Stans goes Hollywood, Pacific Fighters style.

Stans

I made this skin as close to my all time favorite Hollywood Corsair, that being FG-1D, civil registration number N62290, BuNo 92529, owned by John Stokes at the time of filming. This aircraft flew in the number two slot during filming.

The inspiration:

766_1119809246_scan.jpg

My skin:

Known issues:

1. Have to use the F4U-1A folder because of the rocket launching stubs on the F4U-1D in the sim. This means the canopy is incorrect for the FG-1D.

2. Incorrect antenna mast arrangement, have no idea of how to fix it.

3. Lacking one kill flag, by the time I got to this, adding one flag just wasn't worth the effort. It can be very frustrating creating such a unique skin with GIMP.

4. Antenna wire; civilian owned Corsairs usually do not have the antenna wire as the radios were replaced by UHF units which do not require such a long antenna.

766_1119809348_blacksheep2a.jpg

The arrow was pretty hard to make with GIMP as that program lacks features such as "draw straight line".

766_1119809371_blacksheep2b.jpg

Yep, those are post-Corsair production one piece stamped steel wheels. Took me a while to make those too!

766_1119809391_blacksheep2c.jpg

And there is the civil registration number, fairly close to the actual placement on the real one.

766_1119809418_blacksheep2d.jpg

This project consumed four hours of my life. Was it worth it? I dunno, it's not like I would fly this in a mission with the 124. But I might fly it in a free-for-all warm up. Mostly I just always wanted to fly this bird, got a crummy old Monogram 1/48 scale F4U-4B model that I modified as best I could to make it look like an FG-1D and painted to match this Corsair from many years ago. Hmmm... now that there are some really good F4U-1D models on the market, maybe I should build a replacement. I'll put that on my "to do" list. ;)