My very first attempt at skins in any sim

Stans

Please be gentle, this is the first time I have ever attempted to skin a sim aircraft and had any success. Thanks to Schatten for his wonderful MOAT and to Baltar for suggesting GIMP as a free program for images. I do see a glaring error in one of the black numbers, so don't say anything, I know it already. Other error is the fuel tank caps on the wings are the wrong shade of red. I will add more exhaust stains and oil drips as well, but hey, this was my first somewhat successful attempt!!!!

Submitted for your critique.

PS, my wife and right hand person said the reversed black number is so you can read it in your rear view mirror!!!

766_1119522591_il2fb2005-06-23.jpg

766_1119522622_il2fb2005-06-231.jpg

766_1119522659_il2fb2005-06-232.jpg

766_1119522688_il2fb2005-06-233.jpg

Typically Greg, Marine Corps Corsairs, and Navy for that matter, didn't have noseart. 124 was the exception to the rule, but after squadrons started deploying en masse to the Pac in the F4U, a pilot might never fly the same corsair twice in a month. Most squadrons flew pool aircraft and didn't have a bird assigned to a pilot. The shots you see of some pilots, like Boyingtons White-86, Lullu Belle was actually a publicity bird. They'd decorate it for the pilot, then take all that crap off and get her ready for combat. Kill markings weren't put on the birds as higher commands thought that might single out the better pilots to the enemy so they could go after them.

Looks good Stan.

Only thing I can see Stans is the "lined" stencil wasn't used on the -1s, didn't start that until '44 I don't think but I could be wrong.

Otherwise looks good. :thumbsup:

EDIT: And the GSB wheel hubs, same-same, think only on carriers in '45.

Just uncheck that layer and they'll go bye bye.

The wheel wells are salmon. The F4U-1 and -1A, from the few documents I have seen, were the only ones with salmon colored wheel wells. During a re-paint, these would most likely have been sprayed with white.

As for the wheels, the Corsair I am trying to replicate appears to have dark colored wheels, color varied from one bird to another. The factory color was an argent silver, but wheels were also painted intermediate blue or dark blue. The only photo of VMF-124 Corsair white 2 shows a very dark wheel color, so dark blue it is.

Stencil number, yeah, I know, looks like a job for some free hand painting to get it to match the photograph I have.

Nose art. As the Skipper said, it ain't approved and was not the standard. Some USMC units did allow names and nose art, some did not.

By the way, did anybody notice the tailhook? It ain't stripped. It isn't supposed to be stripped, at least not on most early Corsairs. In fact, most early Corsairs ended up having their tailhooks removed. Why have a tailhook that adds weight to your bird if you are land based?

So F4U-1 White 2 really did exsist and I will try to replicate it as best I can. I already have ideas for additional F4U-1's, -1A's and -1D's.

Really wish we had the -4, also known as the ultimate Corsair. Considered by many pilots to have been the pinacle of the Corsair line, even better than the "everything is automatic" -5 series.

This number 25 is not this bad job for big number one skin. But issues have arrise.

1 Need some holes Stans for greatest realism!

3 Ronin becomes announce here to help.

4 Will also make a better looks with rapidly combustion. ;)

Looks good Stans. Schatten really has done some good work with that thing. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

that is one thumb up for each of you.

Ahh! The only thing saving my mind from collapsing from that mental image is that I have no idea what you or Shatten look like. Phew.

:ph43r:

Mother

Of

All

Templates

It's the crazy template I made for Corsairs, I actually hit the Paint Shop Pro layer limit on it so there's a supplemental template of extra laters. Took me...ummm...how long did it take me to make? A long friggin' time that's all I know.

It was at least a month that he worked on that thing, but it is a powerful tool for skinning the Corsair. So Schatt, when are you going to do one for the ..........Hellcat?

(Stans runs away as quick as he can in a zig zag fashion hoping to outrun Schatt or dodge anything thrown or launched)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know you hate the Hellcat, that seems to be the only button you have that can be pushed with ease. :D

The Hellcat is easy to skin, the -3 came in two flavors:

blue-gray over gray for the early production run and not many of those made it into combat

Tri-color scheme, which was the predominant scheme seen on the -3's.

The -5, and I don't care what Oleg thinks, was produced only in overall glossy dark sea blue. Where Oleg and company got the idea that the -5 was produced in the tri-color scheme I'll never know. I guess he got this information from the same place he got the color scheme for the -1C Corsair.

The only -1C Corsair to wear the tri-color scheme was the test model, a -1A, that Vought modified with the four 20mm cannon arrangement. All production -1C's and -1D's were painted overall glossy dark sea blue.

No -1's or -1A's had twin pylons except for Vought's experimental -1D, which of course was a converted -1A. A great number of -1's did have one outer wing rack on each wing, made by Brewster, the model designation was 41-2, for a 100 pound bomb. As far as I know no -1A's were fitted with these racks. The 1's and -1A's had centerline attachment points for a 170 gallon drop tank, these are the points that combat units used to attach their hand built bomb rack for carrying a single 500 or 1000 pound bomb. It was Brewster who standardized the design and made field kits for this installation.

For a company with such a bad reputation, they sure did do a lot for the Corsair! From all the historical documents, it seems that Brewster's reputation was not deserved, their Corsairs were found to be of very high quality and extremely reliable. The U.S. Navy shut down Brewster at the end of June 1944 because Brewster was continually behind delivery schedules. Brewster had no more than 4000 employees and produced 100 Corsairs per month. Goodyear had over 12,000 employees and produced 150 per month. Seems to me Brewster was doing a better job, costing the government less, but a larger company that ultimately had to be payed more per unit delivered ultimately won the battle for production contracts. Sound familiar?

As for the mistakes in Pacific Fighters, for someone who is supposedly an accuracy freak, he sure screwed the pooch on the Pacific!

Stan, the way I read that Brewster story was that even tho they may have been producing good Corsairs, they were mismanaged and money was disappearing. Tie into that the contractual agreement that was never met. Like my ole Pappy used to say, "never load yalls plate with more than you can stomach."

Brewster had struggled for a long time and management was a problem, as is the case with many companies. Vought was no different. The development of the -4 was grossly over budget. The Navy alotted $232,800.39 for two test aircraft, the final bill was $383,618.61, that's 1.64 times the budgeted amount. Some things just don't change, especially when it comes to government contracts. I expect if you dig deep into the financial records of most, maybe all, companies, you will find discrepancies and waste. It's the nature of the business with the government beast and it will never change. In the end, the final outcome is Brewster lost and the Allies won the war. The Allies winning the war, I think, is the most important aspect.

I know you hate the Hellcat, that seems to be the only button you have that can be pushed with ease.

Nah there are two more. Ask him to do a snow themed Hellcat skin for Targetware.

I know you hate the Hellcat, that seems to be the only button you have that can be pushed with ease. :D

The Hellcat is easy to skin...(insert technical junk about that dumb Smellycat plane, yaddayadda)

To quote one of the great Englishmen of the 20th century,"Whoopdiedoo Basil."

It could come with a self-painting kit that polishes itself, a naked Tahitian bobblehead doll and with a cooler full of beer in the equipment bay and I still wouldn't touch it with a 200 foot pole.

It could come with a 6 month all expenses paid vacation in Morrocco, contraceptives supplied and I'd still turn my nose up at it.

It could come with the keys to the barracks of the Women's Auxillary Balloon Corps, a twister mat and a 40 gallon tub of chocolate pudding...and I still would rather watch grass grow.

Yea verilly Kate Beckingsale could come to my house, in a corsett, during a rainstorm thus being all wet and sultry looking, get down on her hands and knees and beg me to forgive her for Van Helsing by offering to do anything to make up for that tragedy just as long as I'd please, please, for the love of God please make just one Hellcat skin...and I'd go regrout my bathtub.

Yes I mean it. I hate the Hellcat. The Hellcat is junk. I don't do skins for junk.

;)