COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FsFOOT

EAW works on Linux

At SimHQ Mike announced that his Sandbaggers EAW Tally-Ho The Storage of thousands - indeed most - EAW Addons thousands is now offline / closed. Thankfully our neocities sister-site (lol) European Air War Help Site (EAWHS) fills in the gaps for information and some of the files.

Made EAW1.28eFullVersion link available recently. See EAWonLinux EAW Page

I recently tried EAW 1.60 on Linux, and it now seems that Wine is so good that I get exactly the same garbled screen problem that I get with Win7.

...and I don't think there is a good solution for that.

Your post never gave any specifics.

Sorry but generic complaints like that don't do anything to find a possible solution. In fact they just discourage others :/

You never specify what Linux, what your videocard is and what exact error.

Are you talking about a mainscreen garbled or just the single mission  target selection screen?

If its the mainscreen your problem is your videocard driver in the OS really is not working with the D3d window with certain sizes.

unless you are talking about EAW Demo, 1.1 or 1.2 which do not have various fixes and will not work anyway.

Some use a D3d windower which solves that. But I've never used one on Linux with Wine.

That also doesn't mean you will necessary get it in every WINE software version. Try another version and select DirectX 9 for the DX version.

Anyway I don't use 1.60 and I don't support it. However in theory is should work if 1.28e or similar versions do.

Standard 1.2 will not work.

The info I post [ur]https://eawonlinux.neocities.org/eawfromaliveusb.html[/url] has instructions and uses SparkyLinux, but of course there are now newer SparkyLinux and WINE versions.

I used Sparky Gameover since it already has WINE preinstalled. Whcih means you can use it immediately in the Live instance.

The Linux is/was Fedora. Fedora31 now, but probably Fedora30 last time I tried.

Hardware is an Intel NUC7i7BNH and here's what screenfetch says:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.5.17-200.fc31.x86_64
Shell: bash 5.0.11
Resolution: 2560x1600
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8
WM: Muffin
WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Aqua (Mint-Y-Dark)
GTK Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Aqua [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: Mint-Y-Aqua
Font: Noto Sans 9
CPU: Intel Core i7-7567U @ 4x 4GHz [53.5°C]
GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Iris Plus Graphics 650 (Kaby Lake GT3e)
RAM: 3752MiB / 15899MiB

It was various menu screens that were garbled, but the garbling was inconsistent. I saw similar with Win7.

Having said all that, I found the campaign system a bit broken so not that interested in playing the game anyway.