Who has FS2004

Shepherd

I just got it yesterday and I pulled a Gunner and flew for 14 hours. I flew a Lear from Knoxville, TN, to Birmingham, ALA, to Sonoma, California to watch the race. Yeah I know sick. Then I looked at Virtual Airlines and flew some of their routes as well. All in all I got myself a good 13 hours in the air.

Just wanted to know who else is flying it regular.

BTW, Skipper, you are not reading where I flew another sim so long. You did not see this it is a dream.

I have it. It is good for practice especially and will teach you some things if you do the lessons. I don't fly it very often but I learned more about trim and power settings etc from it than from IL-2. Though I think Pacific Fighters is pretty good, it does not have flying lessons built in.

Shep, get a good terrain upgrade for the areas you like to fly in, it really makes a big difference in the scenery. There are loads of them. You can get accurate roads, shorelines, and elevation data. You think it is cool now, try it when you really recognize the areas!

I flew by my house in a Helo. It is cool. I am flying area's I know well KATL, KTYS,KACH, KAGS. It is cool. I have nbot found how to reverse the engines just yet so landing is easy stopping is the trees.

They did put a lot of land marks in the cities but the roads and stuff are just approximate. You can fly real VFR if you add a little to it but it will impact your system performance the more you add.

This looks really cool for my neck of the woods:

http://www.horizonsimulation.com/UK/html/vfr_terrain.html

You can get stuff like that for all over.

Oh yeah those Helos are really hard to set down. I can do it safely but never quite where I want. Helo pads are out of the question. Some buildings have them. It is tough.

When I was dallying with CFS3 I tried taking off from RAF Catterick and flying up the Tees Valley. There was nothing in that sim that I recognised; even Catterick's runway pointed in the wrong direction.

Great research, Microshaft. <_<

Doing that route properly sounds cool; I may have to invest in FS2004. I take it that the accurate data came from enthusiasts?

I have not added anything to mine as I have only had it one day. I have been able to understand where I am by landmark and such. I like it. I see where they have Virtual Airlines who fly all over and they have this VATSIM where you get real time data of others flying online as well. That seems cool, to have ATC of the others flying.

I have added a few aircraft, not many but 4. Each is harder. I am flying IFR right now. I flew from KATL to KTYS with no auto pilot, which was a challange because the nose wanted to climb so much on the Beechcraft. It was fun though.

I think this will help me in PF.

I'm afraid it is a little of both and just like with combat sims, the best stuff tends to be commercial but you can find a lot of freeware. FS2004 has very accurate runways. I am sure there are some errors but by and large they did a really good job.

Stag if you have heard of the "milenium map" project you can actually buy that data and have something like 20GB of photographic (not "photorealistic") scenery. You can find your house for real and follow roads etc. Follow that link above.

I have mixed feelings about the photographic scenery though terrain mesh upgrades are undeniably good.

1. it is flat, no trees or 3d buildings, just a 2d image, there is terrain but it tends not to line up unless you upgrade that too with really accurate data. You get riverbanks that have rivers on the sides of them and Cornish coasts with cliffs with the ocean climbing up them. If you have the accurate data though that is all fixed.

2. It looks great above 2000 feet but below that it looks pixellated

3. It takes forever to load. It seriously takes about 5 minutes or more to load a flight from your own hard drive with the photo scenery.

4. It tends to go blurry if you turn a lot. It has to work with a finite amount of RAM and distant textures are compressed. There is so much data that as you move around it can't keep up.

5. I expect it will greatly accelerate wear on your hard drive. I know that is a sore point with some folks!

I think it would be cool if some more of use got it and we could multiplay training or "visit" other guy's areas and do some sight seeing in formation etc.

I have FS2004, but I'm putting more effort into doing some skins for Pacific Fighters at the moment. I haven't taken FS2004 for any long hops, just flying around my local area. The detail is not the greatest, major landmarks are correct, but cities and suburbs are somewhat generic. Airports seem pretty realistic with the placement of structures, runways and taxiways. They even show the Petersburg, VA airport with one runway blocked and building in the middle of the runway, just like the real thing. I haven't a clue as to why there is a building in the middle of one of the runways. :huh: