COMBATSIM Forum

Comcast vs Direct TV

I have DTV, but am so disgusted at the infantile programming (Can you say Kardashians?) that we're thinking of switching to Comcast. Any comments from anyone?

Infantile programming will likely be with whatever package you have because that's the crap that gets ratings these days. You should look at what you do get with the packages and out of that what you like.

We went with satellite over a decade ago because the local cable company didn't carry Fox News Channel, and I won't get my news from commies. Now we keep it for NFL Sunday Ticket.

What Home Fries said. We have DirecTV, but there is just as much crap programing on it as there was when we had cable. A friend of mine in Pittsburgh has Comcast, or as he calls it "Communistcast". He said the customer service is terrible. I personally have had pretty good customer service from DTV. Had Dish Network first. They didn't have hardly and HD programing at the time, unlike DirecTV which had over 100 at the time. Plus NFL Network, the Big Ten Network (our local cable company took 2 years to finally get them on their lineup). And we get NFL Sunday Ticket also. That's extra $$ of course. Only thing I will say bad about DirecTV, is that when it storms, you will lose signal. But you being in CA won't have that issue very often, if at all.

You are going to find infantile programming on every pay tv service you can imagine. People love crap like the Kardashians and pay to watch it. It boggles my mind, but explains a lot about what is wrong with this society. Anyway, I have Comcast's Digital Starter package with internet. It's ok, but the rates go up every year even though channel selection remains the same. It does have a nice cross section of programming, but college games are often on ESPNU, ESPN3 and now SEC Network. These are only available with add-on subscription packages. Sadly, with all the money to be made is sports, I see most of the major sports going to pay channels.

The thing with sports is that it is regional, so if you're like me living ouside of DC and would rather watch my beloved Seahawks instead of the infernal Redskins, then you need NFL Sunday Ticket. I used to have ESPN Gameplan as well for my college games, but with the Pac-12 now having its own network that isn't on DirecTV, Gameplan is next to worthless to me now.

The thing with sports is that it is regional, so if you're like me living ouside of DC and would rather watch my beloved Seahawks instead of the infernal Redskins, then you need NFL Sunday Ticket. I used to have ESPN Gameplan as well for my college games, but with the Pac-12 now having its own network that isn't on DirecTV, Gameplan is next to worthless to me now.

What? The Infernal Redskins? I know they need to change their name, but don't you think "Landover Redskins" sounds better? :D No professional sports team should be saddled with the name of Washington, D.C.

Thanks for the input, guys, but it looks as though I may as well stay with DTV for now. I only watch the 49ers anyway for sports, and a couple of English comedies, "As time goes by" and "Doc Martin", and "Cops" (which the missus hates!) so all the rest is junk to me. Social Security doesn't allow much for the pay channels so those are out. Actually, if you visit Maison Harlow in the evening you won't hear anything as we're both back to voraciously reading books and hardly ever speak, except to say "Shush, you're breathing too hard!"

What? The Infernal Redskins? I know they need to change their name, but don't you think "Landover Redskins" sounds better? :D No professional sports team should be saddled with the name of Washington, D.C.

If anything, the Redskins should be the Ashburn Redskins; even though the stadium is in Landover, the team is in Ashburn, VA. Supposedly, FedEx field was located in Landover to prevent Baltimore from getting another team once the Colts bolted for Indy. Honestly, though, I'll root for the Ravens before the Redskins any day of the week.

It's very nearly possible to obtain all your programming via the Internet, especially if you don't mind watching some programs after they've been broadcast on cable and satellite TV. The biggest hangup at the moment is sports coverage.

I'm about to dump cable completely and use a combination of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon for our TV watching. I may go back to enjoying sports on radio. The announcers are better anyway. They have to talk about what's going on in the game instead of filling the airwaves with other crap.

Cable and satellite providers SHOULD be under heavy competitive pressure to improve their offerings due to increased use of Internet sources by informed consumers. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out above, our nation seems to be mostly populated with Kardashian-watchers and other mindless morons, so the providers just keep raking in the dough.

OG

• Like 1

I dumped fios and have Comcast now. I am still in the honeymoon stage and will be let down I'm sure soon. My next step for tv anyway is to get a good long range digital tv antenna and supplement it like old guy, with hulu and Netflix or what ever they will have at the end of my contract in a few years..