Senior moment...

cobraj

This happened last night while I was out shopping with the Mrs... I was out a bargain basement shopping outlet looking at some books, when I over heard a couple of elderly gentleman looking at a d-day book. I walked over and joking said pointing at the pictures of the young 101st soldiers on the cover " Any of you guys on the cover?".

The old timers laughed and said no. One of the gentleman said he hit the beach at d-day + 3. He said it was still a mess of equipment, bodies and mass confusion. He said he can still remember the terrible sights and smells to this day. The other gentleman was a tail gunner in a b-17. He said he couldn't believe all the shell craters he would see flying over the coast of France after that day. I told the guy my dad was a tail gunner as well, but only flew a few times in a b-17, but was sent to the pacific and ended the war flying in b29's. We had a great chat and I could have talked these guys ears off. But after about the 5th time of looking over at my wife rolling her eyes. I had to say so-long. One of the guys was kind of sad that the anniversary of d-day meant little these days and I let him know that at least with the people I talk to and hang with it hasn't. I shook their hands in thanks and watched these guys "fade away" into the store.

You are right Stans.. I happened upon an old veteren in Farmington, Maine sitting in the shade at a yard sale we stopped at. I was waiting for my wife and the old timer says "it's sure is hot today", I nodded it was and that I was ready to pass out! He said said the heat never bothered him and back during the war he would march and drill in the heat no problem. Turned out he had spent alot of time in the heat as a Sea-bee in the pacific! he had spent alot of time on Tarawa as well as Iwo! I chatted a bit with him till my wife came over and dragged me away. "what are you an old soldier magnet" she said. No I said just a person who still cares to take some time to talk to an old soldier and let him know there are still some people who care.