COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Guy

OG wanders into DCS World

Okay, so I downloaded DCS World and started into the learning cliff (some call it a curve -- NOT!).

Now that I've successfully turned several TF-51 aircraft into aluminum waste, I have to say the sim is likeable, if complex.  I did have some problems with the taxi and takeoff tutorials.  In the taxi lesson the vehicle you're supposed to follow never appears until you're already rolling past the first taxiway.  I ran it three times before I gave up on the vehicle and just . . . taxied.

In the takeoff tutorial the throttle inputs were courtesy the numpad + and - buttons, which would have been okay except each press of the key applied way too much throttle.  Again, after several failed attempts, I disregarded the instructor and took off on my own.  Successfully.  Clearly, as far as general feel for the controls in concerned, previous flight sim experience helps.

The DCS World section on Csim is quiet.  Not much going on there.  Where is the best place to link up with other players -- other than the DCS forums?

What about a controller?  I'm using a TM Flight stick X.  I'm sure there's something better out there.  Is anyone actually making an FF stick?  The game supports FF.  My old Microsoft FF stick expired long ago.

I'm off to do some reading and research.

OG

Tooling around in the P-51 or A-10 is about all I've done in DCS as well, but that was ages ago so there may be updates.

I may fire it up again if I get any time over the weekend.

OG,

You can join me and Deacon in our Discord channel if you'd like to get the word on DCS straight from the horses' mouths, so to speak.

Forum wise, the DCS official forums are here: https://forums.eagle.ru/

Those guys (and gals) on that forum are the veterans and you'll get great answers to any and all of your questions.

If you decide to join Deacon and me on Discord, get the Discord app here.

I private message'd you an invite you can use to join in. You can text us in there, but it's better for all if you have a microphone, that way we can chat.

No can do DCS.  My computer won’t handle it.

Even with everything graphical set to Low, the game stops and starts constantly.  The game forums make it clear that DCS is a resource hog.  If I decide to upgrade my rig later this year I may try it again.

OG

OG,

Totally understand. DCS is very demanding of both CPU and graphics hardware.

Ping me when you upgrade your rig and we'll go shoot down some MiG's together :)