COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Donster

Sunday

Morning y'all.  At 0715 it was cloudy and 33F, at 0730 it was snowing and 32F, now it is 31F and snowing.  Expecting temperatures to hold right at freezing today and we will see snow all day.  Snowfall rates may reach or exceed 1 inch per hour this afternoon.  We are expecting... depends upon the forecast.  The Weather Channel and local independent forecaster say 5-8 inches, 2-4 inches or 3-6 inches forecast by local tv stations and 4-7 inches by the National Weather Service.  How it ends also depends upon the forecaster with some saying snow all the way into the wee hours of Monday, some saying it will change to sleet and freezing rain tonight, some saying it will end as several hours of rain tonight.  So spin that big weather wheel and place your bets!

Most churches have cancelled services for today, a few businesses are closed and a few have already declared they are opening late tomorrow.  I'm holding out for now, I'll make the decision on Monday's schedule later, I'm hoping this mess turns to rain and is washed away tonight.

In Columbia Falls it's 24F and mostly cloudy.  It hasn't been above freezing except momentarily for about a week.  No big deal.  It is Montana after all.

Where Stans is they must not get much snow.  4-7" here is hardly worth mentioning.  We've had very little snow this winter, but that will change eventually.  Winters are generally cold November through March but actual snowfall depends on weather patterns in the Pacific Northwest and Canada.  Also, we have these mountains stirring the air.  Forecasting snow anytime between September and June is reasonable regardless of current conditions.  No one pays much attention until snow begins to fall. 

Then they warm up the snow blower or feed the huskies, depending on where they live.

:)  OG

We do get snow here in Virginia, but mostly in the mountains.  Down here in central VA, not so much.  Our typical big storms do dump 4-8 inches, but they occur in late January through February, about the time when you might want a day or two off from work.  They don't happen in the middle of December and it's looking like today's storm will shatter the record for snowfall in mid-December.

Oh, and VDOT has their local vehicles equipped with plows.

knqSyPVl.jpg

And there are plenty of private contractors plowing the roads and parking lots.

kx+tractor+plow.jpg

Great to see Virginia has invested in decent infrastructure to deal with anything winter can throw at it.

Old Guy, can you see Yellowstone from where you are?

I'm doing a crossword and one of the clues is 'US state with Yellowstone'. I thought it was Wyoming, but Montana would fit in better with the letters I've already got.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

Great to see Virginia has invested in decent infrastructure to deal with anything winter can throw at it.

Old Guy, can you see Yellowstone from where you are?

I'm doing a crossword and one of the clues is 'US state with Yellowstone'. I thought it was Wyoming, but Montana would fit in better with the letters I've already got.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's 2 PM, we have a solid 4 inches of snow accumulation and the new forecast is now calling for 6 to 10 inches of snow before getting a sleet/freezing rain mix very late tonight.

BtxA1To.jpg

And as I was watching The Weather Channel, they are talking about this weekend's storm and that another storm will move through the east coast next weekend.  The next storm will be rain, but I could not believe it when the meteorologist who was giving a reason as to why we are seeing weekend storms actually said it was because of all the people who get in their cars and travel on weekends.  The pollution from those cars seeds the atmosphere and causes weekend storms.  :wacko:

Stans, that guff is all in line with the Global Warming agenda.  Cars are evil.

I read an article some time ago where the author maintained that the bad weather following WW2 was due to the increase in the number of vehicles being driven by returning soldiers and their families.  The fact of 6 years of warfare complete with massive fires, smoke, and other environmental disasters seems to have escaped him completely.

Mikew, Yellowstone is in three states, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.  I imagine 95%+ is in Wyoming.

OG

Of course it is. Everybody knows that!

15 minutes ago, Stans said:

And as I was watching The Weather Channel, they are talking about this weekend's storm and that another storm will move through the east coast next weekend.  The next storm will be rain, but I could not believe it when the meteorologist who was giving a reason as to why we are seeing weekend storms actually said it was because of all the people who get in their cars and travel on weekends.  The pollution from those cars seeds the atmosphere and causes weekend storms.  :wacko:

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Mikew, Yellowstone is in three states, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.  I imagine 95%+ is in Wyoming.

Thanks! although once I got to _O_T__A. I put down Montana anyway.

Didn't it used to be totally within Wyoming? Maybe that magma chamber is creeping northwards...

That looks pretty bleak, Stans....and I see your flag is at half mast. My condolences.

Always amusing to to read about global warming/climate change in the media.

Not so amusing to read the science, but who cares about that?

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Stans, that guff is all in line with the Global Warming agenda.  Cars are evil.

I read an article some time ago where the author maintained that the bad weather following WW2 was due to the increase in the number of vehicles being driven by returning soldiers and their families.  The fact of 6 years of warfare complete with massive fires, smoke, and other environmental disasters seems to have escaped him completely.

OG

Yep, it has nothing at all to do with natural weather cycles.  The earth was perfect until 1940, since then man has turned it into an oven, yep, has nothing to do with natural cycles, the earth was neither hot nor cold before man-made global warming.  Please disregard any written history or evidence presented by trees that are hundreds of years old, this is a completely new phenomenon and is man's fault.

59 minutes ago, mikew said:

Thanks! although once I got to _O_T__A. I put down Montana anyway.

Didn't it used to be totally within Wyoming? Maybe that magma chamber is creeping northwards...

That looks pretty bleak, Stans....and I see your flag is at half mast. My condolences.

Always amusing to to read about global warming/climate change in the media.

Not so amusing to read the science, but who cares about that?

Flag at half-staff for 30 days, flag etiquette for the death of a sitting or former President of the United States.

Almost 6:30 PM and there is at least 9 inches of snow on the ground and it's going to snow for another 3 or 4 hours. :blink:

11 hours ago, Stans said:

Almost 6:30 PM and there is at least 9 inches of snow on the ground and it's going to snow for another 3 or 4 hours. :blink:

Keep that white scheiss out your way. They used to tell us that the heavy snow was caused by to many cattle and hog farts. The farmers must have been forced to put anal gas filtering systems on all the four legged farm animals. Left the chickens and turkeys alone. For now. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Donster said:

Keep that white scheiss out your way. They used to tell us that the heavy snow was caused by to many cattle and hog farts. The farmers must have been forced to put anal gas filtering systems on all the four legged farm animals. Left the chickens and turkeys alone. For now. :rolleyes:

That sounds like the sort of job Fick would have and enjoy. :rofl: