Campaign only working in War Room?

Nightblade

Hello people,

I am playing this old classic again thanks to your work :)

But I noticed that when I was constantly in the cockpit, the skies were almost completly empty after 1-2 missons. That is leading to some very boring missions because I just fly to my target, drop the load and fly home again without anything spectacular happening.

After I wasted an hour in the War Room the skies were slowly filling up again.

So I conclude from this, that the Campaign Engine is somehow flawed and is not working properly when flying.

I remember from playing the original, that there was very high activity all the time, but I can decieve myself too, because it was years ago.

Any ideas how to get the action back in TAW ?

Best regards

Hi, Which Campaign are you playing.. I have played all 10 and some are less filled then others.. I am not sure why you are worried about nothing being there I would take that as a blessing and just carry on vs the wave of Migs it could be sending your way ;)

But seriously it just may be the campaign you are playing.. let me know which one it is I will run the same one and see..

Hello Neph ....... yes I'm still alive and kicking. :icon_rock: Thank God some decent smilies here.

Nightblade? You running TAW2.30? Try one of Home Fries 3 new Campaigns and strap yourself in mate . Be patient ....... :coffeetime: ........ :wtf: ........ :grrr: ....... here they come!!!! ..... :whoa: :whoa: :whoa::sofa1:

At the moment I am playing the campaign "Thin Line", and it is looking like this:

http://imgur.com/OtvulU8

Before that I completed the campaigns "Strike Force" and "Flame Out", and both of them looked not better. Strike Force was probably the worst, as I dont remember I met a single enemy fighter after a few hours.

Well I am worried about it, because it is boring. I want the game to give me something to do :P

Yes, I am playing 2.30. Did it change anything in the campaign engine?

At the moment I am playing the campaign "Thin Line", and it is looking like this:

http://imgur.com/OtvulU8

Before that I completed the campaigns "Strike Force" and "Flame Out", and both of them looked not better. Strike Force was probably the worst, as I dont remember I met a single enemy fighter after a few hours.

Well I am worried about it, because it is boring. I want the game to give me something to do :P

Yes, I am playing 2.30. Did it change anything in the campaign engine?

Strange ...... this is what I got after a couple of hours when using the SKIP button ....

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Wombat1940/media/taw_zpsgznkr0vf.jpg.html

Nightblade, it might just be the proverbial calm before the storm. You can attrite the enemy fighters for a time, but they tend to replenish within 24 hours. If you've been flying crazy CAP missions or jumping into F-22s during AWACS missions and getting a lot of kills, this can happen. Just enjoy the break and use this opportunity to do strike missions.

FWIW, we didn't change the default campaigns. The only thing I did was add 3 new campaigns (to which Wombat alluded). However, any add-on campaign requires a level 5 pilot due to the graduating difficulty level (even though my campaigns are more manageable than the default TAW campaigns).

Take this time to perform Anti-Air Missions by attacking the air fields and sam sites, followed by Infrastructure targets. Air to Air is fun but to win a campaign you have to reduce the enemy's ability or resolve to fight.

@Wombat

Yes, that is how i remember the game being. But when I press SKIP then the skies are slowly filling again but not when I am flying.

This leads to my suspicion that the Campaign Engine is not working when flying. How are your campaigns going? Are they an onslaught like on your screenshot? :)

@Home Fries

Well, but I didnt got a lot of kills. All I did were some ordinary strike missions. I am going to reinstall the game and see if this persist.

• 6 months later...

Hello again.

I want to let you know, that i THINK i managed to fix it! When i disable DEP and run die .exe as administrator the campaign seems to be working as intended again.

I just finished the Campaign "Urgent Shield" , which is a very small and easy campaign, and the skies were never as empty as in the screenshot posted. I frequently hear allies saying "Taxiing to Runway" and "Airborne" when flying. The Sortie Graph is still going down but not to zero after a few hours.

Thanks, Nightblade.

Please give me system specs (esp. RAM) and also let me know the following:

• Which operating system are you using?
  • Which EXE do you run as administrator?  Launcher, _f22.exe, or both?
  • Do you run _f22.exe from the launcher, or do you run _f22.exe straight from desktop?

Thanks.  As soon as you reply I can get this into the known issues section of the new manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I7-2600k

Radeon HD7870

16GB RAM

Windows 7 x64

I run the _f22.exe as administrator from the desktop.

But it looks like i spoke too soon. The next Campaign (Stranglehold) broke again after a few hours. All i did was messing around with the glide wrappers. Tough i have to admit, that i still dont really know how the campaign works. I still dont know what supply is doing for example. So far I have found these indicators that something is not working right :

- Noone is taking off, while i am flying (No "Taxi to runway" or "Airborne" chatter) and considerable thinnging of traffic on the map after the mission.

- No enemy scable flights in airfield denial missions.

- Multiple mission launches in Event Log seconds after I landed. No single mission launch in the minutes before.

I restart the campaign and see if it works out differently this time....

Earnest Reprisal and Stranglehold are campaigns that I made but didn't completely test.  They've been out there in open beta for years, and as far as I know you're probably the third person to try them.

That said, they're probably not the best baselines for testing the campaign engine.  Try one of the "top ten" campaigns for that.

Interestingly enough,  run Win7 x64 and I run TAW 2.30 beta 5 from the launcher without using Admin mode, and it works fine.