This Day in WWII 30 January 1939 - 1945

Donster

AmericanLocomotiveAd-Jan1943.jpg American Locomotive Ad - January 1943
1939: Hitler threatens Jews during Reichstag speech.
1941: Australian troops capture Derna as the Italians begin to withdraw towards Benghazi. The 1st South African Division launches a feint attack against Mega in southern Abyssinia, in order to prevent the Italians from sending troops to reinforce their hard pressed forces in Somaliland.
Susan%20Hayward1.jpg *Susan Hayward
Forties pinup girl Susan Hayward poses with a 1930's Hollywood searchlight.
1942: Hitler, speaking at the Berlin Sports Palace, reaffirms his prewar prophecy concerning the Jews; once again telling an audience that "the result of this war will be the complete annihilation of the Jews."
1942: The 4th Indian Division continues to withdraw along the coast road towards Derna.
1942: The Japanese capture Moulmein and its airfield in Burma as the British forces evacuate and withdraw across the river Salween.
Susan%20Hayward2.jpg Susan Hayward
1942: The British withdraw to Singapore Island with the Japanese only 8 miles away.
1942: Japanese forces capture the important naval base of Amboina between Celebes and New Guinea.
Susan%20Hayward3.jpg Susan Hayward
1943: With the German Sixth Army in its death throes at Stalingrad, Hitler does the seemingly unthinkable and allows the 10th anniversary of the Nazi seizure of power to pass without speaking to the nation. It is the first unmistakable evidence of Hitler's retreat from public appearances as the tide of the war turns.
1943: Ernst Kaltenbrunner succeeds Heydrich as head of RSHA.
Susan%20Hayward4.jpg Susan Hayward
1944: The Russians attack towards Nikopol on the southern Dnieper.
1944: A U.S. Ranger battalion is wiped out at Anzio.
1944: British attacks on the 'Golden Fortress' in the Arakan, Burma cease.
WillysAd-Jan1944.jpg Willys Ad - January 1944
1945: The Wilhelm Gustloff, an ex-Kraft Durch Freude ship (Strength Through Joy) in the service of the German Kriegsmarine, is sunk in the Baltic Sea by a Russian submarine with the loss of over 6,000 lives, making the incident the largest single naval disaster in history.
1945: On the twelfth anniversary of his coming to power, Hitler, calls for fanatical resistance by soldiers and civilians and predicts that "...in this struggle for survival it will not be inner Asia that will conquer, but the people that has defended Europe for centuries against the onslaughts from the East, the German nation..."
Susan%20Hayward5.jpg Susan Hayward
*Susan Hayward was born Edythe Marrener in Brooklyn, New York, on June 30, 1917. Her father was a transportation worker, and Susan lived a fairly comfortable life as a child, but the precocious little redhead had no idea of the life that awaited her. She attended public school in Brooklyn, where she graduated from a commercial high school that was intended to give students a marketable skill. She had planned on becoming a secretary, but her plans changed. She started doing some modeling work for photographers in the NYC area. By 1937, her beauty in full bloom, she went to Hollywood when the nationwide search was on for someone to play the role of Scarlett O'Hara in Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind" (1939). Although she--along with several hundred other aspiring Scarletts--lost out to Vivien Leigh, Susan was to carve her own signature in Hollywood circles. In 1937 she got a bit part in "Hollywood Hotel" (1937). The bit parts continued all through 1938, with Susan playing, among other things, a coed, a telephone operator and an aspiring actress. She wasn't happy with these bit parts, but she also realized she had to "pay her dues". In 1939 she finally landed a part with substance, playing Isobel Rivers in the hit action film "Beau Geste" (1939). In 1941 she played Millie Perkins in the offbeat thriller "Among the Living" (1941). This quirky little film showed Hollywood Susan's considerable dramatic qualities for the first time. She then played a Southern belle in Cecil B. DeMille's "Reap the Wild Wind" (1942), one of the director's bigger successes, and once again showed her mettle as an actress. Following that movie she starred with Paulette Goddard and Fred MacMurray in "The Forest Rangers" (1942), playing tough gal Tana Mason. Although such films as "Jack London" (1943), "And Now Tomorrow" (1944) and "Deadline at Dawn" (1946) continued to showcase her talent, she still hadn't gotten the meaty role she craved. In 1947, however, she did, and received the first of five Academy Award nominations, this one for her portrayal of Angelica Evans in "Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman" (1947). She played the part to the hilt and many thought she would take home the Oscar, but she lost out to Loretta Young for "The Farmer's Daughter" (1947). In 1949 Susan was nominated again for "My Foolish Heart" (1949) and again was up against stiff competition, but once more her hopes were dashed when Olivia de Havilland won for "The Heiress" (1949). Now, however, with two Oscar nominations under her belt, Susan was a force to be reckoned with. Good scripts finally started to come her way and she chose carefully because she wanted to appear in good quality productions. Her caution paid off, as she garnered yet a third nomination in 1953 for "With a Song in My Heart" (1952). Later that year she starred as Rachel Donaldson Robards Jackson in "The President's Lady" (1953). She was superb as Andrew Jackson's embittered wife, who dies before he was able to take office as President of the United States. After her fourth Academy Award nomination for "I'll Cry Tomorrow" (1955), Susan began to wonder if she would ever take home the coveted gold statue. She didn't have much longer to wait, though. In 1958 she gave the performance of her lifetime as real-life California killer Barbara Graham in "I Want to Live!" (1958), who was convicted of murder and sentenced to death in the gas chamber. Susan was absolutely riveting in her portrayal of the doomed woman. Many film buffs consider it to be one of the finest performances of all time, and this time she was not only nominated for Best Actress, but won. After that role she appeared in about one movie a year. In 1972 she made her last theatrical film, "The Revengers" (1972). A two-pack a day smoker with a taste for drink, Susan was diagnosed with brain cancer in March of 1972. On 14 March 1975, after a three year struggle against the disease, Susan died at her Hollywood home. She was 57. Susan Hayward was laid to rest in a grave adjacent that of her husband Eaton Chalkley in the peace of Carrollton, Georgia where they had spent several happy years together in life.
Susan%20Hayward6.jpg Susan Hayward
TRIVIA:
Measurements: 36 1/2-26-35 1/2
Height 5' 3 1/2" (1.61 m)
Spouse:
Floyd Eaton Chalkley (8 February 1957 - 9 January 1966) (his death)
Jess Barker (24 July 1944 - 18 August 1954) (divorced) 2 children
Trade Mark: Red hair
Her first marriage to actor Jess Barker was a stormy one and ended with a bitter custody battle of her twin sons and a suicide attempt by Susan. Her second to rancher Eaton Chalkley was a long and happy one until he died suddenly of hepatitis nine years later. She left Hollywood for five years in deep mourning, returning in 1971.
Was diagnosed with brain cancer, allegedly the result of being exposed to dangerous radioactive toxins on location in Utah while making "The Conqueror" (1956). All the leads John Wayne, Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt, Hayward and the director Dick Powell died of cancer. The case is still a scandal.
TexacoAd-Jan1945.jpg Texaco Ad - January 1945

Two things jump out at me from today's post.

1/ The clear and very true message from the American Locomotive advert. No PC there. Now the media is afraid to reprint a cartoon from a French paper or say anything that "might" offend "anybody"

2/The Texaco advert. There was a time when a man could work a job in the service industry own a home and support his family. Now the service industry pays nothing and most jobs require the man and woman to work full time to even make ends meet.

Those American Locomotive ads are legendary...

The service industry is subject to supply and demand and the march of technology like everything else.

There's still plenty of money to made as a lawyer or drug dealer.

I see the next service ripe for exploitation is tattoo removal. so I'm dusting off my blowlamp. :)

When I was a child, my mother's hopes and dreams were that I become a lawyer. Sadly, I had no such interest and preferred the medical arts. Unfortunately, she was right, I would have had a much nicer lifestyle as a lawyer.

Drug dealers do make lots and lots of money, but tend to have lives cut very short and in extremely violent manners. No thanks!

Tattoo removal? Yes, I agree, that will soon be a huge industry.