Need your guys help. Survey..

geg

Hi y'all :D

Doing a 'food poisoning' thing as apart of my work and i need to ask a few people. You don't actually need have have been food poisoned (and I'm not talking secret agent, slipping stuff into food to kill a supervillain stuff :P) so if you haven't make up some hypothetical answers, please :) double entries would be great too...

I need

Name:

How many times have you suffered food poisoning?

Where did you buy/eat the food? Home/Take away/Eat in @ Restaurant etc.

What food do you think caused the food poisoning? Seafood/Poultry/Beef/Other (specifiy)

What were the symptons you experienced? How long did they last?

What do you now do to prevent food poisoning?

Cheers :)

Name: Jon Troutman

Number of times suffered from food poisoning: At least 3

Where did I obtain the food: Taco bell once (take away) Kentucky Fried chicken once (take away) Some small restaurant in Texas (eat in).

What food do I consider to be the culprit: Chicken in all three instances

Symptoms: extreme abdominal pain diarrhea and nausea

Solution: Avoid chicken except when prepared by myself, my wife or someone I trust.

What food do you think caused the food poisoning? Seafood/Poultry/Beef/Other (specifiy)

1. Once

2. it was seafood

3. massive stomach cramps and vomiting .48 hrs

4. make sure everything i eat is fresh that day

Brian Sims

number of times: One that I am sure of the cause. Probably many more.

food purchased: Fast Food chain restaurant. Its initials are McDonalds.

cause: I suspect semi cooked or poorly handled eggs. It was a breakfast meal combo type of thing.

symptoms: A couple of horrible hours of nausea with a real good strong projectile vomit session and some heaves afterwards that left me exhausted but fixed almost instantly after getting it out. I had eaten orange juice too so with the eggs everything was orange. Fortunately I was outside at the time.

avoidance: I have never eaten that particular meal again and I avoid large amounts of orange colored food all at one time (sounds like a joke but it isn't!) I think that has to be a psychological remnant of the experience. I have returned to the restaurant chain for other items over the years as I consider this an individual mistake.

Doing a 'food poisoning' thing as apart of my work

I was thinking that alcohol poisoning might be more in your line. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've been sick, stomach cramps, nausea, vomitting, then almost instantly feeling a wee bit better. I don't remember the circumstances surrounding the incidences, but at least twice it involved shrimp. I don't eat shrimp anymore since it also gave me a horrendous headache.

food poisoning...

once, when I had my own apartment, I ate some chickenm that might have been sitting

out abit too long. Got a high fever and vomited/diareah for about 5 hours. lost about 10 pounds in 48 hours!

Name: Paddles

A few cases of 24-hour food poisoning, but when I was 17 I got Salmonella poisoning and nearly died. Spent 8 days in hospital in isolation, on painkillers, and IV fluids only. Took five days to diagnose and they did some tests on me I wouldn't wish on my enemies.

Chinese food restaurant.

What food do you think caused the food poisoning? Seafood/Poultry/Beef/Other (specifiy).

It was the Won Ton soup. I know this because my entire family went and we each had separate meals; except, I finished my brother's soup and he also got Salmonella but not as drasticly as I had it.

Woke up the first night with the worst case of the shivers. I couldn't stop shaking. My dad thought I had appendicitis and took me to the emergency at the hospital. They admitted me and I spent the next 8 days going through waves of pain as the Salmonella infection tore the insides of my intestines to bloody shreds. Sorry, it was very ugly and very painful.

Drink lots of vodka! Seriously, my wife and I love to cook fancy schmancy meals at home if possible, but I don't worry too much about getting poisoned at restaurants. It's something you really can't control unless you get an obviously rancid or undercooked meal. Throw caution to the wind and live your life is my advice. Oh, and wash your friggin' hands when you handle raw poultry and anything that comes in contact with it (cutting board, faucet taps, handle on the cupboard door you touched when you threw the wrapper in the garbage). Watch out for slimey alfalfa sprouts too, apparently they're a big cause of food poisioning (does anyone even eat those vile sprouts anymore?).

Name: Don Miller

How many times have you suffered food poisoning? Once

Where did you buy/eat the food? Home/Take away/Eat in @ Restaurant etc. At a steakhouse named Hoss's

What food do you think caused the food poisoning? Hardboiled egg from the salad bar

What were the symptons you experienced? How long did they last? Vomiting, chills, fever, diarrhea. Lasted about 12 hours.

What do you now do to prevent food poisoning? Never had a problem at home, because I really practice hand washing, washing veggies and fruits thoroughly. Never thaw meat outside the fridge. As for restaurants, you are at their mercy, but don't go to places with a history of problems that I am aware of.

Barry Tucker

at least a dozen times over the last 40 odd years

usually from fast food ( KFC, McDonalds etc) or semi fast food ( Ponda Rosa, Swiss Chalet, Denny's etc)

a couple of times a church suppers

restaurant episodes.... either chicken or pork

church suppers....bad salads & turkey

classic symptoms....the trots, vomitting, cramps, cold sweats.....usually last for 1/2 a day to a day

I really don't do anything to prevent it.... I just "take my chances"

As part of my job, I have to be certified to handle food product also. The first time I went through the program, I couldn't help wondering why we don't all suffer from food poisoning regularly. The potential is there. From the farm or slaughter house to your table, there are many places for contamination to occur. But, in most cases, it is simply food either being unrefrigerated for too long or undercooked that causes most people problems. Just remember, the next time the kid at the drive thru pisses you off, be careful cause he could kill you with that burger as easily as a gun... only it'll take longer. ;)

Rjel

Mick Heath, Veteran poisoned in action at...

KFC-one night after a gig in Bradford, Yorks. They swore it was chicken at the time!

Hop Kwen Chinese take-out Market Deeping..2 hrs later.

India Gate Curry 'ouse. Peterborough- Barely made it to the car!

Stavros' Kebab wagon also Peterborough..serves me soddin' right!

Hard Rock Cafe Amsterdam-that might have been alchohol (?) but we did consume copious quantities of spicy chicken wings and a number of us came down with the gallops.

Symptoms- General ball busting gut wrenches where my eyeballs tried to leave my head while clinging to the Royal Dalton that resulting in me swearing "never again"!! followed by a couple of days of water and dry crackers. Usually accompanied with schiess through zhe needle eye!

Prevention-got married and finally began eating and behaving sensibly (2 minutes silence) at the ripe age of 30!! I haven't had food poisoning in 12 years since so there's something for your study group! ;)

Geg, If I read any of this in a magazine I will deny all of it! :P

Cyclone

Wellington Gymkhana Club, Defence Services Staff College, Wellington (I)

Mayonnaise and Chicken Sandwiches

The Mayonnaise

Painful cramps, diarrhoea, nausea, almost everything like paddles. ended up in the hospital, along with every single officer on the lawns except dad (he had a milder attack). IV, liq diet, glucose soln for fluids etc

What do I do now? everything as usual. infact, i eat out more. nothing tastes better than dead, decaying poultry boiled over a broth of goo with pepper for taste.

Oh, and Mc Donalds. It was the raspberry.

Name: Bud via San Francisco

How many times have you suffered food poisoning? Twice

Where did you buy/eat the food? Home/Take away/Eat in @ Restaurant etc. KFC

What food do you think caused the food poisoning? Seafood/Poultry/Beef/Other (specifiy) Chicken

What were the symptons you experienced? How long did they last? Thought I was going to die....belly pain of the worst kind, projectile vomitting, chills and then the dry heeves. Lasted until I cleaned out my stomach and then I was week for about another day.

What do you now do to prevent food poisoning? Don't go near a KFC anymore.....

When I pass one and smell it, I get ill........must have been some BAD grease.

Name: John Wierzbicki

How many times have you suffered food poisoning? three times

Where did you buy/eat the food? Home/Take away/Eat in @ Restaurant etc. Pizza Hut, Local pizza shop (I forget the name), Local chippy/kebab house.

What were the symptons you experienced? How long did they last? Nausia, vomiting in the worst case, about 48 hours.

What do you now do to prevent food poisoning? Pizza Hut was a one-off, I still take the family there. The local pizza place has gone out of business, spoke to the guy in the kebab shop; we make sure my kebabs are well-cooked now.

Name: Aaron Watson

How many times have you suffered food poisoning? Once

Where did you buy/eat the food? Home/Take away/Eat in @ Restaurant etc. An amusement park in Utah called "Lagoon".

What were the symptons you experienced? How long did they last? Extreme nasuea when movement was involved, IE breathing, movement of pinkie. A good hurl after about 2 hours and I felt right as rain.

What do you now do to prevent food poisoning? Have not returned to funky food alley at Lagoon since. Or Lagoon at all, for that matter.

Name: Edwin Rommel (Field Marschall- Retired)

How many times have you suffered food poisoning? Numerous-- dependig if vhe vhere vhinnink or loozink...

Where did you buy/eat the food? Home/Take away/Eat in @ Restaurant etc. Moztly ex-Polish Kavalry or Ruzzian Farm Horzez.... Take avay ich zhupoze..

What were the symptons you experienced? How long did they last? Extreme nasuea when movement was involved, IE breathing, movement of pinkie. Moztly bescheisde pantz unt zhum barfink

What do you now do to prevent food poisoning? Keep on vhinnink...

:lol:

Name: Ronin

Times of poison: one

Food places: Ronin father is the masterful chef. Uses boy Ronin for tests safety of puffer fish eating readiness. Sometimes not food worthy resulting. <_<

Symptoms: Very pain, then not a memory. sleep for 6 day. Awake occupy shallow hole border the bamboo forest. Climb out from dirt. Family not glad to see dirt cover Ronin. :rolleyes:

In future no longer eats the puffer fish safety experiment.