COMBATSIM Forum

Time for a walk down Memory Lane!

Check out this site I just found, and weep!

www.oldgames.com/games/simulation

Go to the Janes site for some nostalgia.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember flying a long campaign in Aces of the pacific, I was an ace many times over and I was flying around Like i'm all that and a bag of chips, No AI pilot is gonna get me , then one mission I end

Aces of the Pacific. Now that there was a game. I agree with Joker. Somebody needs to update that puppy. The campaign mode was awesome. You could fly in all three branches of the US military and

Fantastic site. Kudos to San Pedro Software for cobbling it together. Lots of the games are downloadable, so if you have DOS Box, you can run them and revisit your youth.

Funny thing about San Pedro Software ... they are based in Belize and their developers work out of Czech Republic. Why oh why don't their developers live in Belize?!! I may have to drop in on those dudes next time I'm in Belize ... I'll take my resume with me :)

Remember flying a long campaign in Aces of the pacific, I was an ace many times over and I was flying around Like i'm all that and a bag of chips, No AI pilot is gonna get me , then one mission I end up in a battle with a lone Zero who proceeds to hand me my ass quite handily! I remember as I was going down what flashed on the screen "You have been shot down by Nishizawa"

150px-Nishizawa_lifevest.jpg

I swore I heard him giggling as I went down in an uncontrolled spin! I was thinking well played Dynamix, well played! clipped my ears back!

He had once boasted He would never be brought down in combat by American fighters and he was right, He ended up dying at the controls of an unarmed transport, ambushed by hellcats...

• Like 1

As Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again." Some of those screenies look pretty raw, in terms of graphics. Campaign engines were really what set the Dynamix and Microprose games apart. What I'd love to see is somebody take a game like Aces of the Pacitic or European Air War and update the graphics, the physics, and the historical research. I'd hire Damon Slye as a consultant, buy his code, and license the IL2 engine for the guts of the sim. No need to reinvent the wheel, not when it was perfectly round to begin with.

Yeah, you really can't go home: I did a write-up on these boards, some years ago, about my experience running F15 Strike Eagle III in DOSBox. While it was a great walk down memory lane, there wasn't any "Oh this is cool!" like there was when the game was actually the bleeding edge of PC simulation gaming.

Yep, sometimes it's best to just remember those old classics through the soft-filter-focus of our dusty memories.

OOOH, Doug, that last line is SOOOO classical! You really have a way with words, doncha?

Our own Poet Laureate, he is!

Cue Tom Jones! :lol:

I well remember playing the original F-15: Strike Eagle on my Commodore 64, back in college. You're right, Doug, at the time it was the coolest thing ever. Even before that, booting up Hellcat Ace and moving the joystick for the first time, seeing the aircraft respond on screen, and getting an actual shiver down my spine. Of course, you couldn't really dogfight in those primitive sims. There was only one view, straight ahead. Didn't matter -- you were flying.

In those days it was all new: Everything was a discovery, and anything seemed possible.

Cue Tom Jones! :lol:

I well remember playing the original F-15: Strike Eagle on my Commodore 64, back in college. You're right, Doug, at the time it was the coolest thing ever. Even before that, booting up Hellcat Ace and moving the joystick for the first time, seeing the aircraft respond on screen, and getting an actual shiver down my spine. Of course, you couldn't really dogfight in those primitive sims. There was only one view, straight ahead. Didn't matter -- you were flying.

In those days it was all new: Everything was a discovery, and anything seemed possible.

Yep, those were glorious days, indeed!

Of course, my admonition to not "go home" doesn't apply to Papyrus's Gran Prix Legends. I fired up the GPL 2004 Demo last night and cracked out some decent lap times on Silverstone. Even though 2004 only updates the graphics of the original 1998 sim, it's still the best, most challenging, and exhilarating racing sim I've ever played, and, I think, I've played them all :)

I quit playing GPL about a year ago after finding Gran Turismo Legends, which has all GT cars from Mini-Coopers on up, and all the present day tracks updated. I find that it gives me more of a feeling that I'm actually racing my own car, rather than a F1 that Ferrari lent me! And, of course, my advanced years left me with lap times so pathetic that it was embarrassing even to me! So, in GTL I can stooge around with the local Clubs wannabees and not feel useless. And Minis are such a kick to drive!

Sadly, until I get a gaming rig, I'm stuck with the Mac Mini, so no racing sims for me. I agree about GPL and GTL, they're both the best offline racing sims evah.

Online ... you know what I'm gonna say. Yeah, iRacing is about $100/year, plus whatever you invest in cars and tracks (though you can get the service for $50/year during promotions, which is how I fund it). If you can afford iRacing, you won't be dissapointed. Or maybe you will. Me, I haven't been. :)

All this talk got me to thinking, and I remembered my affection for ToCA2 by Codemasters. I played the ever-luvin-shit outta that sim.

I just love the sound of those gear changes and the burping backfires when down-shifting through the gears. Ah, memories! Here's a video of a guy playing it (he goes to internal view at about the 1 minute 45-second mark).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLGNNeVPOw

He must've been using a console because he definitely doesn't have linear analog steering. Plus, I recall my graphics were much better than his back in the day.

What was most fun about this game, aside from the above, is that you could beat and bang door-handle-to-door-handle without completely writing-off your vehicle as you would by a mere kiss of tires in Gran Prix Legends.

Ooh, and that jazzy music in the setup screens was bloody marvellous :)

TOCA2! I'd forgotten that one, Doug, but like you, I played the snot out of it. It had a Subaru Impreza just like mine. Codemasters really nailed the "feel" of driving, in that one. Still remember the cheat code that got you all the tracks without winning each race: POSHKID. I think it's still available as an iPad app.

Heh! I was going to say that GABBAGABBAHEY was also a Toca2 cheat code, but then I realized it was a cheat code for Parallax's Descent---yet another of my nostalgic favorites. When you typed in that code, an uber-sexy female voice would say "cheeeater" :D

I played Descent for so many hours one night, when I tried to sleep, every time I closed my eyes it felt like I was still whizzing down those psychedelic-colored corridors in that zero-gravity topsy-turvey world. I was so nauseated I had to take a Gravol just to get some shut eye!

Here's some Descent gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keS0Hts2LpQ