COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cobraj

pleasant surprise while reading!

I just downloaded a kindle book "Hell Angels" the true story of the 303 bomb group, by Jay A Stout. It is a very good read for anyone into the bomber campaign over Germany from beginning to end. He covers stories from every aspect from pilots, gunners, file clerks, mechanics and everything that can go wrong on a mission. That's the best part. I'm reading the part of the book that mention the problems with parachutes and that the crew received really no training how to use them as well as they were packed a lot the time by people really not very experienced. I am reading and they mention an incident about a b-17 named "paper Dollie" that had run out of fuel returning to base. The pilot ordered everyone to bail out everyone bailed out, but the tail gunner must have deployed his chute too soon, for it got caught on the tail and he rode the plane all the way down to his death. The pilot Cecil Miller, pulled his rip cord but the chute failed to deploy... The navigator, Saul Cooper broke his ankle upon landing. Saul Cooper was a dentist in Brookline my wife used to dental assist for! I just saw he is still alive and at this time trying to reach out to his Daughter who I know to hopefully have a chat with him.. way cool! By the way, if you google paper dollie, they have a picture of it crashed in a field. the auto pilot must have been on, because it set down real nice! I was thinking the pilot should have stayed with the plane! If you google saul a cooper, they have picture of him and his crew in front of the b-17 "the floose".

He was one brave Dentist like you Stans! I never knew he had been a navigator on a b-17, I do remember seeing his framed army air corp honorable discharge he had hanging beside his diploma in his office. I wish I had known, I would have picked his brain and talked his ear off about his exploits.. I think he did mention he was shot down again over France and was rescued by the underground and led to Patton's third army. I bought the hard cover of the book and I am calling his Daughter to see if he is still alive and I want to give it to him. So I'm hoping he is still around!

? Great story, beats the hell out of the weather forecast for Louisiana!!! ☺️