U.S. spy plane crashes in southwest Asia

Donster

I thought that photos could be taken from "spy satellites" these days and there was no need of "spy planes" any more.....or have I been watching too many movies ?? :unsure:

I thought that photos could be taken from "spy satellites" these days and there was no need of "spy planes" any more.....or have I been watching too many movies ??

That was actually the contention until a real war started, then the intelligence and military communities made the startling discovery that mobile targets might not be where a spy satellite spotted them on its last orbit or the orbit might not get an image of the area they wanted to see. Spy planes can provide more accurate data and often faster than waiting for a satellite to come around the earth again. Also, enemy combatants on the ground may know the orbit time and path of the satellite and will just hide when the satellite approaches, manned aircraft are unpredictable and return the element of surprise to intelligence gathering.

Oh, and Skipper, these gentlemen here in the black suits would like to have a word with you. ;)