COMBATSIM Forum

A B-29 flew over Fort Collins twice this morning. There is an airshow at a local airport featuring Fifi and a C-45 called Bucket of Bolts.

I heard the rumble of engines and walked to where I could see the sky better. And there she came, no more than 5,000 AGL, heading north. About 20 minutes later she flew over again, this time from east to west.

About an hour later I saw a C-45 in military colors.

Cool!

OG

• Like 1

Yick, you are an idiot.

It has been about 3 decades since I last saw and heard Fifi (the B-29) flying over. There is good news in the B-29 world. Fifi will be joined by a second airworthy B-29. After a 14 year restoration, the B-29 named "Doc" should be ready for her inaugural flight in October or November of this year.

This is a site and sound I'm treated to fairly often these days. Fifi "lives" over at Addison airport. About five minutes from where I currently reside. She is an awesome site.

This is a site and sound I'm treated to fairly often these days. Fifi "lives" over at Addison airport. About five minutes from where I currently reside. She is an awesome site.

Lucky man! I see that the CAF and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum are close to you. Sweet!

Back when I was a kid in Montana the Air Farce had a refueling track that passed over the valley not more than a couple miles north of my house. I was often treated to the sight of KB-50 tankers refueling . . .

Hey! Fifi is up again!

. . . sorry about that. Where was I? Oh yeah, the plane I remember best was the B-36. You could hear it coming way before you spotted it and the sound of those big radials could be felt to your very bones. The B-36 never flew very high so we usually had a good look at it. It was aptly known as the 'aluminum overcast'.

Later, after the B-36 went away, I watched B-47s, B-52s, and even a few B-58 Hustlers refueling from KB-50 and KC-97 types. I can't recall ever seeing a KC-135, but that might just be because the -135 was boring compared to the old prop jobs.

Some jets were interesting, of course. I remember seeing a couple B-58s making high speed runs along the track. This was before people started complaining about sonic booms.

Imagine -- the B-52 has been in service for almost 60 years and will be around for another 20 or so. The guys flying them today could be the grandsons and great grandsons of the original pilots. The C-130 has been in use for about the same length of time and promises to still be flying when we're all pushing up daisies.

OG

Fifi used to frequent Ellington AFB near Houston. As a teen, I'd see her every so often -- and hear her! The rumble of those engines grabbed you right in your guts. I saw her peform at a couple of CAF airshows back in the day, as well. Glad she's still around.

BTW, mentioning C-130s, that's the platform my nephew services with VR-54 at NAS New Orleans. :)

Oh yeah, Fifi has a hanger mate. Diamond Lil, a B-24-A resides there in Addison also. I've seen her up close. During an airshow in SC a little over a year ago, her front landing gear collapsed. They limped her home and some folks at one of the aviation plants, going from blueprints, rebuilt her gear and front gear bay. I think she's up and around again.