -- high-speed maneuvering is excellent -- and it seems more rugged. You don't want to dogfight with it, though. A Hellcat can turn-and-burn some, but the Corsair is purely boom-and-zoom.

Did I mention that it's fast? When you slam the throttle through the gates, nothing can catch you. It'll overheat -- that's modeled too -- but not before you can speed to safety. Just don't get caught low and slow.

Basically, the Hellcat is more forgiving if you don't use proper tactics. However, if you're flying as you should be flying, the Corsair is far more lethal -- absolutely devastating -- and it gives you a much better chance of survival.

Oh, and speaking of the Wildcat, remember how IL2 had this annoying piece of code that resulted in cut aileron cables whenever you took any damage? That's gone in WT. Small favors. :)