An "Aha!" moment

Old Guy

We've all seen the famous photo of a South Vietnamese police general executing a captured VC officer during the Tet Offensive in 1968. But have you ever read the explanation for his actions? I can't recall ever seeing any kind of explanation other than crap generated by the antiwar crowd. The killing looks very much like an atrocity and that's how I've always seen it presented.

Today I was looking for a little information on the Vietnamese national police, the "white mice". I ran across a website produced by SGM Herbert A. Friedman (Ret). He has a great deal of info about the Canh Sat, or national police. He either translates the various documents presented himself or he has access to a good translator because the site contains a number of Vietnamese documents with English translations.

But what caught my eye was that famous picture accompanied by explanatory text.

Psywarrior.com

Check it out. Scroll down to the picture.

If I'd found what General Nguyen found nearby, I'd have shot the VC bastard myself.

OG

And I would have applauded you as you did it, OG! There are good wars and bad wars and this one was definitely bad, in all ways, from Washington to Saigon.

And the Korean War wasn't a whole lot different Brian. The North Korean Army were butchers. The South forced 'volunteers' into the South Korean Army. South Korean President Syngman Rhee was a corrupt Dictator, just not as bad as Kim Il Sung in North Korea. Both wars were such a waste of human lives. But aren't they all?