Filtering frequencies

Koranis

I can't count how many times I was waiting on my landing ramp waiting for a "taxi-to-runway" order from the airfield.. an order that the control tower wasn't able to send me because their operators were waiting in queue behind the all-mighty MAGIC "Skip it". Yeah, I could fix that in the CFG file, and skip right into the action or put other flights already in flight... but that's not the point, I want to play the game it was intended.

But the way it was intended it presents a couple of issues that are really an obstacle. Like the free-for-all frequencies, for instance. I know it's ancient news, been there, done that, but I just need to vent again.

The manual states that in order to hear from the control tower I have to be in Freq 1 mode. But while in 2,3 or 4 I can still hear other pilots receiving their "taxi-to-runway" instructions. So it's nonsense. What is worse, Freqs 1 and 4 should be devoid of AWACS chatter. First, you can't communicate with AWACS while in 1 or 4, second the game itself tells you it should be so (refueller saying to push Victor 2-3 once you're done, for instance), third I'm sure I've read it in the manual somewhere...

In the middle of the campaign it's the damn AWACS that keeps you on the ground. So a Freq 1 channel with no AWACS would be a game changer. I don't mind waiting for all the flights to take off and then follow them. But I do mind seeing those flights ON HOLD while AWACS fills the freaking channel with "Skip it" instructions. Is there any way to filter the frequencies and block AWACS from invading all of them? ANYTHING?

Aaaaand, just one more question: is there any real gameplay difference between Freq 2 or 3? Apart from more options offered by Freq 2, I mean.

Keeping in mind that TAW was a rushed release pushed by Atari (it was originally supposed to be a campaign add-on for ADF), I'm guessing that many of the shortcuts were put in the CFG specifically as workarounds to buggy features that made release. To that end, starting on the runway in the campaign is "how the developers intended it". There's no point in enduring the pain over an incomplete/buggy feature; tilting at windmills is not good use of one's recreational time.

As far as gameplay between 2 and 3, I don't believe there is any real difference. I see 2 and 3 as "tactical" frequencies and 1 and 4 as "support".

Maybe, but the original version I bought back in the '90 had all the taxing procedures enabled, so I guess the game was shipped in that state. Which makes me think that the "workarounds" are just that, not intended behaviour. To bad the intended behaviour is buggy though so I guess this answers my question: the comms are not going to improve the gameplay anytime soon.

.......... There's no point in enduring the pain over an incomplete/buggy feature .......

I think what HF says above is the key. There's been many other poor features that HF has been able to "fix", we just have to overlook those remaining. Sometimes I have to ignore the Tower and AWACS and take the initiative myself if playing in SP. In MP? I just wait for HF, Neph, my Lead ...... to tell me what to do. ;)

I'm not sure it's so much deterioration as it is that the existing engine needed aircraft starting at specific intervals to work right, and that could be tweaked in the manually built missions of ADF. Even then, we've noticed that sometimes ADF missions get hung up on the ground in multiplayer. I think that the ground routine wasn't robust enough to handle a dynamically generated sequence, and needed a few more error traps to make it work.

Thanks Neph.

Doesn't <SHIFT> <S> step (move) you to the runway in SP? Doesn't pay to step into the air though! Can't think how many mid-air collisions I've had .......Ha!

Thanks Neph.

Doesn't <SHIFT> <S> step (move) you to the runway in SP? Doesn't pay to step into the air though! Can't think how many mid-air collisions I've had .......Ha!

Yeah, sometimes SHIFT+S solves the problem and puts you on the runway, but if you have a lot of flights ahead of you it puts you back to your parking pad and moves forward time by 1 hour, and your other flights are long gone.

Ye .....

Yeah, sometimes SHIFT+S solves the problem and puts you on the runway, but if you have a lot of flights ahead of you it puts you back to your parking pad and moves forward time by 1 hour, and your other flights are long gone.

Ye ..... forgot that .... :(