US Grand Prix-shame

Shepherd

I can’t believe they have done what they have done. I do not think that the chicane should have been put in. Many of these same teams are angry at Ferrari for not signing the testing ban, and argue that they have an unfair advantage. These same teams now ask the entire sport to change in order for them to do what they feel is best for them. They had many choices on how to set about the race, but chose exclusion. Michelin had many months to build tires that would last for this race. This is insane!

The French tire company should be ashamed of itself as well as each and every team that drives on their tires. As hard as F-1 has worked to get attention and acceptance in this country, to walk out on 150,000 fans is insane.

Hey the high light could mean Minardi might get a podium. Maybe even a win.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/17702/

I think there will be a fair few who will blame Ferrari for this but then they are the same people who would blame Ferrari if the sun did'nt rise in the morning. Paul Stoddard the team principal at Minardi seemed to insinuate he only ran because Jordan backed out of an agreement that would have seen the other teams race but that then seemed to be contradicted by other rumours.

One thing for sure is the blame has to lay on Michelin's shoulders. As one commentator here in the UK remarked that Bridgestone had not suffered because their approach to design and production is a more cautious one and that Michelin are more prepared to take a few gambles to gain performance. Whatever the differences though Michelin should have been able to produce a tire to let the teams race. If the rumours are true that the FIA want a one tire manufacturer format from 2008 then I think this does not bode well for Michelin.

I'm a Ferrari fan but take no delight in the 'victory' today.

I too am a Ferrari fan and see this as nothing more than a expensive test.

If anyone blames Ferrari they are idiots. It is the tire companies fault. If they blame the FIA they are idiots. Everyone did the work needed for this except Michelien. They should take the responsibility for this mess.

I think every team and driver should have 10 points tkane from them. F-1 in America may not be done, but it sure did take a huge step toward the door with this stunt.

So let me see if I got this straight. Michelin wants to slow the cars before they go into a turn because Michelin didn't make tires that can handle the course, but Bridgestone tires can make a tire that is safe? So instead of making a tire that is safe, Michelin did the French thing and whined while surrendering? Sounds like a Michelin problem to me and it is egg upon their faces.

Michelin were caught with their pants down. I was a little annoyed by the reaction of some knuckleheads in the crowd who threw bottles of water and cans of beer onto the track, one can narrowly missing Barrichello as he followed Schumacher into turn 1. It was not the fault of these drivers or the marshalls that the race was ruined but the action by those few knuckleheads could have risked the lives of the drivers and the marshalls who had to retrieve the object thrown.

I don't think it would be fair to take points off the teams or drivers (as much as that would be nice to shake up the championship) as it was not their fault either, the blame has to lay squarely on Michelin's shoulders who took the risks with their tyre design's and found them to be not capable of taking the rigors of Indy. That being said the teams could have still put on a race for the fans had they not been so greedy and wanted to penalise every team just because their tyre manufacturer screwed the pooch. Can you imagine Williams, Mclaren or Renault not racing if Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi said they had a problem? no chance so lets not have any whining from them, they chose their supplier no-one else. They could have made a deal to have the chicane installed so they could race but give up any points they scored. That would have kept Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi happy and the race would have gone ahead and given the crowd a race. The Michelin teams could have then looked upon the race as an extra test session that saw no penalty from the FIA and maybe as a sweetener the FIA would have allowed them to put a new engine in for the next race, ignoring the usual two race rule. This seemed a logical solution yet for the greed of a few team principals (something they insinuated others were acting on) we could have watched a proper race.

I hope the image of F1 is not too tarnished in the US, I have enjoyed previous GP's at Indy but figure you guys are already well catered for by IRL and Nascar so it would not be much of a loss. As for the French, well they get the finger from the UK anyway at the moment for their grubby money grabbing of European funds but that's a little too political for these forums :D

I love F-1. I see the loss of this race and any in the years to come as a blow to the sport and to me intrest in it. There had been talk of a second US date, I think that will not happen now.

I see where the 150,000 fans lost the most. No refund either by the way.

I agree they should have raced, racing is danger.

I do say slap them silly with a penalty. BAR was excluded for a infraction of the rules, so why not do the same now. Just whack them all 10 points driver and builder and go with it. It will teach them to not think they are greater than the sport.

But to hit them with a penalty I think they'd have to break race rules, they did'nt here they just refused to race on safety grounds so it's not like they ran light car's like BAR did. I suppose if Bernie did want to weild the whip and show em who's boss he could fine them for bringing the sport into disrepute (not that Bernie has'nt had a go at doing that himself through the years) but it would have to be a pretty simpathetic judge to Bernie as the teams would argue they withdrew on safety grounds.

I don't think they should have raced without the chicane as there was a real danger drivers could have been killed, motorsport is dangerous enough without taking silly risks. I do think they could have made a deal similar to what I posted above to make everyone happy, OK so it would'nt be perfect for them but then hey it's their tyre manufacturer who messed up.

There was talk of George suing Bernie, perhaps the race fans will get a refund from that?

Felt sorry for the guy, he was obviously delighted at getting there and ran over to his mechanics after he parked up and was the most animated driver on the podium, Schumacher and Barrichello realised the crowd's feelings on the day's proceedings and simply held the trophy aloft one then put it down and walked off later without spraying the champers. Poor old Monteiro was left celebrating by himself which was a shame as it was his first podium though deep down he must have realised the only real reason he won it was because so many pulled out.

Yeah, he'll realise that. But a podium is still a podium. Just like that...guy...winning the indy on the Gild Coast a few years back when it was raining and basically a pit strategy race or something. He might've been in the right place at the right time, but still a win...

He should bask in it while he can, because it may never happen again. :)

Jester> Michelin screwed up the design of their tyre, for the other tracks it was fine but the high loading on the last banked curve was too high and the tire wall was prone to collapsing. 11 racers using Michelin shod cars had accidents in practice/qualifying so Michelin told the teams using them that they could not guarantee the tyre past more than around 15 or so laps without failing. The teams tried to get the FIA and track owners to put a chicane in to slow the cars down in the last bend but the FIA refused so the teams using Michelin drove out for the parade lap then all peeled into the pitlane before the race started as some kind of protest hence why you saw only 6 cars.

The Ferrari boys, Michael and Rubens, looked pretty embarrassed. Champions don't like to win by default.

F1 is a very dangerous game. I've followed GP racing since I was a little kid, since the days of Jackie Stewart, and I love the sport. But I can't blame those drivers. When a tire company admits that you might blow some rubber, outright refuses to stand by their product -- nope, I think those teams were entitled to pull out. Better than somebody getting hurt or killed piling into the wall. The sport doesn't need another death.

Wolfgang von Trips, Jim Clark, Bruce McLaren, Ronnie Peterson, Giles Villeneauve, Ayrton Senna -- the list goes on and on. How many talented men have to die before we learn our lesson? F1 needs to take a cue from the world's most successful racing series, and that's NASCAR. Safety is serious business.

FIA could have postponed the US GP until suitable tires could be shipped to Indy. It's sort of like when Niki Lauda refused to race at Japan in 1976. The press pilloried him, but nobody who knows anything about the man would ever question Lauda's guts. Instead, FIA should have had the courage to postpone that race because of the rainstorm that flooded the track. There just comes a point where the risk is obscene.

And ditch the Froggie rubber. Bring back Goodyear!