Windows 10 ??

Old Guy

I've been reading up on it and will take their free upgrade. Since you have 8.1Pro you'll get 10 Pro.

When you sign up for the upgrade Microsoft downloads 10 in the background so that it will activate and install at the end of July on release day.

Release is July 29th.

Here is the official line: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade within a year of its release.

Furthermore Microsoft MSFT -1.05% states “once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge.”

Other reasons to wait and see, or ignore...

'Free' Windows 10 Has High Cost To Windows 7 And Windows 8 Users

Hopefully the background download will allow me to transfer it to a DVD. I have no desire to "upgrade" an existing system, but instead prefer to rebuild a partition from the ground up for a cleaner result. That, and I would like to test it on a separate partition first; after the Windows 8 installer debacle (crashes on a system with more than 1 hard drive) I want to make sure I don't need to unplug 90% of my system to get the new operating system to load.

Most people would think "they've probably fixed that hard drive thing" but a year later when they released 8.1 that patch still had the same bug, and there was no way to know that detection of multiple drives was the issue. Just points to very bad Quality Assurance, and that scares me more than anything.

Here ya go Home Fries...

Q. Will Microsoft release the ISO files of the new operating system?
A. It's very likely that Microsoft will make available the ISO files to upgrade to Windows 10. However, the company hasn't shared clear details, but you can expect to see the files.

Q. Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 with the free upgrade?
A. Yes, but the company says that you'll have to upgrade your current version first, and then you're free to do a clean install of the operating system.
I wonder how many programs already installed on my PC will become farked by the upgrade? Like...you know...it has never happened before. Right? :D

Thanks, Donnie. I was planning on doing a full backup of my C partition prior to the upgrade anyway, so I'll be able to revert to 7 if 10 doesn't play well with others. And if it lets me do a full partition after the first activation, then I can always just replace my separate Windows 8 partition with 10, and keep 7 on the side for backward compatibility.

I know M$ is currently offering Windows 10 to users of Windows 7 and 8 as a free upgrade, but M$ has indicated that the future of Windows will be a service. One which they will continue to update and upgrade, but at what point does it become a pay to play service?

You're welcome Home Fries. I'll go with a dual boot after a mirror image backup of Win 7 Pro.

Microshaft isn't about to quit making money. The term free is a four letter word. Win 10 will be a subscription service sooner than later. They are playing the drug dealer game now. We will give you a little taste for free. Get you hooked (they hope) then start charging for every upgrade that they release down the (crack) pipe.

I will say, IF it really is a great op system, and if it is very secure, and if the IE replacement is fast and secure too, then I would have no issues with spending some $$ as time goes on. However, I have great concerns not only due to their promises from previous releases (Win 2000, Vista & Win8) but trying to make one system work perfectly for PC, tablet, phones etc.

• 1 month later...

For testing purposes, I dragged out my old PC and installed the Windows 10 upgrade. Went very smoothly and without a hiccup. All my files, documents and programs were there. I played around with it for awhile, then I downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft, used it to make a bootable USB thumb drive, and then did a clean install of Win 10. You cannot do this unless you update your original Win 7 or Win 8 first, as it will register your system and hardware. You don't get a registration key anymore. Then boot from your created USB thumb drive, and follow the directions.

I was impressed after the clean install that it even loaded the AMD Catalyst video drivers on its own. I went into Device Manager and checked other hardware for drivers and they were the latest ones from the manufacturer, not generic Windows drivers.

Win 10 is not bad so far. It was noticeably faster after just the upgrade. Even faster with the clean install. The Microsoft Edge browser (it replaced Internet Explorer) is fast, easy to use so far. It blows Firefox out of the water in loading times. However, it does not support any 3rd party extensions yet. As an example I use Last Pass Password Manager. There are extensions for IE, Chrome and Firefox. Not one for Edge. If Microsoft wants people to use Edge, they better get on the stick when it comes to those extensions.

Getting around within Windows 10 is a hell of a lot easier than Win 8 was. I hate Win 8. Win 10 is the best of Win 7, and most of the garbage taken out of Win 8.

So I will keep playing with it, see how it does loading some of my older programs like Microsoft Office 7, which it is supposed to still support.

Well at minimum it was 20GB. But that is because Win 10 saves the files from your previous installation. Puts them into a folder, so within 30 days of upgrading to Win 10, and you don't like it, you can revert back to your previous Windows version. If you decide to keep Win 10, use the Disk Cleanup Utility and select Previous Windows Installation(s) to remove the saved old version.

A clean install of Win 10 is smaller than Win 7 or 8.1. Up to 6 GB smaller.

Beware if you use an Nvidia graphics card. Numerous reports of Windows 10 automatic updates screwing up Nvidia drivers. MS is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix, Nvidia has reportedly fixed the problem with the release of their 353.63 driver.

Well at minimum it was 20GB. But that is because Win 10 saves the files from your previous installation. Puts them into a folder, so within 30 days of upgrading to Win 10, and you don't like it, you can revert back to your previous Windows version. If you decide to keep Win 10, use the Disk Cleanup Utility and select Previous Windows Installation(s) to remove the saved old version.

A clean install of Win 10 is smaller than Win 7 or 8.1. Up to 6 GB smaller.

Thanks!

The thing that concerns me now is the privacy stuff. Can you upgrade to win10 without using a MS account?