2lbs test line

Shepherd

It was probably a folk tale but the TVA builts tons of dams all over the south in the 30s and 40s. One of those dams in Alabama is Wheeler Dam, named for "Fightin" Joe Wheeler. They had sent divers down to work on something on the lake end of the dam and they come back up and said they weren't ever goin back down there. "Catfish down there big enough to swallow a man" so they say. Looks like now, that may not be far from the truth.

Roger that. TVA flooded my family's bottomland in the 1930s to make Lake Pickwick in Alabama. They paid us for the land, I guess. I think we invested the money in building a still. (That is not a joke; I've see the actual still.)

Yep, we Sullivans are real entrepreneurs ... :rolleyes:

TVA did a lot of that. Bad thing was it ruined all that good bottom land. Good thing was it put alot of people to work. Course, back then people actually wanted to work.

TVA did a lot of that.  Bad thing was it ruined all that good bottom land.  Good thing was it put alot of people to work.  Course, back then people actually wanted to work.

Unless they were Sullivans, of course ... :D

Very true, though, Skip. One thing that always impresses me about Depression-era America is that people didn't want handouts -- they wanted jobs.

Wonder why our troops could stand places like Guadalcanal and the Hertgen Forest? They'd already lived through the Depression. Self-reliance makes people confident, and stubborn.

EDIT: Tennessee Valley Authority, Staggers. Public-works project in the 1930s that build dams to generate power throughout the South.

Tennesse Valley Authority. One of FDR's programs to put the nation back on it's feet post-depression.

Gotta remember what I do for a living. Guess I look at it from the dregs of our society and not where I'm actually at.

Yeah I heard the same lore about a bridge on the Cumberland River in Tenessee...interesting, another TVA project. But there is something big in there. My dad ran what he called a "trot line" made with some thin paracord type stuff and lots of saltwater deep sea hooks coming off it on smaller lines. We put rotten catfish bits on the thing, tied it to a tree and let the current take it downstream. This river BTW is very big. We put this out with a canoe. The next evening we came back and caught nothing but some of the hooks were straightened. I think it was probably a big alligator snapping turtle, but who knows, maybe the catfish are that big too. They have had some huge snappers come out of there and my step mother said she saw one swimming in an inlet we fished with a head the size of a man's. No way I wanted to swim in there. For those of you that don't know what an alligator snapper looks like, it is sort of a cross between a dinosaur and a turtle.

Tennesse Valley Authority. One of FDR's programs to put the nation back on it's feet post-depression.

Gotta remember what I do for a living. Guess I look at it from the dregs of our society and not where I'm actually at.

S! Shawn. But if you want a media case, just look at Jack the Ripper. If you wanted evidence that 19th century English society was going to hell in a handbasket, look no further.

Then again, how many incidents like a currently "totally innocent superstar" existed but never came to light, just because communications were poorer then?

Oh make no mistake that them 'Cats get big. We used to run trot lines all the time. Best thing we found for biat were livers. But we pulled a 35lb Channel Cat (five pounds shy of the state record) out of the Warrior River and there was an old boy that owned a bait shop had a live Blue Cat in a huge aquarium that in his shop. It was the pushing sixty pounds itself. State Record for a catfish in Alabama is 111lbs at, get this yall, Wheeler Reservoir. May be something to that tale yet.

S! Shawn. But if you want a media case, just look at Jack the Ripper. If you wanted evidence that 19th century English society was going to hell in a handbasket, look no further.

Then again, how many incidents like a currently "totally innocent superstar" existed but never came to light, just because communications were poorer then?

Roger that Bro! Just being synical ole cuss right now.

I don't think people have changed as much as expectations have changed, Stag.

Today, people expect a government handout, whereas sixty years ago they didn't expect something for nothing. Even the Bonus Marchers were asking for money they were already owed. They just wanted it before they retired, instead of after.

You're right, I think, people from different eras aren't fundamentally different. If the government stops with the handouts, people today are fully capable of adjusting and fending for themselves, just as their ancestors did. They just don't know it, yet.

And I think you're quite right with your example of the Jack the Ripper case. A century ago the press was just as bad as the media is today, maybe even worse. Today, the difference is that technology has made it all louder, and more persistent.

Funny, on our honeymoon five years ago we took a Jack the Ripper walking tour in London. That pub, the Three Bells, is one creepy place ...

Ah yes Lee, but how do you keep the people in check? You give them handouts and keep them stupid. The keeping them stupid has worked in Mexico for how many years now? FDR did many great and wonderful things. But he also started the perception that the people were owed something by the government. It has been exploited from both sides, politicians and people, for too many years.

Ah yes Lee, but how do you keep the people in check? You give them handouts and keep them stupid. The keeping them stupid has worked in Mexico for how many years now? FDR did many great and wonderful things. But he also started the perception that the people were owed something by the government. It has been exploited from both sides, politicians and people, for too many years.

Roger that, Skip. Worked for the Romans -- bread and circuses ...

Oh make no mistake that them 'Cats get big. We used to run trot lines all the time. Best thing we found for biat were livers. But we pulled a 35lb Channel Cat (five pounds shy of the state record) out of the Warrior River and there was an old boy that owned a bait shop had a live Blue Cat in a huge aquarium that in his shop. It was the pushing sixty pounds itself. State Record for a catfish in Alabama is 111lbs at, get this yall, Wheeler Reservoir. May be something to that tale yet.

Gunny, I have, with my own eyes, seen a 57 pd cat pulled out of Lake Rousseau in Florida...helped pull the big SOB out of the boat. And heard much the same stories of cats in the Rodman Dam spillways south of Palatka. The story I hear, is that a cat will put his lazy self in the spillway, and just eat what comes through. After a certain umber of years, he pushes out the competition, and sorta fills the pipe up...or near so.

Boats