COMBATSIM Forum

Is it my imagination . . . .

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dream on, Joker! The day you retire you will, trust me, become the cheapest handyman and carpenter that your wife has ever found! It's a given that the word "RETIRE" becomes synonymous with "WORK HARD

Don't all laugh, but I've recently become hooked on WoT (World of Tanks) which is quite good fun. It has a fairly easy learning curve and just the thing to relax you after a hard day trying to improve

Always nice to see Jerry hit the silk!

Sadly, I'm shackled to a Mac Mini, at present. A Mac that runs WT in the lowest graphical settings, mind you (which looks far better than IL2 did a dozen years ago).

Let me get some more of this Real LifeTM stuff out of the way, and I'll see about a PC gaming rig. Been missing GPL and iRacing, too.

Just dawned on me that I have no clue about PC hardware, these days. I guess that speaks to my accelerating senescense -- they gotta make these sims and hardware configurations easy for me. I don't have the patience for fiddling, anymore.

Just thinking about the gymnastics we used to go through with DOS machines and W95 makes my head spin. Did I really ever have the time for all that nonsense ... ? :)

Don't all laugh, but I've recently become hooked on WoT (World of Tanks) which is quite good fun. It has a fairly easy learning curve and just the thing to relax you after a hard day trying to improve the profit picture of your Company! I initially scoffed at it, thinking it a haven for repressed teens and the like but was not only impressed with the graphics, (I have a medium range Win7 64bit) but that the starter level battles only last about twenty minutes and it's interesting how fast you pick up Tanker Tricks, like lurking in doorways, etc. My kill rate is abysmal right now, but hopefully it'll improve. Take a quick shufti at some of the YouTube videos and WoT Forum stuff. It might be good for you to relax after trying to save England and the Free World in CoD!

(BTW, I downloaded mine from the WoT website and it was an easy load for my diminished faculties!)

• Like 1

Dude, are there dynamic campaigns? I was always into that with the other flight sims..

There's a dynamic campaign addon called IL2DCE that you can download here.

Not sure how well it plays with Team Fusion mod, tho.

Here's a bit more info about the campaign from someone who used it over at the SAS forum.

Interesting, but it does not sound like the offline campaign is actually a dynamic, EAW style campaign. That is what made EAW so enjoyable, winning or losing a campaign based on your skills and decisions.

I have CoD on my PC, but it's inside Steam. When I try to bring it up after logging into Steam, the Steam app tries to download the game. I don't want to do that again because I have the TF mods installed.

Any idea what file I need to edit to run CoD from my own files? I used to have such a shortcut, but I must have deleted it during a fit of housecleaning.

OG

OG, I'm not sure this is right, but when you bring up the Steam list of games you have, right click on "IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover" and check the list that comes up. It has a Shortcut for the game that you can use to place it on the Desktop, and Local Content that you can investigate. I have CoD from Steam with TF Mods and no problems to d/l and play the game. Also check out in your "Documents" list on your PC the folder "1C SoftClub" folder. Hope this helps.

Learned that you can activate the Retail version using its CD key. I had the retail version, not installed ever. When logged into Steam, go to the top bar, click on on the small word "Games" (above Store and Library). In the drop down menu click on "Activate a Product on Steam...". On the pop up that appears, click on the "next" button on the bottom. After That click on the "I agree" button. Then enter in your code into the text box that appears.

Steam installed the game on my PC. I never had to put the CD into the drive.

Now I have to get my joystick to work. It is an old Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D. It has the old serial port mobo connector, with a USB adapter. The last time I think I used it I had Windows XP. Now have Windows 7 Pro. Windows recognizes it and says it loaded a driver for it. However it is not showing up in the taskbar nor in the Device Manager. Plugging into a front USB connector on my case. Going to try plugging it into one of the mobo USB ports and see if that makes a difference.

UPDATE: Logitech doesn't support the joystick anymore. No Win 7 64 bit drivers. Tried older version of their Gaming software, as found on a Logitech forum thread. It didn't recognize the joystick either.

I hate it when my stick won't work. :(

Any suggestions on a economically priced joystick? I do not use rudder pedals. Logitech was a twisty stick with throttle built on it.

Don,

I recently picked up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro at Office Max on sale for $16. I also have a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X -- which has been packed and sent to Montana. That's why I needed another stick to feed my craving for online action. :\

I think the Thrustmaster is the better stick, though they're both programmable and seem to work pretty well.

It's time for IL-2 CoD or something like it. WT has changed to the point where game play is ridiculous. The so-called Realistic Battles have apparently been built with mouse controls being preferred. Stick users don't get the same performance out of their planes. I finally got tired of having less capable planes easily out-turn me. I also got sick of fighters equipped with 37mm cannon taking a wing off my plane with a single hit. Could happen and did happen in reality, but not every damn time. The game has no realism when it comes to weapons. They all work, all the time, save for an occasional jammed gun, which is also portrayed unrealistically. Most early fighters had manual cable controls to cycle weapons, which would often clear a jam.

If the WT version of "Realistic" were anywhere close to historical fact, every airplane in the world would have been shot down by eary 1942. :)

Anyway, I canceled my accounts at WT and am installing IL-2 CoD. Apparently what I had on my PC were files related to the game but not the game itself.

OG

Thanks for the tip on the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Jim. Was looking at the Mad Catz/Saitek F.L.Y. 5 Flight Stick, but that runs around $60. Ouch. I'll see if I can luck out and find the Logitech for what you stole...er paid for it. :D

Doesn't bother me. The wife accuses me of being lifeless and lazy all the time. :D

Aha! The truth comes out. Donnie is a ZOMBIE.

He even admits to lifelessness.

His wife thinks he's lazy, but it's just that ZOMBIES DON'T MOVE VERY FAST.

Donnie a zombie. No surprise, really.

Hmm. But what about his fixation on boobs? Maybe that's just a cover to explain his red, staring eyes and slackjawed expression.

Maybe he's not really, really dead, but only mostly dead?

OG

Aha! The truth comes out. Donnie is a ZOMBIE.

He even admits to lifelessness.

His wife thinks he's lazy, but it's just that ZOMBIES DON'T MOVE VERY FAST.

Donnie a zombie. No surprise, really.

Hmm. But what about his fixation on boobs? Maybe that's just a cover to explain his red, staring eyes and slackjawed expression.

Maybe he's not really, really dead, but only mostly dead?

OG

Yep. The transition to total Zombie is complete...

Donnie-2013-2015-2_zpstaw7bfxv.jpg

zombies_zpslhpuaanq.jpg