Configuring PPJoy for use with F22 TAW 2.30

AdmiralKew

Hi, it's a pleasure to see F22: TAW available for free, as it brings back a lot of nostalgia as well as allowing a broke flight sim fan to play once again without shelling out money I can't afford to spend on anything but basics. Going by this, I'm looking into using PPJoy to emulate a joystick using my mouse. I've got everything set up correctly and the Windows 8.1 input testing tool registers mouse movement as joystick X/Y axis movement and the mouse buttons as button 1-2-3. However, switching back to TAW leaves me at a dead end as the program does not register these.

Is any help on this matter forthcoming?

If I'm correct in my assumption, you're using the mouse as a mouse until you enter the game, then you alt-tab to enable PPJoy as your controller. This is problematic because TAW parses windows controllers on startup and recognizes the first one, or assumes keyboard if it doesn't find one. You can also select Keyboard/Joystick on the Options menu, but this requires a mouse and most likely the Joystick option would be greyed out.

If you're going to control TAW with a mouse, you need to enable the mouse as PPJoy before entering the game, then navigate all menus using keyboard commands. I'm not sure if this is even possible. Then the problem is manipulating MFDs in-game (which requires the mouse). TBH, you would probably be better flying with the keyboard, as the flight model is pretty much on rails (simulating heavily assisted fly-by-wire) and you can fly comfortably that way.

I've also tried enabling the mouse to joystick interface before starting TAW, and there is still no joy to be had with the program as TAW refuses to interpret the mouse movements. I have a feeling that this is because of the controller mappings. I have mine set as such: http://puu.sh/hOlRj/1657030323.png

I will also look into finding a program to selectively enable/disable the virtual joystick on command.

Edit:

No fly apparently. The programs I've found all require coding experience, and I have zero of that. If all else fails, I could wait a week or two and buy myself a really cheap gamepad.