COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
XLjedi

Good Ole MicroProse

OK, dating myself a bit... 

Some folks out there might be old enough to remember the C64 and Commodore Amiga and those great little flight sims they made in the mid 80's.  The campaigns and storylines on those were a lot of fun and I feel like the last few times I tried to get back into a flight sim, the campaigns and missions felt a little sterile (IL-2 and DCS come to mind) although it's been more than a few years since I looked into combat flight sims. 

I have a Saitek FCS and head tracking gadget and currently enjoy the open world of Elite: Dangerous for a space sim.  Would like to find something fun in terms of modern Jet, Helo, or WWII era simulation.  I'm not really into online or one-off skirmish stuff; would prefer a good solo progressive campaign/story.  Any thoughts?  ...something with carrier ops would be a plus!

I know enough about flying to hold a private pilots license, so no need to lecture me on realism or point to Ace Combat.  …just looking for a fun sim with some campaign depth and maybe on par with stuff I played back when I was a teen; that got me interested in flying to begin with.

You are biased, Mike.  But that's a good thing.  So am I.  I can't relate to jet combat (that Korean sim might have been an exception, if it had ever worked right).  Kills happen beyond visual range and death zips in at lightspeed.  Okay, not quite that fast.  At my age, anything moving at 800 knots is beyond comprehension.

Me, I'd rather be sitting in the cockpit of a P-51, watching as my guns rips chunks off a 109.  Or, as happened more often, watching my airspeed bleed down to less than 200 knots while that pesky German prepares to give me another parachute ride.

Probably, if I had played jet sims way back when, I'd be okay with them.  Alas, I did not.  And I can't find a WW2 sim that gives me the satisfaction of EAW, even though the graphics are a ton better in practically everything these days.  I played War Thunder for a couple years, but it has been taken over by kiddies flying "captured" F4U and P-47 aircraft, so trying to fly a fairly realistic battle is impossible.  Now I play World of Warships, which is slower (suits my reactions) and well detailed.  It takes a long grind to reach the top tiers and cubic dollars don't seem to do players all that much good, so the kids don't seem interested. 

Take care and good luck with your fast movers.

OG

5 hours ago, mikew said:

I'm maybe a bit biased here, but you can't go wrong with 'F22 Total Air War'

Thanks for suggestion...  I guess I was hoping for something maybe a bit more up to date with graphics and so forth.  I did install it and give it a shot.  Definitely looks like a blast from the past, so may still keep it around for a bit.  Never tried it before.

Yes, it's a pity that campaigns haven't evolved since the 1990s. Falcon 4.0 is still quite popular and the BMS mod improves the graphics quite a bit from the 1998 original.

The modern stuff like DCS and IL2 series are visually stunning but not very entertaining IMHO.

We can only hope that CAP2 will be finished at some point. As I understand it, there's only one developer though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/347170/Combat_Air_Patrol_2_Military_Flight_Simulator/

I tried playing European Air War 15 years after the original release and computer graphics and especially monitors have advanced so much it was unbearable and too clunky. If somebody could do a total graphics overhaul I'm sure many veterans from the 1990s would play it again.