COMBATSIM Forum
tirta

TAW campaign vs. EF2000 ?

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine says that ef2000 campaign is better compared to TAW.
Is this correct?

AFAIK TAW is the latter product of these two,
so I think it should be better.

Why some people thinks that ef2000 campaign is better?
Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion.. ;)

But I think TAW had the more Dynamic campaign system.. with its 5 Ring Process but the EF2000 Campaign was cool too.. Both have there pluses and minuses..

Hi Tirta,

I like them both personally. TAW is the latter of the two. The Five Rings concept is the heart of TAWs campaign engine and it, IMHO, incorporates a lot of the ways that air wars are fought today. The environment is MUCH more deadly than EF2000. My only complaint is the continuous respawning of enemy aircraft and the lack of a dynamic ground war. This has been addressed in other posts but I really appreciate all that has been done by the team on keeping this sim very relevant. As for EF2000 I go back to this one quite often. With things going the way that they have been going over there in recent months and Russia aggressively probing NATO defenses again has made this one for me relevant again. I also like the way that the campaigns are handled and managed. Using the old ReVive tool also enhances it for me. I'm sure others have their own views as well. Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.

WARGEN 2 would have been better had DID been allowed by Infogrames to properly finish it. Unfortunately, it was released in a stable but incomplete state with no ground war or proper aircraft attrition (the attrition is worked-around with destruction of airbases). Additionally, the default campaigns that shipped with TAW weren't properly playtested enough to be balanced, so that the campaigns can be difficult to win even if you complete all of your tasking. Most campaigns require "extra-curricular activities" to properly achieve the desired destruction levels in the alloted timeframe.

Even though EF2000 does its calculations in 8 hour blocks rather than real time, the ground war is at least abstracted between those 8 hour blocks with airbase takeovers based on the current situation. Additionally, if you do your job (and just your job), you can still win the campaign, though it may take longer.

thanks for all the replies, guys.

@Home Fries you said "default campaign",

is the campaign more balanced now in 2.30?

is it correct to say that ef2000 campaign have better ground warfare?

@fordac117

sorry if this is a noob question,

I am not familiar with old ReVive tool,

what does it do?

@Home Fries you said "default campaign",

is the campaign more balanced now in 2.30?

No, I didn't rebalance the original campaigns; the reference was to the first 10 campaigns, as opposed to the ones I created that are intended to be flown as tasked. I offered to rebalance the original 10 if people would be willing to test, and I never got any takers. If you're interested, though, PM me and I'll instruct you on how to do it without modifying your regular TAW install (I coded a nice little hook in the launcher for the possibility of modified campaigns).

is it correct to say that ef2000 campaign have better ground warfare?

It's correct to say that EF2000's ground campaign is abstracted, whereas TAW's ground campaign is not implemented. You wont get Falcon 4.0 experiences of flying over battles in either DID sim.

It's really too bad; the hooks are in TAW for a ground battle, and you can see battles play out dynamically in some of the ADF canned missions.

I am not familiar with old ReVive tool,

what does it do?

It lets you change aircraft, so you can change all Su-27s to MiG-21s for an easier time (or MiG-29 to Su-35 for a real challenge), you can resurrect destroyed aircraft/dead pilots, and you can nuke bases. It's basically a very fun cheat tool. It's also included in Reloaded.

Hi Home Fries,

thanks for all the explanation.
I really appreciate it very much.

yes , I am interested on balancing the campaign.
I send you a pm.

how about the AI aircrafts who seem always miss their target
and continuous respawning of enemy aircraft in the campaign?
is this fixable?

LOL, Tirta. I responded to your PM by talking about the reason the campaigns are hard is because the AI can't hit their targets with dumb bombs, so the only way to fix that is to reduce the reliance on the AI to help you with the campaign. For respawning enemy aircraft, you want to reduce the effectiveness of the airbases. This can be done with by taking out hangars, or you can take out the entire base by bombing the control tower and shooting the windsock (no joke).

http://taw.wikia.com/wiki/How_To:_A_Collection_of_Undocumented_Features_and_TAW_Idiosyncrasies#Reducing_Airfields_and_Towns_in_Dynamic_Campaign_Mode