COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Donster

Sunday

Morning all. 40F under overcast skies with fog. Chance of showers. Patchy fog. Winds out of the S at 10-15 MPH. High of 45F.

Achy, chilly morning y'all.  Partly cloudy skies and 28F, expecting a partly cloudy day with a high of 61F.  Off to Sam's Club this morning for what will likely be four new tires as the ones that have been on my Honda for a little less than 3 years have been discontinued. 

Last night my wife and I were on our way home from dinner out when I had a tire tread part company with the casing.  Changing a tire on the side of a very busy exit ramp in the dark is not fun.  The only person who stopped to see if we needed help was a police officer.  When he arrived, I had already put the flat in the back of my Honda, had the spare on and was starting to put the lug nuts on.  I did get to talk to the officer for a few minutes about the tire, he said it looked like tread separation and we talked about how no one cares about there fellow man.  He blocked traffic so that I could safely get back onto the ramp and off we went.  A few miles further down the bypass and I took an exit to get home by surface streets and we encountered a disabled vehicle.  The conversation with the officer was not lost on me.  I stopped, provided traffic protection, and offered aid to the stranded motorist, a young family of three.  So I had a nice dinner, a workout, and did a good deed.

Oh, and no more Dunlop (Goodyear) tires for me if I am buying new tires.  I'll be going back to Michelin, the last set of Michelin's I had still had good tread on them after 40,000 miles, they were replaced because after nearly 7 years the sidewalls were cracked.

Good on the police officer and you Mike for helping someone in need. :thumbsup:

Dunlop tires aren't known for being all that wonderful. I have a set on my car, which it came with unfortunately. But I will be parting ways with the car in four months, so I don't care. I will say they have been good in snow, very capable on dry pavement. And quiet on the highway. The cornering ability has much to be desired, and on rain slick highway driving they hydroplane worse then any tire I have ever owned. 

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a set of Pirelli P4 All-Season radials.  These tires seem to have good reviews, a good report from Consumer Reports, and the service manager at Sam's Club said he used to use Michelin's, but the only thing he puts on his own cars these days are Pirelli tires.  They did seem pretty good on the drive home, a little quieter and a little smoother than the Dunflop's.  Oh, and I didn't even make it out of Sam's Club without another first responder incident.  An elderly woman collapsed in a check out lane, possible vascular accident, I stayed with her until EMS took over. 

16 hours ago, Stans said:

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a set of Pirelli P4 All-Season radials.  These tires seem to have good reviews, a good report from Consumer Reports, and the service manager at Sam's Club said he used to use Michelin's, but the only thing he puts on his own cars these days are Pirelli tires.  They did seem pretty good on the drive home, a little quieter and a little smoother than the Dunflop's.  Oh, and I didn't even make it out of Sam's Club without another first responder incident.  An elderly woman collapsed in a check out lane, possible vascular accident, I stayed with her until EMS took over. 

:thumbsup:

So, Stans, are you the resident Good Samaritan now?  We've needed one for a long time.  :)

I have run Pirellis on my cars for some time.  Their all-season tires do seem to run quieter on the highway, though in this neck of the woods the pavement consists of a purposely rough form of asphalt.  It makes for safer winter driving.  You get a fair amount of road noise no matter what tires you run.

OG

Much of the asphalt around here is also rough.  It doesn't start out that way, but after years of exposure it gets round, full of pot holes, patches, and then occasionally a sealer of fine gravel and tar is sprayed on it.

Here is a pic of the tire in question.

EBmLayd.jpg?1

Grateful that it was the right rear and not a front tire.  And if it had been on the left side, I would have likely ended up as a greasy, red patch on the road as drivers around here are not courteous and will even slam into the back of police cars and fire trucks.

As for me be the resident do-gooder, I have my moments, but I am a dentist, so that pretty well stereotypes me as a greedy, evil, sadist. :lol:

51 minutes ago, Stans said:

As for me be the resident do-gooder, I have my moments, but I am a dentist, so that pretty well stereotypes me as a greedy, evil, sadist.

Whoops.  My bad.  I forgot for a moment that you were a dentist.

Wouldn't want to disturb your sadistic image.

OG

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Whoops.  My bad.  I forgot for a moment that you were a dentist.

Wouldn't want to disturb your sadistic image.

OG

This is me. :D