Col. Blakeslee P-51D

Rjel

Is there anyone in the audience who might like to preview this skin before I unleash it on the world? As an added bonus, I'll include a Col. Don pilot skin. Hurry, this offer may not be repeated. Depending on the response, it might not even be honored. ;) I'd appreciate your views on panel line details, (such as does it have a 3D look to you) metallic skin effects and weathering.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Rjel

It's looking good! I like the natural metal look and the panel lines. I am not a P-51 expert, but as far as I know, the P-51D had an olive drab green anti glare panel and the markings are more appropriate for one the P-51B's he flew. I found a site with some history on him and his aircraft, I hope it will be of help.

http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/resource/blakeslee.html

I don't know much about Mustang markings either, but the panel lines and aluminum look very good Rjel. :thumbsup:

The weathering is also interesting, I like how you did it, definately there but understated. A lot of people making skins go way overboard on the weathering and it makes it look like the plane just got lifted out of a lake somewhere, this type of weathering you used works well at least in my opinion.

Very nice skin man. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments. I'm certainly not an expert either. I've spent a lot of time researching the 4thFG and Blakeslee. After reading whatever I could find about him for more than twenty years, I finally stumbled across a documentary on the Discovery Channel 3-4 years ago that featured him on camera. It was called Cadillac of the Sky, a short doc about the Mustang. It was only a so-so program, but it had Col. Blakslee commenting on his impressions of the plane and fighting the airwar. Obviously the man has grown old, but his eye were as blue as you've seen in photographs and as intense as anyone's I've ever seen. He looked like an intimidating man at that point in time, which matches up well with what I've read of him. Considering he must have been around 80 years old then, I could only imagine what a dynamic personality he must have been in his prime. An incredible man that most people have forgotten.

Stans - I really struggle with olive drab. I've tried matching up color pictures. I've tried using different websites that feature paint chips as a reference and I still end up with OD looking too brown, too green, too light or too dark. So I just try to find a color that I hope looks close. As far as the markings, I used this picture and another I have showing WD * C in formation with other 4thFG Mustangs in July '44. I think I'm pretty close. The fuselage star and bars needs to be a little larger. I know I've seen someplace where the exact dimensions and placement for the national insignia for a given plane was detailed, but I can't find it.

Schatten- Thanks. I think some guys do weathering really well. I think some only think they do. I've read accounts numerous times where the planes in the ETO were washed and even waxed to improve their top speed. I know they weren't kept up like restored Mustangs are today, but they didn't look like they were just drudged up either. ;)

Joker- I have a couple of more things to do on the skin. If you'd like I can email you a copy in a couple of days.

I did get your email. Some very sound ideas. I'm going to put some thoughts together and send them your way to see what you think.

Rjel