Looking for radar display info: Project for battleship New Jersey museum ship

Harrzack

Greetings to all!

As a volunteer in the Radio group at the battleship New Jersey museum ship, I've taken on the task of creating a radar simulation (VERY simplistic). I'm planning to use Processing and possibly and Arduino to control some steppers and servo motors.

In CIC there is a Target Designation System radar unit - about the size of a small washing machine. It has a radar screen on top (horizontally positioned), and 4 joy sticks - one in each corner. What little I know about the system is:

When in use (circa 1980 or before?) when a bogey appeared on the screen, the operators would use the joy sticks to align a cursor to it. A gun control system would 'follow' that cursor and bring guns around to bear on the target. Once the operator had alignment, he would press down on the joystick to let Fire Control the guns were aligned.

There are 4 servo motor displays for a mechanical output - for range and bearing - one for actual (the gun) and the designated which is the joystick response.

Once I get the joysticks working I will have the Arduino control steppers which will in turn operate some servos (old tech) to make the existing mechanical display appear to be working.

I'm looking examples of what the radar display looked like so I can recreate it with reasonable authenticity. We plan to place an LCD monitor in place of the radar CRT. This has been done on other displays on the ship, and works out quite well. This will be the first animated/simulation where the visitors can 'control' the display. Should be a hit with the kids! :)

=Alan R.

Awesome! Sounds like a great project.

I have no idea what was used on the New Jersey, but it sounds like you want to simulate the PPI rather than the radar it is attached to. It is possible the SPA-4 might have been used, described halfway down this link:

http://jproc.ca/sari/sarrad2.html

as it's compatible with the SPS-10 radar that was apparently used on the New Jersey.

...or maybe not, as this info is purely internet derived. :)

Thanks for all the kind words! There are about 10 or 15 people that are REALLY active in the Radio Club (http://www.nj2bb.org/) at the ship. The Chief Engineer, Dave Burgess and his wife Margaret have been coming to the ship every Saturday for FIFTEEN years - a two hour round trip drive! Quite a dedicated crew.

I'll be going over this Saturday and will get more details on the radar itself - maybe even grab a pix or two.

I can post notes on on-going progress if you think it would be of interest. What would be the 'proper' forum category for such details?

I can post notes on on-going progress if you think it would be of interest. What would be the 'proper' forum category for such details?

Here in The Ready Room is just fine Harrzack! I'm sure most of us would enjoy hearing about the progress of the project.